PDA

View Full Version : Feds Move to Ban Pythons & Boas

AisA1787
02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
This is a very serious post for boa and python breeders and owners, and also for anyone who loves the freedom to keep pets of their choice. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is making a move to ban boa constrictors and pythons in the United States. These species of snakes are harmless, but due to public perception that they are dangerous and the misinformed belief that they are somehow harmful to the ecosystem, they may be banned. The only exception would be for scientific, medical, educational, or zoological purposes, for which one would need to obtain a permit from the government. This would essentially mean an end to an entire industry -- boa and python breeders, feed supply companies, cage companies, and all their suppliers would either go out of business or face serious financial problems. Not only that, but this is a blatant intrusion of federal government into the lives of responsible pet owners.

If you want to voice your concerns to the USFWS, please read their proposal first. It gives instructions on how to submit comments. The deadline for submitting comments is April 30th:

http://kingsnake.com/FWSReview.pdf

"Please take time to review the proposal in full, and only submit comments relevant to the specific requests. General comments and abusive comments are liable to be discarded, unread. Please spell check your comments before submitting them."

Here are is the information they want:

We are soliciting public comments and supporting data to gain
additional information and specifically seek comment on the following
questions:
(1) What regulations does your State have pertaining to the use,
transport, or production of Python, Boa and Eunectes genera?
(2) How many species in the Python, Boa and Eunectes genera are
currently in production for wholesale or retail sale, and in how many
and which States?
(3) How many businesses sell Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(4) How many businesses breed Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(5) What are the annual sales for Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(6) Please provide the number of Python, Boa or Eunectes species,
if any, permitted within each State.
(7) What would it cost to eradicate Python, Boa or Eunectes
individuals or populations, or similar species, if found?
(8) What are the costs of implementing propagation, recovery, and
restoration programs for native species that are affected by Python,
Boa or Eunectes species, or similar snake species?
(9) What State-listed species would be impacted by the introduction
of Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(10) What species have been impacted, and how, by Python, Boa or
Eunectes species?

Note that they do not accept e-mail responses. You must mail your comments to their address listed in the proposal. Read the section titled "Public Comments" so you know their rules for submitting comments.

For people not familiar with boa constrictors and ball pythons, they are non-venomous snakes that pose almost zero danger to humans. The only time you hear about a boa constrictor or ball python seriously injuring or killing someone is when it isn't actually a boa constrictor or ball python. This is because they are routinely confused in the news media with Burmese pythons, reticulated pythons, and anacondas. I have often seen pictures in news reports of anacondas labeled "boa constrictor" for example. This leads people to believe that boa constrictors can reach lengths of 15 to 20 feet, which simply isn't true. A normally-fed adult male will be 4 to 5 feet in length. Females are a little larger, at 5 to 6 1/2 feet in length. I own several boas so believe me, I know this from experience. If a female boa is extremely overfed, it may reach 9 feet, but then it will probably die at a very young age anyway from the negative health effects of over feeding. The bottom line is that this is another one of those "for your own good" laws that has no business being on the books in the land of the free and the home of the brave. My brother and I own and breed several boa constrictors, and they are very popular with all of our friends and family who come over. My 80 year-old grandmother, who has trouble walking and can barely stand up straight, posed for a picture with our largest female boa constrictor draped around her neck. So you can imagine how dangerous they are :rolleyes:.

Here is a story that describes the ban:

Feds Move To Ban Pythons & Boas
PetHobbyist.com Site Blog

http://www.pethobbyist.com/sitenews/index.php?/archives/202-Feds-Move-To-Ban-Pythons-Boas.html

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has made a significant move towards banning the importation and interstate transport of Boa Constrictors and Pythons in the United States. Quietly published in the Federal Register, the agency is accepting public comments until April 30th. If enacted this will devastate an already hard hit industry, dealing a fatal death blow to a large number of businesses dependent on this segment of the industry and drying up the supply of these pets to pet owners across the United States. Noted herpetologist, author, former zookeeper, and one of the leading private researchers and breeders of pythons in the United States, David Barker, had this to say...

This is the formal notification and request for public comments regarding the intention of USF&W Service to place ALL snakes in the genera Boa, Python, and Eunectes on the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act.

If enacted as regulation, this will ban the importation of said snakes into the USA , and ban all interstate transportation of said snakes.

There is a request made for public input and we feel it will be very important that all keepers with an interest in boas and pythons make written response before 30 April.

This is VERY important. Don’t take this lightly.

Once the importation and inter-state transport has been banned, there will be a rapid exodus of breeders of these species, and eventually they will disappear from the marketplace along with a significant number of businesses and jobs. Pet owners will feel the pinch as dry goods suppliers and caging manufacturers stop producing products for that segment of the hobby, and eventually it will be impossible to obtain a new pet boa or python.

To review the USF & W Service proposal, please look at the following document. http://kingsnake.com/FWSReview.pdf

Please note that this is a .pdf file and requires Adobe Acrobat to open and read it.

UPDATE:

On Friday, February 29, at 10 PM Eastern, in kingsnake.com's Chat Room, kingsnake.com will host a special chat on the proposed federal regulations detailed above. Invitations to participate as panelists have been submitted to the following individuals and organizations. As panelists are confirmed we will update this message and the guest list for Chat Week. More panelists may be added as required, and panelists that are unavailable will be removed from the list.

Invited Panelists:

* PIJAC
* Reptiles Magazine
* David/Tracy Barker - Vida Preciosa Intl.
* Kamuran Tepedelen - Bushmaster Reptiles
* Kevin McCurley - N.E.R.D. ~ confirmed
* Jeff Ronne - The Boaphile ~ confirmed
* Rich Ihle - Salmonboa.com ~ confirmed
* Ralph Davis - Ralph Davis Reptiles ~ confirmed
* Jeff Barringer - kingsnake.com ~ confirmed
* USF&W Service
* Brian Sharp - Brian Sharp Reptiles
* Bill Brandt - Gourmet Rodent ~ confirmed
* Wayne Hill - National Reptile Breeders Expo ~ confirmed
* Eugene Bessette - Ophiological Services
* Bob Clark - Bob Clark Reptiles ~ confirmed
* Brian Potter - NARBC/Chicago Reptile House ~ confirmed

As the Federal Register outlines, only comments submitted in the format that they have specified will be reviewed. Comments on message boards, blogs, and petitions will not be accepted or reviewed. We recommend that everyone focus their efforts on submitting comments using the required procedure rather than methods that will not produce tangible results. Individuals and businesses may submit their comments at http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=09000064803a565f.

Please take time to review the proposal in full, and only submit comments relevant to the specific requests. General comments and abusive comments are liable to be discarded, unread. Please spell check your comments before submitting them.

AisA1787
02-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Doug Ward at geckoforums.com has some good advice for how to respond to this potential ban:

I work in the federal government world in DC and do a fair amount of policy / technical writing. So this was up my alley.

There are two important things here 1) leave a comment on regulations. gov AND contact your senators and local congressional reps.

The congressional and senate contact is extremely important, especially for those that are breeders.

By raising a stink that this rule making with shut down small businesses in these economic times will really get their attention. It only takes one senator to call FWS and tell them to retract. Honestly one very good well thought out contact to a Senator will get things done. As soon as senators hear about Federal actions costing jobs they react.

Another thing. If you use my comment please change it enough that it is obviously not the same one. The people that review these will discard any that are too similar that can be miscontrued as "form letters"

Only unique individual comments are considered. In this electronic age it is too easy to stuff the comment box with form letters that are meaningless.

This was my Comment:

Mr. Assitant Secretary,

This is a comment in OPPOSITION of the proposed listing of pythons and boas on the injurious species list.

These animals represent a very large portion of the reptile pet industry. There are countless numbers of private breeders that this is their sole business.

By adding Pythons & Boas to the injurious species list FWS will be effectively closing countless small businesses. At these time of economic strain we do not think this will be view favorably by any one.

To address some of the specific questions listed in Federal Register notice:

It would be very difficult to assess the total number of animals avaialbale for sale wholesale or retail due to the heart of this industry is not huge companies, it is driven by small business people that have breeding operations of small numbers of animals each year.

As to the eradication of these species it would be next to impossible since there are so many thousands of animals owned by responsible citizens and responsible caring breeders that it would take many thousands of FTEs of an agency that is already by their own admittance spread to thin to regulate the already burdensome policies.

We will be urging everyone in the reptile keeper community to contact their Senate and House of Representatives to speak out against this and to make it very clear to them that this proposed rule making will be damagin not only to our hobby and personal interests, but will be a huge blow to small business owners that breed these animals and those that manufacture supplies to support them and the hobbyist such as caging, feeding, veterinarians, and show organizer.

Mr. Laverty, I sincerely hope that you will reconsider this proposed listing of Pythons & Boas to the Injurious species list.

The few instances of these animals being found in the wild of the Everglades is but a tiny tiny fraction that are completely non-representative of the community or keeper and breeders of these fantastic creatures.

Sincerely,

D. Ward

asgardshill
02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
They'll take my kid's 3-foot ball python from his cold, dead hands.

Book it.

Heavy Fed
02-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I say...good riddance.

rodent
02-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I say...good riddance.

Yeah, I'm a rat owner. Never been too crazy about snakes.

asgardshill
02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow. I just hope your pet is government-approved. :confused:

AisA1787
02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, I love rats, too! My boas couldn't survive with out 'em :D You gotta respect the circle of life.

Seriously though fellas, if you allow the government to outlaw one species of pet for irrational and unfounded reasons, and you ignore it because that species of pet eats members of your species of pet, then they'll be trying to outlaw your species of pet next. I guarantee it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it will happen.

After all, rats can spread disease, even deadly disease, to humans. It's a public safety hazard. The government should really do something about it:

RAT RELATED HEALTH HAZARDS & DISEASES
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/ratdiseases.htm

Here is information on common diseases caused by rats, as gathered from the Center For Disease Control & Prevention http://www.cdc.gov

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS): Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.

Murine Typhus: Murine typhus (caused by infection with R. typhi) occurs worldwide and is transmitted to humans by rat fleas. Flea-infested rats can be found throughout the year in humid tropical environments, but in temperate regions are most common during the warm summer months. Travelers who visit in rat-infested buildings and homes, especially in harbor or riverine environments, can be at risk for exposure to the agent of murine typhus.

Rat-bite fever (RBF): Rat-bite fever (RBF) is a systemic bacterial illness caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis that can be acquired through the bite or scratch of a rodent or the ingestion of food or water contaminated with rat feces.

Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium: As its name suggests, it causes a typhoid-like disease in mice. In humans S. Typhimurium does not cause as severe disease as S. Typhi, and is not normally fatal. The disease is characterized by diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting and nausea, and generally lasts up to 7 days. Unfortunately, in immunocompromized people, that is the elderly, young, or people with depressed immune systems, Salmonella infections are often fatal if they are not treated with antibiotics.

Leptospirosis: Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. In humans it causes a wide range of symptoms, and some infected persons may have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of leptospirosis include high fever, severe headache, chills, muscle aches, and vomiting, and may include jaundice (yellow skin and eyes), red eyes, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or a rash. If the disease is not treated, the patient could develop kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, and respiratory distress. In rare cases death occurs.

Eosinophilic Meningitis: Eosinophilic meningitis is an infection of the brain occurring in association with an increase in the number of eosinophils, white blood cells that are associated with infection with worms that penetrate into the body. The organism most commonly causing eosinophilic meningitis is a rat lung worm called angiostrongylus cantonensis.

AisA1787
02-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow. I just hope your pet is government-approved. :confused:

Seriously!

I added this list of information the USF&W Service wants to my original post:

(1) What regulations does your State have pertaining to the use,
transport, or production of Python, Boa and Eunectes genera?
(2) How many species in the Python, Boa and Eunectes genera are
currently in production for wholesale or retail sale, and in how many
and which States?
(3) How many businesses sell Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(4) How many businesses breed Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(5) What are the annual sales for Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(6) Please provide the number of Python, Boa or Eunectes species,
if any, permitted within each State.
(7) What would it cost to eradicate Python, Boa or Eunectes
individuals or populations, or similar species, if found?
(8) What are the costs of implementing propagation, recovery, and
restoration programs for native species that are affected by Python,
Boa or Eunectes species, or similar snake species?
(9) What State-listed species would be impacted by the introduction
of Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
(10) What species have been impacted, and how, by Python, Boa or
Eunectes species?

devil21
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Ugh...its getting worse. My pet burmese python was seized by animal control last year due to an arbitrary weight limit imposed on non-venomous reptiles. What most people don't realize is that these laws are pushed not by the feds themselves, but by animal rights groups such as PETA, Humane Society of the United States, Animal Protection Institute, etc. THEY ARE LOBBYISTS PUSHING AN AGENDA! Just one more reason to elect Ron Paul! They will go after your dogs and cats next!!!

Btw, having been in the reptile community for 12 years, up until my snake was seized, I can surely say that this will be one hell of a fight for the Feds.

AisA1787
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Ugh...its getting worse. My pet burmese python was seized by animal control last year due to an arbitrary weight limit imposed on non-venomous reptiles. What most people don't realize is that these laws are pushed not by the feds themselves, but by animal rights groups such as PETA, Humane Society of the United States, Animal Protection Institute, etc. THEY ARE LOBBYISTS PUSHING AN AGENDA! Just one more reason to elect Ron Paul! They will go after your dogs and cats next!!!

Btw, having been in the reptile community for 12 years, up until my snake was seized, I can surely say that this will be one hell of a fight for the Feds.

I'm sorry to hear about your burm :( You're right, these are special interest groups pushing their own agenda. Lots of cities already have bans on snakes "that have the potential to reach 6 feet in length" or like you said some arbitrary weight limit. And yes the Feds are definitely going to be surprised at the thousands and thousands of responses they're going to get to this. Personally, I don't think it will pass, but it might be one of those "bait and switch" routines where they scare the hell out of us, and then "only" outlaw two or three of the larger species.

It amazes me that people have absolutely no problem with horses, event though they are the single most deadly domesticated animals in our country, and yet harmless non-venomous snakes are outlawed just because people somehow think they're dangerous :rolleyes: