PDA

View Full Version : Anyone involved in local GOP?

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I was just looking into our local GOP organization, and was wondering if anyone has experience with what they do exactly. It seems that in my county GOP, they have one central meeting, and three of the townships have meetings on their own (my township does not). What typically goes on at these meetings? Are they open to the public? Is the reason for not having township meetings usually low turnout? Is there a dress code at the meeting (business casual ok or tie and jacket)? Is this a good place to get started in taking over the GOP?

rob-NC
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I have tried to email my County GOP several times and have gotten NO responses out of them. SOOOOO Im going to drop in on their friggin Executive GOP meeting next week and introduce myself :D

Janet0116
02-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Apparently, my county GOP chairmen quit without telling the State party. It's a big clusterfuck here. I'm telling you, the GOP party is rotten from the head all the way down. Takeover time!!!

pcosmar
02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I tried much earlier on. The local GOP chairman is Openly hostile towards Ron Paul. The state GOP has not been at all helpful.
Saul Anuzis, backed off the open hostility after he had his office phones and server overwhelmed, but is not a friend. His first attack failed and he has shut up. That is as positive as it gets.
I have written off these idiots as a lost cause.

Eponym_mi
02-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Many local GOP organizations will be like a high school clique. If you don't fit their mold, expect to be shunned.

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I have tried to email my County GOP several times and have gotten NO responses out of them. SOOOOO Im going to drop in on their friggin Executive GOP meeting next week and introduce myself :D

I just sent an e-mail to our chairman. I'm thinking that if alot of the country is inactive as I think they may be at a local level, we could easily take over. Sure, alot of folks usually vote Republican, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who's been at a meeting.

Our next central meeting is Feb 27th, if I don't get a response I may drop in. It's just in the next town over.

Also makes me wonder why we have a "chairman" for every township, yet only three townships have meetings. Whats the point of a chairman who doesn't have meetings?

rob-NC
02-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I tried much earlier on. The local GOP chairman is Openly hostile towards Ron Paul. The state GOP has not been at all helpful.
Saul Anuzis, backed off the open hostility after he had his office phones and server overwhelmed, but is not a friend. His first attack failed and he has shut up. That is as positive as it gets.
I have written off these idiots as a lost cause.

I suppose that with my county gop having Mccain news articles up isnt a good sign....gonna have to change that ;)

rob-NC
02-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I just sent an e-mail to our chairman. I'm thinking that if alot of the country is inactive as I think they may be at a local level, we could easily take over. Sure, alot of folks usually vote Republican, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who's been at a meeting.

Our next central meeting is Feb 27th, if I don't get a response I may drop in. It's just in the next town over.

Also makes me wonder why we have a "chairman" for every township, yet only three townships have meetings. Whats the point of a chairman who doesn't have meetings?

I thought the "vice" chair had the authority to overide the chair if meetings arent called?

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Many local GOP organizations will be like a high school clique. If you don't fit their mold, expect to be shunned.

I'm curious of their numbers. I grew up in this area, lived here 34 years now except for a stint in the army. How big is the clique? I'm more curious about township than county at the moment. I doubt my clique is bigger than the county, but since our township doesn't even hold meetings is it ripe for the taking?

nullvalu
02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Yep, I've been in contact with my county's GOP secretary. Technically speaking, any Republican can go to these meetings. They are supposed to be open to the public.

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I thought the "vice" chair had the authority to overide the chair if meetings arent called?

Doesn't even look like our townships have vice chairs, only the county does:

http://www.lakecountygop.net/leadership.html

nullvalu
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I should also mention, the easiest way into the GOP and to begin the takeover is to become Precinct Committeemen. These positions are largely left vacant due to inactivity.

rob-NC
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Doesn't even look like our townships have vice chairs, only the county does:

http://www.lakecountygop.net/leadership.html

your county site at least seems to be a little less cluttered. Here is the one here:
http://www.waynegop.com/

Looks like some of the mccain stuff is gone...Hmm

rob-NC
02-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I should also mention, the easiest way into the GOP and to begin the takeover is to become Precinct Committeemen. These positions are largely left vacant due to inactivity.

Oooo good point. Will definately check on that one!!

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:29 PM
your county site at least seems to be a little less cluttered. Here is the one here:
http://www.waynegop.com/

Looks like some of the mccain stuff is gone...Hmm

Ouch.. I think someone out your direction is slightly colorblind.

rob-NC
02-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Ouch.. I think someone out your direction is slightly colorblind.

hehehe...maybe I will uh...."volunteer" to redo their website once I get in the door

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:34 PM
hehehe...maybe I will uh...."volunteer" to redo their website once I get in the door

I think you should.

Or recommend that they put a new index.htm page up warning people with epilepsy or other disorders like many video games have nowdays. That thing is pretty painful.

nullvalu
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM

This is *exactly* what I offered my county GOP to get my foot in the door!! It's a great approach.

hillbilly
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I was just looking into our local GOP organization, and was wondering if anyone has experience with what they do exactly. It seems that in my county GOP, they have one central meeting, and three of the townships have meetings on their own (my township does not). What typically goes on at these meetings? Are they open to the public? Is the reason for not having township meetings usually low turnout? Is there a dress code at the meeting (business casual ok or tie and jacket)? Is this a good place to get started in taking over the GOP?

I'm quite rural....been involved with local gop for a few years now. Our precinct meetings are combined with a couple other precincts & we decide as a precinct who we choose to endorse. This is a great time to propose resolutions & such.

Then our county gop convention is a month later & we make our proposals & vote on our preferences as a county. We then take those to district convention.

As a rural precinct delegate (bottom of the rung) I can tell you that there are many vacancies at all levels of convention. We have a hard time filling up our precinct positions & even then, some of those are there in name only & never attend precinct meetings or conventions. Few from county attend district & even fewer yet attend state convention.

I can say that this year will probably have more active precinct officials than we've seen in many a year.

I'm going all the way to cast my vote for Ron Paul delegates at state convention.
As a precinct delegate, I'm allowed that vote.

The gop precinct meetings are open to anyone who is registered Republican & has an address in that voting precinct.

Did I answer them all? LOL!

nullvalu
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
If you are wondering what a Precinct Committeeman is, read this from the Eagle Forum: http://www.eagleforum.org/misc/brochures/precinct-committman.shtml

hillbilly
02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
This is *exactly* what I offered my county GOP to get my foot in the door!! It's a great approach.

If a person is a registered Republican, they are automatically part of the county gop. All you have to to is to attend precinct meetings & make your voice heard.

Seriously.

:cool:

But they do love helpful young folk, too. ;)

hillbilly
02-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm quite rural....been involved with local gop for a few years now. Our precinct meetings are combined with a couple other precincts & we decide as a precinct who we choose to endorse. This is a great time to propose resolutions & such.

Then our county gop convention is a month later & we make our proposals & vote on our preferences as a county. We then take those to district convention.

As a rural precinct delegate (bottom of the rung) I can tell you that there are many vacancies at all levels of convention. We have a hard time filling up our precinct positions & even then, some of those are there in name only & never attend precinct meetings or conventions. Few from county attend district & even fewer yet attend state convention.

I can say that this year will probably have more active precinct officials than we've seen in many a year.

I'm going all the way to cast my vote for Ron Paul delegates at state convention.
As a precinct delegate, I'm allowed that vote.

The gop precinct meetings are open to anyone who is registered Republican & has an address in that voting precinct.

Did I answer them all? LOL!

I should mention that I'm in NC.

limequat
02-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Just today I got my name on the ballot to become the local precinct delegate. Basically, you vote for yourself at the convention and get in. Had we done this 2 years ago, MI would be a RP state at the brokered convention. I urge my fellow michaganders to get down to their county clerk and sign up!

hillbilly
02-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Just today I got my name on the ballot to become the local precinct delegate. Basically, you vote for yourself at the convention and get in. Had we done this 2 years ago, MI would be a RP state at the brokered convention. I urge my fellow michaganders to get down to their county clerk and sign up!

AWESOME!!!!

When is your state convention?

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
If you are wondering what a Precinct Committeeman is, read this from the Eagle Forum: http://www.eagleforum.org/misc/brochures/precinct-committman.shtml

Great link, favorited it for further reading. After reading that link, I think that's something we should all do.

LandonCook

Yes.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=111876

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104177

limequat
AWESOME!!!!

When is your state convention?

August 5th. It's too late to vote for this years primary, but we have a congress seat, and several local spots open. This is why its important to get Phase 2 going here. We have several spots open and not enough RP people to fill them!

hopeforamerica
02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes, me and my husbands are PCs. We will try to become elected delegates this spring.

LandonCook
02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, me and my husbands are PCs. We will try to become elected delegates this spring.

Delegates and PCs are not involved with the party. Members, Chair members, committeemen, sectaries... Ect... Are party of the local party.

nullvalu
02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Great link, favorited it for further reading. After reading that link, I think that's something we should all do.

I think I'll just post it here for those who don't wanna click the link.. :)

The Most Powerful Office In The World
Is NOT The President of the United States!

Now wait a minute. Isn't the President of the United States the leader of the Western World, the man with his hand on the nuclear trigger, the head of a ten-trillion dollar nation?

The President is, indeed, the most powerful man in the world - but the presidency is not the most powerful office in the world.

Another office is more powerful because it chooses whose names will appear on the ballot for elective office and what will be the policies of the political parties that provide the major support for those candidates. To understand why this office is so powerful, you must understand the Seven Steps of government.

1. To change things, you have to change the law.
Are there things about our country you want to change? Taxes? Deficits? Schools? Crime? Abortion? Gay rights? Government funding of anti-social projects? Government over-regulation of business?

Are you satisfied with the way the present Congress is raising our taxes, spending our money, and reducing our liberties?

Our Constitution makes Congress the most powerful branch of government. It can pass laws, impose taxes, and spend our money. State Legislatures are powerful, too, especially over public schools.

So, if you don't like the present policies, what are your going to do about it? Our Constitution gives us a way to remedy laws, policies, and taxes — members of the House of Representatives in Congress and the lower house of each State Legislature must run for office every two years.

2. To change the laws, you have to change the people who make them.
Congress and the State Legislatures pass thousands of laws every year. No citizen or group can possibly read them all, research them to find out their effect in advance, or alert their friends to go into action with letter-writing and phone-calling. Congressmen and State Legislators who have been elected by liberal and anti-family groups will not be receptive to your messages anyway.

If you want to change the laws or taxes, you must elect representatives you can reliably count on to vote conservative and pro-family all the time.

3. To be elected, your candidate must be on the ballot.
How often have you voted for "the lesser of two evils" when you didn't like either of the two candidates running for an important office? Have you ever wondered why, despite the rhetoric, both candidates seem to back the same anti-conservative, liberal and anti-family agenda? How many times is a good conservative, pro-family candidate not even on the ballot?

4. To get on the ballot in a general election, you have to be nominated for an office in a Party Primary Election or Convention.
The winners in the Party Primary or Convention will be the candidates who appear on the ballot in November. Except in very rare cases, all candidates must first win a Party Primary or Convention. Write-in campaigns are theoretically possible, but they rarely succeed. Third-party candidates are theoretically possible, but unless a candidate has as much money as Ross Perot, running as a third-party candidate probably won't be successful and the votes may not even be counted or reported.

5. Candidates endorsed by the Party usually win the Primary Election.
Most voters don't investigate the Primary candidates, or even find out who they are. Sometimes, many candidates run in the Primary for nomination to the same office and the voters are confused. Only a small minority of Americans vote in Primary elections. One of the reasons for the small turnout in Primary elections (in addition to voter apathy) is that you usually must declare yourself a member of one Party or another in order to vote in the Primary. Primary Election rules vary from state to state, but in most states, in order to vote in a Primary you either have to pre-register as a Republican or a Democrat OR ask for a Republican or a Democratic Party ballot on Primary Election day.

Most Americans don't want to do that. The result is that persons nominated to be the "Republican candidates" on the ballot in the general election are chosen by those who are willing to declare themselves "Republican" in the Primary or Convention that selects the nominees.

Sometimes the Party organization actually "endorses" candidates in the Primary Election. Many voters who don't know much about the candidates vote for the "endorsed" candidate just because they are disposed to support that Party's candidate.

6. Primary endorsements are often made by the Party's "County Committee" (or Township Committee, etc.), which is elected by the Precinct Committeemen of the Party.
Each political party has national state, county, township, and (in the big cities) ward organizations (usually called committees or central committees). The county and township committees frequently endorse candidates in the Primary, and that endorsement is often the key to a Primary victory.

The county chairman and the county central committee (or executive committee) are elected every two years (usually) by the Precinct Committeemen (sometimes called Precinct Chairmen) who, in turn, are elected in their individual precincts. Thus, the Chairman of the Madison County Republican Central Committee is elected at a county convention of the more than 200 Madison County Republican Precinct Committeemen who were themselves elected on the ballot in the previous Primary Election.

It's not necessary to have a majority of Precinct Committeemen to influence the endorsement process. In a typical county, some will be liberals and some conservatives, but the majority will be Party Regulars who are interested in patronage and power, not issues. They can be influenced to support your candidate if you can persuasively show that he has a good chance to win. For Party Regulars, winning is the name of the game.

7. It's easy to be elected a Precinct Committeeman.
The way you get elected a Precinct Committeeman is usually very simple. In a typical state, you can call your county clerk and get the necessary forms, get ten of your friends to sign a Petition requesting that you be on the ballot in the Primary as a candidate for Precinct Committeeman, and file the Petition by the required date. Then you walk around your precinct, knock on one door after another, and say, "I would appreciate it if you would vote for me for Precinct Committeeman. You will find me on the Republican ballot in the Primary election on Tuesday, _______________." If you win you are the elected Precinct Committeeman for your precinct.

Of course, if your precinct already has a good Precinct Committeeman who is doing his job, he may not take kindly to you as an upstart and he may defeat you. You should find out the situation before making your decision.

However, a typical county may have dozens of precincts without any Precinct Committeeman because no one has bothered to run. It is sometimes easy to be appointed to one of these positions by calling your Party Chairman. Many precincts have do-nothing Committeemen who can easily be defeated because they don't do their job.

* To change things, we must change the laws.
* To change the laws, we must change the people who make them.
* To get elected, your candidate must be on the ballot.
* To get on the November ballot you must win the Primary.
* To win the Primary, you must get the support of people who make endorsements in the Primary, who reliably vote in the Primary, and who get out the vote of others in the Primary. Those people are the Precinct Committeemen.

Therefore, Precinct Committeeman is the most powerful office in the world because Precinct Committeemen determine who gets the chance to be elected to office at every level of government. Remember, if your candidate is not on the ballot, he will not be elected.

Party rules and titles vary widely from state to state, but usually the two parties in a given state use the same system. Where "Republican" is used, "Democratic" can be substituted. The term "Committeeman" is an office, not a person, so it can be a he or a she.

Duties of the Precinct Committeeman
The Precinct Committeeman is the person who is legally charged with getting out the vote on election day. If he does his job well, he will ring the doorbell of every household in the precinct and ask polite questions to find out the Party and other political views of every voter. (That's called canvassing.) Then, before each election, the Precinct Committeeman will personally deliver campaign literature (such as a marked sample ballot) to every voter who is expected to vote for your Party or candidate. Then the Precinct Committeeman makes sure that all his voters get to the polls on election day. This is the way elections are won.

Powers of the Precinct Committeeman

1. Friendly access to neighbors. Most people are eager to know more about their government and the people who run it. When you introduce yourself as their "Republican Precinct Committeeman," they assume you have something to say. You can provide them with information on candidates and issues. Of course, you don't waste your time on those who would rather get their information from the Precinct Committeeman of the other Party.

2. Respect from elected officials. Since a Precinct Committeeman represents, on average, 500 voters, and has the power to vote for other Party officials and to make endorsements of candidates, any call or letter from a Precinct Committeeman gets the attention of elected officials.

3. Launching pad for other offices. You would be amazed at how many of our Presidents, Senators, Congressmen, and state and local officials started as Precinct Committeemen, and still serve as Precinct Committeemen even though they hold a higher elected office. That's because they know the power of a Precinct Committeeman.

4. Direct influence over Party Platform, policies, and selection of candidates. At state, district, county, and township caucuses and conventions, the Precinct Committeeman is an active player. He can have a tremendous influence on the adoption of the Party Platform and policies, support of or opposition to issues, and selection of candidates.

RPinSEAZ
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Delegates and PCs are not involved with the party. Members, Chair members, committeemen, sectaries... Ect... Are party of the local party.

Actually here in AZ they are. In AZ, PCs (Precinct Committeeman) are the backbone of the local party and are the only ones that get to vote for delegates. Delegates in AZ are simply PCs that got voted in by other PCs. In AZ, PC is actually an elected position and you must "run" for reelection every couple years, or if unopposed, get a certain number of signatures. (PCs are almost always unopposed).

PCs make up the bulk of the party and determine the local and state platforms.

nullvalu
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Actually here in AZ they are. In AZ, PCs (Precinct Committeeman) are the backbone of the local party and are the only ones that get to vote for delegates. Delegates in AZ are simply PCs that got voted in by other PCs. In AZ, PC is actually an elected position and you must "run" for reelection every couple years, or if unopposed, get a certain number of signatures. (PCs are almost always unopposed).

Not to mention, if there is a vacancy in another precinct that is not your own, but your precinct position is filled, after the election you can request the position. From what I'm told almost always the County Chairman will appoint you. They need fresh blood & they know it. Little will they know it will be status quo's demise. ;)

deedles
02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I've had a long discussion with someone who knows that tells me that although getting into the local GOP is fine, the elected officials... once they get into office don't care a whit about local GOP organizations. He says the only way to take this back is to get people to run for office. Period. That is the only way to get control back.

Check out the site: Cleansweepwisconsin.org

Every state should have this movement if we want to get control back over our state houses..

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I've had a long discussion with someone who knows that tells me that although getting into the local GOP is fine, the elected officials... once they get into office don't care a whit about local GOP organizations. He says the only way to take this back is to get people to run for office. Period. That is the only way to get control back.

Check out the site: Cleansweepwisconsin.org

Every state should have this movement if we want to get control back over our state houses..

I believe that, but most of us probably can't just throw our name in the hat today. Doesn't getting known in the local GOP lead to running for other offices? It would be hard for me to believe that I could get my name on a ballot, let alone get people to vote for me without getting known in the local party. If thats not the start, how do you get known?

UnitedWeStand
02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
This thread is sticky.!

LandonCook
02-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Oh no, I thought She meant Precinct captain...

Bithmus
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
In Illinois I just walked in the door a week after I moved into Wheeling township and they handed me a precinct captain position. At least here if the spot is open I believe the head of the township can appoint the position. There was never a lacking of open positions. It's a great way to get involved and can make a difference. The captains voted on who to endorse, and the voters in the township followed suit in the primary.(Not this primary.)

billjarrett
02-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Bump

rob-NC
02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
WELL!! I just got off the phone with a contact I made 10 years ....yes TEN YEARS ago in with my local GOP. Get this, he even remembered my name, my boys etc..etc. said he was sure glad that they had at least 1 "young" person showing interest in getting involved with the GOP. I asked him some questions about Precinct Chair....and he said for me to definately plan on showing up to the county convention (which I already planned to do) and have my name put on the list for that position. If there are no other candidates, then its all mine! if not, I will have to caucus for it that evening. So I am definately showing up to all the meetings this month and of course our convention next month.

billjarrett
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Ok,
Got my response from the GOP:

Bob (lol, he didn't get my name right)
Thanks for your interest. I welcome you to the effort. Were would you like to get involved. We have great candidates that are always looking for help as well as the local and County orginizations. Let me know your interest or where you live and I can try to get you in the right direction. Otherwise get me you number and I can call and discuss it further with you.

Thanks

Any ideas of where I go from here? I'm not sure what he means about great candidates looking for help... Door to door for a neo-con or something? I guess I don't even know enough about it yet to "know my interests".

RPinSEAZ
02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Ok,

Thanks for your interest. I welcome you to the effort. Were would you like to get involved. We have great candidates that are always looking for help as well as the local and County orginizations. Let me know your interest or where you live and I can try to get you in the right direction. Otherwise get me you number and I can call and discuss it further with you.

Thanks

Any ideas of where I go from here? I'm not sure what he means about great candidates looking for help... Door to door for a neo-con or something? I guess I don't even know enough about it yet to "know my interests".

That's what they're looking for. They're looking for Republican grassroots supporters to work for their candidates.

Just ask your chairman when the meetings are and attend them. You don't know your interests until you find out what they're doing. Don't feel any pressure to support a neocon.

Personally, I'm trying to make myself cozy with the local party leadership, so I can eventually either run for the party leadership myself or run for office. Most of the people in the party "leadership" in my county really are there because nobody else cares to do it or they've been elected locally before.

nullvalu
02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Ok,

Thanks

Yes, he'll want you to go door to door, that's part of a precinct committeeman. However, you don't have to do it for neocons or any other candidate you don't feel comfortable with. Get to know the candidates & help out the one YOU want to. Also, don't outright tell him you're a Paul supporter unless it comes up, just make it clear you're a firm believer in the constitution, limited gov't and less taxes. Tell him that if a candidate can pledge to those things you'll be willing to help.

Mark
02-06-2008, 09:53 AM
(There wasn't a dress code at my precinct meeting - but use common sense - I wore a tie and suit coat - but I still wore my Chucks [tennis shoes])

----------------

We had Wake county precinct delegate meetings last night. (The capital of North Carolina, Raleigh, is in Wake County)

I became a precinct delegate with no need for a vote.

There was only 1 other person in my precinct and he wasn't really interested in being a delegate.

There were about 18-19 people there, Ron Paul won the straw poll by 2 votes.

It's CRITICAL for everyone to go to these delegate meetings! Delegate positions went UNFILLED in my precinct and others.

There appears to be little interest in details such as being active at the organizing level in the Republican party.

EVERYONE needs to get involved locally and we can TAKE OVER the Republican Party!

The District Chairman mentioned to me that he has been trying TO NO AVAIL to get people involved.

He said that he became involved last year and noticed an opportunity to make an influence
because VERY FEW people are interested in being involved,

he then mentioned that no one has listened to him,

and that HIS EFFORTS TO FILL INFLUENCE POSITIONS HAVE NOW BEEN NEGATED BECAUSE RON PAUL PEOPLE HAVE SHOWN UP

AND TAKEN THE OPEN POSITIONS NOW!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IN MOST INSTANCES IS **** SHOW UP **** AND YOU ARE IN!!!

IT'S NOT WHO VOTES - IT'S WHO IS THE DELEGATE!!

GET INVOLVED AT THE LOCAL PARTY LEVEL!!! INFLUENCE BEGINS THERE!! THE REVOLUTION BEGINS THERE!!!

WRellim
02-06-2008, 10:29 AM

YES, YES, YES.

I joined my local GOP last fall (southeastern Wisconsin), and was SHOCKED... SHOCKED, I tell you to NOT find any of the people I thought would be there.

The CEO of the local Bank.... Nope (not only is he NOT a member, I have since found out that he doesn't even vote).

The owners of the local Road Construction company (Big Government Contracts... Donations to local and State GOP? Yes. Attend meetings? No.)

The people who WERE in attendance... pretty much normal everyday folks.

What do they DO? Well they meet once a month, have pizza and a few beers or mixed drinks or soda. Chit-chat about everyday life (and sometimes politics -- mostly local and state stuff, a lot of them are/were pretty clueless about national issues.) Sometimes (OK, every chance they get) the local elected GOP office holders (no matter the grade) give a short speech or talk about what is going on with them since the last meeting, etc.

So my county group is pretty much an informal affair 90% of the time, and chances are yours is too.

Yes, most of the people who are "members" do NOT show up at the meetings. Some are completely inactive, and others are only occasionally interested.

Think of it like most other organizations -- churches and other groups -- there is probably 10% of the group that are "regulars" and willing to actually participate; and a smaller number within that who "run things" (but often only because no one else wants to.)

TWO stories:

One of the other meetup organizers here in Wisconsin finally was able to "locate" his very rural GOP county party and attend a meeting and join. This is what he found: The local county GOP only has 44 members. Only 10 of those members were in attendance (and he was told this was typical) at the January meeting -- which was important, because it is the meeting where they elect officers. He had already "joined" via phone/email prior to the meeting so they said he was eligible to be an officer, if he wanted (and would he PLEASE DO SO... PLEASE!) Seriously, he was offered the job of County Chairman if he wanted it -- but he demurred as he was not yet sure of the duties, and so instead he became Treasurer (and this still part of the "board").

The other is about our local Congressional District Party Chairman, who is a young man in his late-twenties. How did he get to be District Chairman? Well, when he was just 19 (NINETEEN!) he volunteered to "help" as an "assistant" and became vice-chairman of the local COUNTY party -- mainly because there was no one else willing. Within the following year, the local county party chairman retired and moved away -- by default he was promoted to County Chairman (and he THEN understood what had happened... he had been "trapped & trained" on purpose). When something similar happened two years later with the District Chairman, he was "promoted" to that spot -- again mainly because the OTHER county chairmen did not want to do the job (they were older, had already done that years ago, and did not want to again, etc). So basically by being there and volunteering (fool) with a few short years he is in charge of one of the major Congressional District party positions. If he persists, within a few years he may end up as state party chairman (a post which has already changed hands several times in the last few years). He WAS a pretty solid Bush supporter (young, foolish) but that is finally beginning to waver with the economy, now he is kind of uncertain what way to turn... and I have been reinforcing REPUBLIC-an principles to him in a quiet way.

So there you have it. Two stories of people who joined their local party and in very short order became an integral part of the "machine."

Now there are some (mostly elected officials) who will disparage the local party officeholder people as mere "nobodys" -- but some of that is "spite" as they CAN and DO have some influence. Granted, each local chairman -- ALONE -- does not have much, but collectively the several chairmen of the counties and districts DO have the ability to "vett" the people who want to run for office, determine in subtle ways the meeting agendas, speakers and topics chosen for meetings & "rallies," etc -- and can significantly influence through that and other methods who gets the "support" of the other local party members.

Keep in mind that the LOCAL parties have very little to do with what happens NATIONALLY -- there focus is the LOCAL and STATE politics. So it is there that you will find most people concerned with local zoning ordinances, etc -- the things that either impose and opress us, or conversely "liberate" us in our day-to-day lives, with our personal homes and properties, etc.

Also, the local party is the "training ground" where you learn "the ropes" of campaigning, the ways that people are "picked" or "helped" to get into state offices, etc.

The more active we become (as a group of like-liberty-minded people) within our local parties, the stronger our influence.

WHY this is so important, I have already written about HERE in a piece called THINKING LONG TERM (http://www.manofcommonsense.com/?page=Weblog) and which I also posted on RPF and DP and sent to the meetups in our state (Wisconsin has it's own demons in a Democratic Governor and a Democratic State Senate -- and if the GOP does not rally, possibly a Democratic State Assembly as well this next fall... shudder So the NATIONAL problems are only a PART of what we -- and many in other states -- have to be worried about).

The journey from the Magna Charta to the Declaration of Independance was NOT short.... and many more years passed before the Constitution and Bill of Rights. But vigilance to protect those freedoms waxed and waned, and likewise, our descent into the present corporatist-fascist-socialistic morass did NOT happen overnight, but rather step-by-step, it was imposed on us as part of a plan by a group of dedicated individuals. If we are determined to retrieve our liberty, we must be willing to stay dedicated and ready to seize every opportunity to roll back and kill off the current system. It will NOT be achieved in a day, or a year, or probably even a decade. But it MAY happen in our lifetimes, and WE may be an even GREATER GENERATION!

WRellim
02-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Ok,

Thanks

Door-to-door... yes. But first of all -- you CHOOSE whether you will actually do that for any particular candidate and/or office -- NO ONE can "force" you to do it for any particular candidate.

And, MOSTLY what they are talking about is NOT the Presidential campaign -- most of what is done locally is to help pick the local School Board members, the local County Supervisors -- and the State and Federal Congressmen and Senators.

AND THAT is one place we CAN make our influence help.

If we REFUSE (arms crossed) to help re-elect a Congressman or Senator who hold positions WE BELIEVE to be unconstitutional and anti-REPUBLIC-an -- then we VISUALLY demonstrate the LACK of support on those issues.

A congressman who has only HALF (or less) of his local party members working for him (and perhaps the other half or two-thirds working for his opponent in the GOP primary) -- is at least likely to rethink his positions.

And/or it is in THIS WAY that you are most likely to REPLACE him with someone more liberty-minded.

This is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than writing constituent letters and phone calls.

If you REFUSE to donate to him or help his campaign (and make it loud and clear the issues and reasons) and then throw your money and help to his opponent... I guarantee you he will start to wonder if the winds are not changing.

Granted the most corrupt ones will not "tremble" as they feel their "war-chests" from the lobbyists can keep them in office. In this they are often mistaken -- many a well-funded candidate (yes, even incumbents) has gone the way of the DODO when opposed by a LOCALLY well-supported challenger.

One by one, we can pick the neo-cons (and the even more prevalent neo-con "leaners") off and while all of the new people may NOT stay 100% solid Liberty people -- slowly we CAN change things.

WRellim
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
(There wasn't a dress code at my precinct meeting - but use common sense - I wore a tie and suit coat - but I still wore my Chucks [tennis shoes])

----------------

We had Wake county precinct delegate meetings last night. (The capital of North Carolina, Raleigh, is in Wake County)

I became a precinct delegate with no need for a vote.

There was only 1 other person in my precinct and he wasn't really interested in being a delegate.

There were about 18-19 people there, Ron Paul won the straw poll by 2 votes.

It's CRITICAL for everyone to go to these delegate meetings! Delegate positions went UNFILLED in my precinct and others.

There appears to be little interest in details such as being active at the organizing level in the Republican party.

EVERYONE needs to get involved locally and we can TAKE OVER the Republican Party!

The District Chairman mentioned to me that he has been trying TO NO AVAIL to get people involved.

He said that he became involved last year and noticed an opportunity to make an influence because VERY FEW people are interested in being involved,

he then mentioned that no one has listened to him,

and that HIS EFFORTS TO FILL INFLUENCE POSITIONS HAVE NOW BEEN NEGATED BECAUSE RON PAUL PEOPLE HAVE SHOWN UP

AND TAKEN THE OPEN POSITIONS NOW!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IN MOST INSTANCES IS **** SHOW UP **** AND YOU ARE IN!!!

IT'S NOT WHO VOTES - IT'S WHO IS THE DELEGATE!!

GET INVOLVED AT THE LOCAL PARTY LEVEL!!! INFLUENCE BEGINS THERE!! THE REVOLUTION BEGINS THERE!!!

QFT. Emphasized for importance.

hopeforamerica
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Stay involved locally, this is how we make change!! We need a bunch of mini Ron Paul's running for office;)

ckhagen
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Like many others have stated... you guys don't realize how easy this is.

They're STARVING for members. Four of us showed up at a meeting a few months ago (3 under age 25), dressed nicely, and willing to play by the rules. They looked like hungry dogs salivating over raw meat. Seriously, it was like they hadn't seen new faces in years. All 4 of us were immediately installed as Precinct Committeemen. They even violated their own "you must attend 3 meetings" rule because well... they were having trouble even getting a quorum at these meetings!

They've even asked us to attend state meetings in the near future (especially the under 25's). Fact is... we ARE their future. They have no future beyond us. So let's claim it... it's there for the taking.

You do need to play by the general rules though... dress as if you were going to a business meeting (unless you know that the meeting is very casual), learn to speak Republican, be professional.

Our GOP has seen me for basically the jackpot I am... they know I can bring in 30-40 people any given moment through my grassroots connections. So, they're willing to listen and act on what I say. I'm bringing in a few new committed people each meeting. Slowly revealing the strength we have in numbers. They're still salivating.

Mark
02-06-2008, 12:01 PM
bump for common sense to get involved and effect change!

Heather in WI
02-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Our local Ron Paul Meetup group has been extremely successful in joining and becoming active in our local GOP. It sounds like your local GOP is as dysfunctional as ours is! We (the Ron Paul folks) currently hold 3/4 voting majority in 3 of our local branches!

Heather in WI
02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Like many others have stated... you guys don't realize how easy this is.

They're STARVING for members. Four of us showed up at a meeting a few months ago (3 under age 25), dressed nicely, and willing to play by the rules. They looked like hungry dogs salivating over raw meat. Seriously, it was like they hadn't seen new faces in years. All 4 of us were immediately installed as Precinct Committeemen. They even violated their own "you must attend 3 meetings" rule because well... they were having trouble even getting a quorum at these meetings!

They've even asked us to attend state meetings in the near future (especially the under 25's). Fact is... we ARE their future. They have no future beyond us. So let's claim it... it's there for the taking.

You do need to play by the general rules though... dress as if you were going to a business meeting (unless you know that the meeting is very casual), learn to speak Republican, be professional.

Our GOP has seen me for basically the jackpot I am... they know I can bring in 30-40 people any given moment through my grassroots connections. So, they're willing to listen and act on what I say. I'm bringing in a few new committed people each meeting. Slowly revealing the strength we have in numbers. They're still salivating.

This sounds just like our group! The currently active local GOP membership is upper end of baby boomers and older. They have been extremely welcoming to us. A couple of them (two middle age power hungry men) are passively hostile, but we ignore them!

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I am on two committees in our county GOP and have attended 3 meetings of the State Republican Assembly. They are all pro war and don't think Ron Paul can win (well--not all: we have 10-15% support for Ron Paul--but half of those are new members and would never have went GOP except for Paul). Worthless. Go iDNY.

ckhagen
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
This sounds just like our group! The currently active local GOP membership is upper end of baby boomers and older. They have been extremely welcoming to us. A couple of them (two middle age power hungry men) are passively hostile, but we ignore them!

Oh yeah, we've got one old guy that's a total PITA. I just laugh off his constant picking and obnoxiousness. He probably has a sad life to be that miserable. Poor wittle meanie man :p

GoDrNo
02-06-2008, 12:19 PM

I was just browsing the Oakland County GOP website this morning to find out the workings of all this, also contacted HQ to see what they say about the process.

billjarrett
02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Bump. This has been a good thread so far, hate to see it on page 3 already.

WRellim
02-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Bump. This has been a good thread so far, hate to see it on page 3 already.

Blimpity Bump... because I agree wholeheartedly!

billjarrett
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Blimpity Bump... because I agree wholeheartedly!

Bump for Thursday, see if we can get more interest with 900+ people around.

JimInNY
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I need people with inside GOP experience to help get this site going:

http://newr3volution.com/

billjarrett
02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I'll let you know when I have more than is in this thread. We're planning to start getting the lay of the land around here in IL.

billjarrett
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Bump

JimInNY
02-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Apparently, my county GOP chairmen quit without telling the State party. It's a big clusterfuck here. I'm telling you, the GOP party is rotten from the head all the way down. Takeover time!!!

Let's do it! http://newr3volution.com/

billjarrett
02-08-2008, 10:21 PM
All info on my state is empty, not sure what you want me to do at your site there.

GoDrNo
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Still haven't heard from my county GOP (guess it's time to just show up at the next meeting). I'm gonna go register to be on the ballot as a precinct captian, and double my vol. time at my daughter's school to get my name out there. I plan on running for my state Congress in the next election cycle and see where it goes from there.

billjarrett
02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Still haven't heard from my county GOP, I'm gonna go register to be on the ballot as a precinct captian, and double my vol. time at my daughter's school to get my name out there. I plan on running for my state Congress in the next election cycle and see where it goes from there.

I'd run for state congress too, but want to see what's going on there.. My state congressman situation is a pretty entrenched Sr to Jr situation.

GoDrNo
02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah we have term limits here in MI, in the 2010 election there should be somewhere between 70-80 open state congressional seats and 30 + state senate seats because of term limits.

freedominnumbers
02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Bump

I just invited the 6 other precinct captains in my town to come to our next Republican Town Committee Meeting on the 11th. These things a re a simple take over. If they all join up we'd probably have a 1/3rd to 1/2 vote of Ron Paul people.

billjarrett
02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Dunno if it will be that easy where I live, going to check out it later this month.

Might be more organized here than other places.. We have the local GOP, and a "Republican Federation" outside of that which "provides the primary financial, staff, and office support for the county Republican party" and "provides an ongoing and visible presence for Republican activities in Lake County by underwriting a permanent storefront office in Libertyville with an experienced and dedicated Executive Director and volunteers."

krott5333
02-08-2008, 11:24 PM

you're not kidding.

Something I've found among the hard-core Repubs who attend every local GOP meeting.. they dont care about policy, they simply want to beat the democrats. Its pretty sad, but its the truth. Show them how you can beat the democrats with a return to TRUE CONSERVATISM and they will eat that shit up.

billjarrett
02-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Bump. A few of us think this is important at least. Something to do for those of us who are done voting.