PDA

View Full Version : Emergency: Iowa GOP Extorting Ron Paul Campaign

Birdlady
08-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I didn't see this on here! VERY IMPORTANT

http://www.nationalexpositor.com/index.php?news=231

Director of communications for the Ron Paul Campaign, Jesse Benton, stated today that the Iowa GOP would charge the Paul camp $184,000 if they wanted to verify a paper count of the coming Iowa straw poll. Today, on the Dale Williams radio show, Mr. Benton said there will be a manual electronic count of the Iowa poll results. What Mr. Benton did not explain, as exposed in a previous National Expositor Article, “it is commonly known that this manual count” with Diebold machines “would only consist of spot checks of the voting machines for device calibration purposes. This does not constitute a verifiable check of the accuracy from either an engineering or statistical perspective.”

-

Click here to Listen to the --- Interview (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6043603408777153798)

-

In what amounts to extortion, the Iowa GOP is telling the Ron Paul campaign they must pay an excessive amount of money to manually verify the results in this weeks’ poll. Both Florida and California have recently decertified the same electronic Diebold voting machines that will be used in Iowa. The validity of the upcoming Iowa straw poll should not rest on one campaign but is the responsibility of the Iowa GOP.

You must let the Iowa GOP know that you disapprove of the use of decertified Diebold electronic voting machines and nothing short of a verifiable manual paper ballot would be acceptable for the Iowa straw poll this week.

This is a call to action, anyone who wants a verifiable election must call the Iowa GOP and demand a back up paper count.

Iowa Republican Party - (515) 282-8105

Bergie Bergeron
08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Bastards !

LibertyEagle
08-07-2007, 10:29 PM

findmemonkey
08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
we need DEFCON squad to track these bastards and expose them. We need to digg this story.

McDermit
08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
wow

Birdlady
08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I am mad as hell right now!

McDermit
08-07-2007, 10:34 PM
digg it (http://digg.com/politics/Iowa_GOP_Extorting_Ron_Paul_Campaign)

Ninja Homer
08-07-2007, 11:20 PM
If there are 40,000 votes (the last Iowa straw poll was much less) that would be $4.60 to count each vote. Yeah, I'd say that's some pretty heavy duty extortion. Hell, for $184,000 somebody could do a whole other straw poll, with manual paper ballots and all.

FSP-Rebel
08-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Too bad the WWE wasn't in town for the weekend, they need to put someone in a head-lock. I want Kane!

Perry
08-08-2007, 12:48 AM
$184,000 no problem. If it turned out that there was a bad count can you imagine what that would do for Ron Paul? You can't buy that kind of publicity. If there are 4000 RP supporters and he only gets 2000 votes we'll know something is amiss.

Not worried even a little...

lost_in_samoa
08-08-2007, 12:53 AM

randolphus maximus
08-08-2007, 12:54 AM
$184,000 no problem. If it turned out that there was a bad count can you imagine what that would do for Ron Paul? You can't buy that kind of publicity. If there are 4000 RP supporters and he only gets 2000 votes we'll know something is amiss.

A good point, look at what happened when the Michigan GOP chair suggested banning RP from the debates, or when the Iowa forum excluded Dr. No from the Iowans for Tax Relief get together...

Sematary
08-08-2007, 12:54 AM

ditto

Birdlady
08-08-2007, 01:11 AM

I can't believe you people are okay with this. Are you not thinking clearly?

Who cares if WE KNOW something is amiss when all of the MSM is announcing Romney as the winner. Who reads the back of the newspaper where it states "Ron Paul's campaign is challenging the count".

Do some research into the OTHER times these Diebold machines have been used to steal elections. Bush did NOT win in 2004. People have gone to jail over the fraud in Ohio!
http://freepress.org/departments/display/19/2007/2503
Do you see this on the news? NO! They keep saying how wonderful these machines are.

It's not about the money, people. It's about the fact that they are basically saying, yeah we are stealing the straw poll. Tough luck.

Electrostatic
08-08-2007, 01:21 AM
I say pay it up-front now and we can make 10000 or so flyers that simply say the following:

A Note on Integrity:

Due to a severe lack of reliability, Florida and California recently decertified Diebold electronic voting machines for political elections. Congressman Ron Paul has graciously volunteered to finance the $184,000 required by the Iowa GOP to cover the costs of paper verification from his own campaign funds.

This will ensure that all candidates, including YOUR candidate, will get a fair and accurate accounting of their current support in the great state of Iowa. Everyone voting today deserves the knowledge that the results of their vote will not be overshadowed by the spector of provenly unreliable computers messing up the counting.

By working together we can ensure that the Ames Straw Poll remains a cornerstone of the American Electoral Process, and we wish everyone participating the best of luck.

Lord Xar
08-08-2007, 01:22 AM
yowzaaaa..

well, I would suggest that the RON PAUL camp contact all the other campaigns, and everybody ANTE up equally... If they are counting by hand to verify, might as well verify everyone else's too!

If they can split it.. ( I am sure romney and ghouliani won't pitch in)... but if you split that among 4 or 5 other candidates, might not be sooo bad.

BUT, what is MORE TROUBLING... is that they should say...

"Sure, we would do a manual recount. Our integrity is on the line.. No problem.."

I mean, this is America. What the phuck! They should do it out of principle.

The implications of this is NOT good......

Lord Xar
08-08-2007, 01:23 AM
I say pay it up-front now and we can make 10000 or so flyers that simply say the following:

A Note on Integrity:

Due to a severe lack of reliability, Florida and California recently decertified Diebold electronic voting machines for political elections. Congressman Ron Paul has graciously volunteered to finance the $184,000 required by the Iowa GOP to cover the costs of the rapid transition to a paper count from his own campaign funds.

This will ensure that all candidates, including YOUR candidate, will get a fair and accurate accounting of their current support in the great state of Iowa. Everyone voting today deserves the knowledge that the results of their vote will not be overshadowed by the spector of provenly unreliable computers messing up the counting.

By working together we can ensure that the Ames Straw Poll remains a cornerstone of the American Electoral Process, and we wish everyone participating the best of luck.

nice!

Electrostatic
08-08-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm serious, that is the way to go... No one can say he's being "defensive" if he puts it out like this... He will simply be spending what is required to save the reputation of the Ames Straw Poll for the benifit of all involved.

(In other words, be the better person people...)

Birdlady
08-08-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm serious, that is the way to go... No one can say he's being "defensive" if he puts it out like this... He will simply be spending what is required to save the reputation of the Ames Straw Poll for the benifit of all involved.

(In other words, be the better person people...)

I don't think you should have to pay to have an accurate poll in America. Verifying the vote should be a normal process in all polls without any added costs. If we are having this much trouble with a straw poll, the primaries are going to be a complete disaster.

Electrostatic
08-08-2007, 01:35 AM
I don't think you should have to pay to have an accurate poll in America. Verifying the vote should be a normal process in all polls without any added costs. If we are having this much trouble with a straw poll, the primaries are going to be a complete disaster.

Of course you shoudn't Have Too... But we are in this to win it (in the real world), not to pick fights... You have to get to the other side, and if you pick up a thousand or so extra votes because of your integrity, all the better,

BuddyRey
08-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Would there be any way for us to conduct a "pledge drive" to raise the fair voting funds? I'll contribute whatever I can if it will mean a greater chance RP's supporters will be counted.

Electrostatic
08-08-2007, 01:36 AM
Oh, and don't forget..... Who is the ONLY candidate to be openly accused of having computer hackers skewing poll results for his campaign?

Electrostatic
08-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Would there be any way for us to conduct a "pledge drive" to raise the fair voting funds? I'll contribute whatever I can if it will mean a greater chance RP's supporters will be counted.

The publicity would pay for itself... Garunteed.

BuddyRey
08-08-2007, 01:45 AM
The publicity would pay for itself... Garunteed.

Then is there any way to PayPal the monies directly to those in charge of polling? I'd say this is an even more important sacrifice than our normal contributions to the RP campaign, because whether or not the straw poll is fair could make or break us, both with troop morale and national press.

The Dane
08-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Oh, and don't forget..... Who is the ONLY candidate to be openly accused of having computer hackers skewing poll results for his campaign?

Sure.

If the campaign paid for this it would be alot of good publicity!

Also it makes me even more suspicious when they charge so much. ($184000)

Hopefully that includes that RP staff (or volunteers) can make sure the paper votes are safe all through the day.

Electrostatic
08-08-2007, 01:54 AM
I am not sure you are getting the entire picture here.. If it comes from RP directly and the reasons are put forth as posted above, the chairman of the Iowa GOP will have no choice but to thank Ron Paul personallly, in front of everyone, at the Straw Poll.

qwerty
08-08-2007, 01:56 AM
I didn't see this on here! VERY IMPORTANT

http://www.nationalexpositor.com/index.php?news=231

Director of communications for the Ron Paul Campaign, Jesse Benton, stated today that the Iowa GOP would charge the Paul camp $184,000 if they wanted to verify a paper count of the coming Iowa straw poll. Today, on the Dale Williams radio show, Mr. Benton said there will be a manual electronic count of the Iowa poll results. What Mr. Benton did not explain, as exposed in a previous National Expositor Article, “it is commonly known that this manual count” with Diebold machines “would only consist of spot checks of the voting machines for device calibration purposes. This does not constitute a verifiable check of the accuracy from either an engineering or statistical perspective.”

-

Click here to Listen to the --- Interview (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6043603408777153798)

-

In what amounts to extortion, the Iowa GOP is telling the Ron Paul campaign they must pay an excessive amount of money to manually verify the results in this weeks’ poll. Both Florida and California have recently decertified the same electronic Diebold voting machines that will be used in Iowa. The validity of the upcoming Iowa straw poll should not rest on one campaign but is the responsibility of the Iowa GOP.

You must let the Iowa GOP know that you disapprove of the use of decertified Diebold electronic voting machines and nothing short of a verifiable manual paper ballot would be acceptable for the Iowa straw poll this week.

This is a call to action, anyone who wants a verifiable election must call the Iowa GOP and demand a back up paper count.

Iowa Republican Party - (515) 282-8105

PLEASE CALL!!!!

:cool:

The Dane
08-08-2007, 02:08 AM
I am not sure you are getting the entire picture here.. If it comes from RP directly and the reasons are put forth as posted above, the chairman of the Iowa GOP will have no choice but to thank Ron Paul personallly, in front of everyone, at the Straw Poll.

I was maybe not clear. When i said sure i ment, "yes, true !!!".

Also a paid recount will show that some people are not willing to let the election in the hand of one single company.

Its typical that when they say "manually recount" they dont mean paper recount, but to ask the voting machines again! ! But this exact Diebold optical scan machine have been proven to be prone to tampering. Even though im sure most - if not all -voting machines has this problem since its the nature of a computer that it does what its told to do!. This one is easily programmed to change the votes inside of it, with no way of showing that the machines have ever been tampered with. Its even so that the vote changing program can be put on just 1 - ONE ! memory card, and it will spread itself like a virus. The more the election workers will check the machines the more this virus will spread. both to machines and memory cards. - Or if the Diebold company is in on this, they can just make a last-minute-important memorycard update (to protect against voting fraud ofcourse) that will determine if the result will be manipulated or not.

If the vote will be recounted, they will not tamper with the results. - Theres only a small chance to catch them with the hand in the cookiebox.

I could not find the video where the optical machine was hacked with an undetectable program. But i saw it myself. Somebody knows about this video, with the programmer from Finland?

Electrostatic
08-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Yes, The oppurtunity has been put out there.. and the price is $184,000

It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that scoff at the price.
It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that nag to the party bosses that the system is unfair.
It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that say they are being cheated.
It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that complain of exclusion.

A "Top Tier" candidate would make it his personal resposibility to defend the honor of the Iowa GOP and ensure that every vote is counted, regardless the price.

A "Top Tier" candidate would not worry about himself, but instead would stand up to make sure every vote cast for Tommy Thompson, Sam Brownback, Mike Huckabee, and Mitt Romney are counted.

Most importantly, a "Top Tier" candidate would ensure that all votes are counted, espescially those cast against him, so that all Iowans, and all Americans, are the true winners this Saturday.

This could be the chance we have been waiting for.

Avalon
08-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Look guys...it doesn't matter if a hand count is performed if they are able to stuff the ballot boxes or do the hand counting without good oversight.

cac1963
08-08-2007, 07:51 AM
So Iowa's GOP is saying trust in the democratic process can be bought for $184,000, or about $4-5 per vote?

I would think some clever soul could use that against the GOP itself as an example of their inability to manage funds wisely, as well as their lack of interest in actually defending the democratic process on principle.

Anyway, not only does it look bad on the GOP from where I sit, it also smacks of opportunism. "Want us to keep you safe, protect you, protect your way of life, it's going cost you reems of cash."

Akus
08-08-2007, 07:52 AM
PLEASE CALL!!!!

:cool:

I did.

I left a message asking to be contacted by e-mail or phone what will specifically be done to ensure that the votes are accounted for.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Would some of the other "lessor" candidates go in on this?

Shink
08-08-2007, 08:03 AM

I think they want to embed this in the minds of Americans, that if you want to win an election, pay up. If not, go to hell. This is disgusting! Do people not care when they find out they're lab rats in a maze?

Original_Intent
08-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Here is my post on an easy way that Diebold counting machines could be verified.

It is not a hand recount but it should be easy.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=11248

Johnnybags
08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
if you intend to vote for Dr Paul please roll a marble down the chute and into the jar. Obviously, its not scientific but if they rip him off badly, we will all know. I actually hope they stifle the vote and get press out of it. You will know by the amount of people and excitement anyway who most support.

Shink
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
How to best respond to this? I'm doubling the effort to make this matter to RP supporters by posting on Facebook in the big Ron Paul group.

Matthew Quinn (UGA) wrote 18 minutes ago
What makes you so sure that Diebold machine = Paul will lose?

Just b/c they CAN be hacked doesn't mean they WILL.

Furthermore, voting machines aren't networked. If you wanted to interfere with one, you'd have to physically come in and tinker with it.
Here's what I have so far...but I'm mostly flabbergasted that people can be so apathetic about this for the sake of 'not believing a "conspiracy" is possible.'

"First of all, after the last two debacles called elections, you should care about a paper ballot, verifiable votes for our candidate. "

LibertyEagle
08-08-2007, 08:48 AM
PLEASE be courteous if you contact these people. This is the Iowa GOP. You know, the people we need to get behind us for this primary. We do NOT need negative press on this.

Right now, we have Jim Condit on WHO radio, sounding like a lunatic about voter fraud, along with a rep from Tancredo's camp. Now, someone from the IOWA GOP. Condit is making us look like a pack of idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop this, people!

freelance
08-08-2007, 08:51 AM
>>Anyway, not only does it look bad on the GOP from where I sit, it also smacks of opportunism. "Want us to keep you safe, protect you, protect your way of life, it's going cost you reems of cash."

Sounds like a protection racket!

torchbearer
08-08-2007, 08:54 AM
>>Anyway, not only does it look bad on the GOP from where I sit, it also smacks of opportunism. "Want us to keep you safe, protect you, protect your way of life, it's going cost you reems of cash."

Sounds like a protection racket!

Sounds like something Tony Soprano would say... "Pay me and i'll make sure you don't have an 'accident'."

richard1984
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
First of all, why isn’t this (the "extortion") against the law? How are they allowed to do this? And, of course, shouldn’t accurate vote counting be of the utmost importance and priority (especially to the Iowa GOP, who will be held largely accountable for any detected error)?

Also, don’t the DIEBOLD machines print out little receipt type things? If this is the case, would it be possible to somehow coordinate all Ron Paul voters to hand in their receipts/proof-of-vote to the campaign so as to have them counted?
I know that’s probably unrealistic. But it sure would be nice! (and a lot cheaper, too)

Joe Knows
08-08-2007, 09:03 AM
if you intend to vote for Dr Paul please roll a marble down the chute and into the jar. Obviously, its not scientific but if they rip him off badly, we will all know. I actually hope they stifle the vote and get press out of it. You will know by the amount of people and excitement anyway who most support.

That is the easiest way and probably the most reliable.

Birdlady
08-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Yes, The oppurtunity has been put out there.. and the price is $184,000

It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that scoff at the price.
It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that nag to the party bosses that the system is unfair.
It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that say they are being cheated.
It's "Bottom Tier" candidates that complain of exclusion.

A "Top Tier" candidate would make it his personal resposibility to defend the honor of the Iowa GOP and ensure that every vote is counted, regardless the price.

A "Top Tier" candidate would not worry about himself, but instead would stand up to make sure every vote cast for Tommy Thompson, Sam Brownback, Mike Huckabee, and Mitt Romney are counted.

Most importantly, a "Top Tier" candidate would ensure that all votes are counted, espescially those cast against him, so that all Iowans, and all Americans, are the true winners this Saturday.

This could be the chance we have been waiting for.

The "top tier" are the ones running the voting machines, so of course they aren't complaining. Someone in the Iowa GOP must be guaranteeing the poll to either Romney or Giuliani and this is their way of laughing at us.

This is no chance whatsoever to make publicity. Remember all those other times we thought we would make publicity they ALWAYS find a way to smear Ron Paul no matter what. This will be NO different! In fact, if RP gets 100 votes or something (even if it's blatantly fraudulent) the media won't show the RP supporters. They surely won't report that the Diebold machines have been decertified in several states and then RP will be swept under the rug never to be spoken of again.

Some of you are forgetting that the media are in on all of this.

CJLauderdale4
08-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Look, every aspect of politics involves money. To get your name on the ballot, for counting and processing the votes, etc., etc.

However, the Diebold issue IS HUGE!! I'm in Florida and we bitched so loudly about this after an issue arose in Miami-Dade during the Mayoral election. Missed votes, etc....

Talahassee got rid of Diebold, but have now replaced them with other ones. I'm not sure how safe the new ones are....

trispear
08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
You would think that your $35 bucks (or Romneys :D) would at least buy you a fair count!

richard1984
08-08-2007, 10:11 AM
You would think that your $35 bucks (or Romneys :D) would at least buy you a fair count!

Or they could sell the damn machines and pay for people to count it that way. I'm sure the DIEBOLDS are really expensive. And people would probably volunteer to count votes anyway. It sure seems like we could find a better, honest, accurate way to do this. There's so much corruption in the world today....

angelatc
08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Here is my post on an easy way that Diebold counting machines could be verified.

It is not a hand recount but it should be easy.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=11248

YOu should get in touch with the Iowa GOP.

jd603
08-08-2007, 10:38 AM
there's no way it would cost anywhere near that, I smell fraud already.

Ron should pony up the money for a manual recount.... they are suspecting he'll be conservative and not do that, he should surprise them and do the opposite, especially if there is a big enough ron paul turnout compared to the others that could indicate very good results or even a win.

Edit: ..and they should watch the votes like hawks, the recount should be done publicly in front of everyone, that is the way it is done in my town for the elections.

paulitics
08-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Guys, I don't know about you but this Iowa straw poll is SHADY as hell. This whole thing is illegitamate. Bribing for votes, using controversial machines when not necessary, strong resistance from the GOP for a fair count, including extortion. The debate, with the smirky Mitt Romney strutting around like a peacock, as he knows it is in the bag. The extremely suspect several poorly written articles this week from professional writers who would not be where they are if they made those kind of mistakes. The media giving it way too much importance. Utterly deplorable.

At first I didn't understand why Ron Paul was not giving everything he had into Iowa. Now I see why it would be stupid to put all our eggs in this basket. I was naive, as cynical as I am, I was naive. Look, if we place anything above 6th place, I am happy. We did it with integrity, unlike the other slimeballs. So, no matter what the results are, we can not give up and hold our head up high. I saw someone say, if we get last place I'm out. That is the wrong attitude. This is not the primaries. This is a circus. We play by the rules, and our message will only get stronger if these guys pull more shenanigans.