PDA

View Full Version : Dad voting for Romney because Paul has no chance?

dalaamprince
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey all,

My father was a Thompson supporter and would have voted for him if he hadn't dropped out. My dad shares Huckabee's Christian values and likes the idea of no IRS. However in talking to him he has decided he fully supports Paul's beliefs the most.

He thinks Paul doesn't stand a chance and he knows "you should vote based on beliefs not who you think can win". However, he despises McCain and feels a flipflopping Mormon with relaxed gay beliefs (Romney) wouldn't make a great president either. However, to him Romney is the lesser of two evils.

He will never vote Democrat, and probably wouldn't vote Democrat in the general election even if McCain got the nom.

So he is torn between voting on beliefs or voting for Romney to take votes away from McCain.

How can I convince him to vote based on beliefs rather than the probably more strategic choice?

AlexMerced
02-04-2008, 10:04 PM
tell him watch my newest video about delegates, should be showing up on youtube in the few minutes

Paulitical Correctness
02-04-2008, 10:05 PM
At least he's not voting for McCain like my dad. And at least he knows what he's doing is wrong. And at least he's given you a reason why he's choosing Romney.

:(

cazeringue
02-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Our VOtes really don't count anyways, it's the Delegates that count. SO, LET THE DELEGATES know that we demand restoration of the Constitution.

RSLudlum
02-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Well how's he gonna feel if he votes for Romney and McCain wins??? Then he's lost on both counts.... that's what i'd tell him.

Jeremy
Voting for Romney would be even more pointless. At least if Paul does good it says "this movement is real and we aren't stopping"

If Romney looses, it's over for him.

Shinerxx
Tell him if he votes for Romney he has to try to become a Paul supporting delegate for his precinct. 8)

Lord Xar
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
yes, show him the info on Delegates.

Also, tell him that the radio stations are ALL pumping up "romney" to go against McCain - its all a game... tell him to Vote who HE WANTS TO WIN...

This is the game the establishment ALWAYS plays so you are always playing with their choices...

Explain to your father that by doing what he intends, the system will NEVER CHANGE.

You can also just say 'hey dad, what will one vote do for Romney? Please vote your principle.. vote ron paul.."

This is REALLY getting pumped... for Romeny..

zadrock
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Have him listen to this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6lAFfLy05_Y

If he can still support Romney after that, well... then I don't know what to tell you. You should note that Larsen is based in FL, where RP had no chance, but voted for him anyway.

If you vote for the lesser of two evils, you still get evil.

Z

homah
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Just curious, what state is he in? If it's not winner take all, use the delegate/brokered convention argument. Or if he's polling well in that state, use that as an argument.

JAM824A
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
My mom and dad said the same thing, but they may vote for him just for me...

Alex
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
MY mom said she'd vote for Dr. Paul a while ago. My dad's been thinking for agres now about who to vote for. Only two days ago did he finally decide he'll vote for Paul over McCain.

dblee
the point of voting in the primaries isn't to pick the correct winner, it's to CHOOSE the winner.

dalaamprince
Just curious, what state is he in? If it's not winner take all, use the delegate/brokered convention argument. Or if he's polling well in that state, use that as an argument.

It's New Jersey, winner take all.

AlexMerced
02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
My dad is votin for hillary, but my mom goes to RP rallies and is a precinct leader

my little sisters pimp RP at high school

GML3G
02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
His vote is "just as insignificant" in helping Romney beat McCain as it is in helping Paul. His vote will not help Romney win, just as it won't help Paul will. Therefore, he should vote his conscience. So enough of the "he can't win" BS. That's not an excuse for not voting for the person whose beliefs you are most aligned with.

literatim
02-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I am gonna laugh when Romney drops out after Super Tuesday as they are expecting.

chadhb
It's a tough call, With Ron's primary results , he basically should be out of the race anyway.

Paulitical Correctness
When I try to get my dad to explain why he's voting for McCain, he actually says "Politics and religion are private, personal issues - it's none of your business."

:/

beerista
Uh, he was going to vote for Thompson, a guy who got handily beaten by Paul and who has since dropped out of the race. Your father clearly has no idea who "has a chance."

I don't expect that to be persuasive, but it might make you feel better to point it out. :p

dalaamprince
02-04-2008, 10:12 PM
His vote is "just as insignificant" in helping Romney beat McCain as it is in helping Paul. His vote will not help Romney win, just as it won't help Paul will. Therefore, he should vote his conscience. So enough of the "he can't win" BS. That's not an excuse for not voting for the person whose beliefs you are most aligned with.

Yeah I'm just going to have to keep driving this point into his head on the way to the polls.

Ninja Homer
02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Romney (and McCain, and Huckabee) has much less chance of ever being President than Paul. It's up to like 73% of people want an end to the war in Iraq immediately. A pro-war candidate will NOT win this general election.

A vote for any Republican besides Ron Paul is a wasted vote.

homah
02-04-2008, 10:13 PM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/nj/new_jersey_republican_primary-245.html

McCain should win with ease (unfortunately), so why not make a statement and vote for the best candidate in Paul? Change comes gradually. If he hits 10% instead of 5% in NJ, it might convince people in later primaries (like the neighboring state of PA) to vote for him. We need people to vote for him to get the snowball effect going.

withallmyheart
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Please give him this article to read.
http://files.meetup.com/497390/Dixie%20Republican%20Forum%20speech%2C%2015-Jan-08.pdf

scandinaviany3
Hey all,

My father was a Thompson supporter and would have voted for him if he hadn't dropped out. My dad shares Huckabee's Christian values and likes the idea of no IRS. However in talking to him he has decided he fully supports Paul's beliefs the most.

He knows Paul doesn't stand a chance and he knows "you should vote based on beliefs not who you think can win". However, he despises McCain and feels a Mormon will relaxed gay beliefs (Romney) wouldn't make a great a great president either. However, to him Romney is the lesser of two evils.

He will never vote Democrat, and probably wouldn't vote Democrat in the general election even if McCain got the nom.

So he is torn between voting on beliefs or voting for Romney to take votes away from McCain.

How can I convince him to vote based on beliefs rather than the probably more strategic choice?

strange that he would pick romney. Romney is already targetted by high end democrats for economic leveraged buyouts his firm has done and taken away jobs from americans. As well as numerous china toxic toys relationship with companies bought out. In such a hot issue for the country on the economy this will come front and center and they know its an instant victory for whoever the democratic candidate is.

There is no way anyone can GET RID OF THE IRS. The irs handles ALL the taxes. The only thing you can do is point the IRS to the borders rather than onto the people or small business. Also the fair tax is too easily modified against the avg citizen, like every other thing they do in congress. We need to get rid of taxes and replace them with nothing not give them a very complicated tax plan that you can promise the RINO's in washington can turn against us.

This is the primary. You dont choose the republican victor here you choose who represents you in the convention process. That gives you a chance to get your issues focused on rather than others. If they havent supported these issues before running for president than dont bother wasting your chance for representation on an opportunist that once they get the nomination can ignore you.

Ultimately we must force this to convention. The McCain, Romney and Huckabee candidacy cant win in the general for various reasons. All will pull the party apart and none of them have a say on it. So they will all loose. Only Paul has a chance to pull together republicans. The democrats will seize unfortunately congress this time. It will take a Dr. No to deal with that. Also we need someone that can lead in cleaning out the bums in congress. Only doctor paul will do that with no support from the crooks in washington.

Paul's election is about being heard and giving to washington their punishment for their betrayal and starting a house cleaning.

We cant afford to wait any longer for more betrayal on things that are spun to say now you can trust me.

Things are too bad.

Also if by chance mccain(especially mccain), romney get nominated he will be part of a super majority that splits from the party and sends a message hell no and starts up a real 3rd party candidate.

It may not be Ron but it definitely wont be mccain, romney or the democrats.

Paul4Prez
I think you got the title of the thread backward. Ron Paul really will have no chance if everyone who likes him the best votes for Romney instead.

therealjjj77
Hey all,

He thinks Paul doesn't stand a chance and he knows "you should vote based on beliefs not who you think can win". However, he despises McCain and feels a flipflopping Mormon with relaxed gay beliefs (Romney) wouldn't make a great president either. However, to him Romney is the lesser of two evils.

Paul is the only one who stands a chance against the Dems at this point. Romney and McCain oppose 75% of Americans who want our troops brought out of Iraq. How can they win?

Ron Paul is the only candidate that Democrats support when they find out about him and where he stands. There are a ton of Dems on here. Ron Paul is our only chance against the Democrats(Romney and McCain are republican in label but are liberals at heart, don't let anyone fool you). Why vote for a liberal?

jake
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
One of these three will be the next President: Obama, Clinton, or Paul.

Pauls' Revere
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey all,

The lesser of two evil's..is still evil.

Vote your convictions...I vote for Bush on the same line of thought as your dad, and regret it emmensely!

thuja
02-04-2008, 10:19 PM
what's wrong with these dads who are afraid to vote for what they want, and instead vote for whomever the Old Media say to?

explain to them again.

LBT
02-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Tell him that Ron Paul has a better chance the he has of his vote for Romney making any difference.

The probability of his vote being the decider are over 1 million to 1.

DealzOnWheelz
02-04-2008, 10:24 PM
IF 3 people are voting between Jesus and satan and 2 people vote for satan will you vote for him just because he has a better chance to win??

dalaamprince
02-04-2008, 10:30 PM
IF 3 people are voting between Jesus and satan and 2 people vote for satan will you vote for him just because he has a better chance to win??

Haha I don't think you read the original post. But a valid point nonetheless -- just not applicable in this situation.

Thanehand
02-04-2008, 11:14 PM
One of these three will be the next President: Obama, Clinton, or Paul.

That deserves to be repeated.

With the American population largely against the war (for whatever reason) and a historically significant voter turnout for democrats in the primaries, it is clear that no pro-war candidate is going to win the general election in November.

A vote for anyone other than Ron Paul essentially concedes the election to Obama or Clinton.

Tell your dad that, and tell him that Ron only "doesn't have a chance" if he doesn't vote for him. He's letting the media manipulate his opinion and apparently doesn't even realize it.

filmmaker58
02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Ask him where he got the idea that ron Paul can't win, from listening to his ideas, or from the mainstream media telling him so? Then ask him if he is freethinking person or a media controlled robot? Orwell was so on the money.

Goldwater Conservative
02-04-2008, 11:21 PM
What state are you in? Even if you're in a Super Tuesday state, it probably doesn't even matter since McCain is likely going to sweep. Romney and McCain both have three wins under their belts, but while McCain's are big (NH has a good track record in picking presidents, SC has had a 100% track record since 1980 in picking the GOP nominee, Florida is a huge state representative of the whole country) Romney's are less so (Wyoming is a sparsely-populated state that used such a party insider caucus it didn't even have popular votes, Michigan is his birth state where his father was governor, Nevada had tiny turnout and a lot of Mormons who voted 95% for him). McCain is now leading in most of the Super Tuesday states, and many of them (especially the ones where McCain is strongest) are winner-take-all. Chances are your father might as well vote for Paul since he may be the only choice other than McCain when he gets to vote.

devil21
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Ask him if he roots for his home team or he roots for the better visiting team just because the visiting team is more likely to win? That should make him stop and think (if hes into sports).

rajibo
02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
:mad:

If every person who said they won't vote for Ron Paul because "Ron Paul can't win", then Ron Paul would win.

:mad:

gerryb
02-04-2008, 11:32 PM

make sure you vote on June 3rd in NJ for the delegate slate and Murray Sabrin for US Senate

RevolutionSD
02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
My dad was a big giuliani backer but since he dropped out I won't even bring up politics because it's a sore subject with my family. :eek:
I have no idea who he's voting for tomorrow but I'll bet it's Romney- "lesser of 2 evils" and he wouldn't even consider Paul even though he agrees with him on like 75% of issues.

Very sad.

JMO
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
When given a choice of voting for whats good for the country and the lesser of two evils, I will vote for whats good even if good is not the popular choice.

I still stand by that a pro candidate will not be president. Polls say that the economy is the #1 topic of concern. I was part of one of those polls and I also said the economy is the #1 issue, however I consider the war a major drag on the economy and that is the biggest reason why our economy is going down. I bet a lot of other people that said the economy is the #1 issue feels the same.

In my opinion Romney and Mccain will never be president because of their pro war stance, at least with Ron Paul we have a chance of converting candidates that are voting democrat, because no matter who the republican candidate is we will need to convert some to the republican side or we will lose.

Lmata
02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Remind him of the founding fathers. They were up against the richest, most powerful country and had no chance of winning the revolution. They fought for what they knew was right - and won - against ALL odds!

We can too if everyone has the same attitude as the founding fathers of this great country.

sirachman
02-05-2008, 12:16 AM
You are VOTING in an ELECTION!
NOT BETTING on the winner of a FOOTBALL GAME!

hows that?