PDA

View Full Version : 70-year-old great grandmother arrested for not maintaining her lawn.

Agent CSL
02-05-2008, 08:08 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/bizarre&id=5933786

The city of Orem says residents have to keep up their property or face a class B misdemeanor.

An officer tried to give Betty Perry a ticket but she refused to give him her name. The officer then tried to put her in handcuffs.

Perry says she fell while the officer handcuffed her, cutting her nose, and that her wrists were also cut from what she calls the officer's use of force.
Story continues below

The police department cleared the officer of any wrongdoing, but Perry has since hired Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred.

:eek:

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-05-2008, 08:41 AM
yay police state kill the old like Hitler did

Bossobass
02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
"To protect and serve".

Bosso

constituent
02-05-2008, 09:04 AM
"To protect (ourselves) and serve (our interests)".

as amended

Ira Aten
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Link Please?

We need to see video of an old woman being handcuffed by a cop.

I know a 92 year old cadaver, is a big threat to a guy who has two or three pistols on him (service weapon and two hideaways) a billy club, a can of pepper spray, a two bladed dagger strapped to a legster holster, and a wallet pistol hideaway rig, aong with a 50,000 volt taser gun.

Yeah, he probably didn't want her to "struggle over his weapon(s) so he had to cuff the bitch.

I know 92 year old ladies are pretty tough to handle. They attack armed people fairly often by trying to run them down on their "Rascals".

ConstitutionGal
02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
If this officer and/or the idtiot who sent him had even an ounce of kindness in them, they would have gone to the old woman's house on their day off and mowed the darned lawn for her free of charge. Of course, then this cop wouldn't have gotten to play Johnny-bad-a$$ and gotten to play with his nifty handcuffs! This is just another reason why 'zoning laws' should be abolished. They give small minded people in positions of authorit more excuses to mess around with other people's lives and property.

amy31416
02-05-2008, 10:49 AM
If this officer and/or the idtiot who sent him had even an ounce of kindness in them, they would have gone to the old woman's house on their day off and mowed the darned lawn for her free of charge. Of course, then this cop wouldn't have gotten to play Johnny-bad-a$$ and gotten to play with his nifty handcuffs! This is just another reason why 'zoning laws' should be abolished. They give small minded people in positions of authorit more excuses to mess around with other people's lives and property.

Agreed 100%, in the neighborhood where I was raised, my brother always helped out an older couple by snowblowing their walk, mowing their lawn and he never asked for a damned dime.

He got lots of cookies out of it though.

What a bunch of creeps, both her neighbors and the cop involved.

Unspun
02-05-2008, 11:02 AM
There's reasons for these ordinances. It lowers the value of the surrounding houses, and more than likely she signed a "community homeowners contract" of some sort before moving buying the house. Who knows, we don't even know the details, but I wouldn't want the value of my house devalued because some old lady moved into town and can't keep up her lawn, it's equivelant to stealing. If you don't want to keep up on your lawn then hire someone or move somewhere where it doesn't require you to do as such and isn't affecting others around you.

Obviously Im gonna disagree with the way the arrest went down, but again, we're only given so many details.