PDA

View Full Version : Charging the Unhealthy More For Insurance

Matt Collins
08-07-2007, 09:41 PM
In late June, the Indianapolis-based hospital system announced that starting in 2009, it will fine employees $10 per paycheck if their body mass index (BMI, a ratio of height to weight that measures body fat) is over 30. If their cholesterol, blood pressure, and glucose levels are too high, they'll be charged $5 for each standard they don't meet. Ditto if they smoke: Starting next year, they'll be charged another $5 in each check.

Article is here:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/07/2057245

constituent
08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Why we need to scrap the whole "insurance" idea as it stands now.

Matt Collins
12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Why we need to scrap the whole "insurance" idea as it stands now.

I think the first thing we need to do is to get the government out of it. THEN the industry can change again.

nickcoons
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I agree with getting the government out of it. But what's wrong with charging someone extra if they are more likely to file a claim? The same is true with other forms of insurance. If I have a bad driving record, my auto insurance goes up. If I take actions that make myself unhealthy, why shouldn't my health insurance go up?

Matt Collins
12-02-2007, 08:51 PM
If I take actions that make myself unhealthy, why shouldn't my health insurance go up?I think this was about people who are genetically predisposed, not behavioral health.

Honestly I don't have an opinion either way.

nickcoons
12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I think this was about people who are genetically predisposed, not behavioral health.

I'm not sure it really matters what the cause is. Of course there are a small minority (yes, a small minority) of people that are unhealthy not by their own accord, but I'm not sure that creates a legal obligation for someone to take care of them, or provide the same coverage at the same price as a healthy person.

Matt Collins
12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure it really matters what the cause is. Of course there are a small minority (yes, a small minority) of people that are unhealthy not by their own accord, but I'm not sure that creates a legal obligation for someone to take care of them, or provide the same coverage at the same price as a healthy person.

That is very true.

Brutus
12-08-2007, 11:24 AM
You both have this right, but I'm just waiting for you to be called bigots for it. :)

angelatc
12-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Speaking as a person who is unhealthy and therefore can't get individual insurance.....this is why insurance just needs to go away. I don't have a problem with paying my own way, and of course I will pay more because I go to the doctor more, but the insurance companies skew the out-of-pocket market out of affordability and won't let me buy a policy for any price.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree with getting the government out of it. But what's wrong with charging someone extra if they are more likely to file a claim? The same is true with other forms of insurance. If I have a bad driving record, my auto insurance goes up. If I take actions that make myself unhealthy, why shouldn't my health insurance go up?

I doubt the existence of insurance companies in a true free market.