PDA

View Full Version : Question about NJ Voting

SRRP77
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
So tomorrow I vote in the primary, have my voting card and my license and my location. I read on the NJ website something about needing to bring a bill with me for proof of address.

Anyone know anything about this?

Chester Copperpot
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
So tomorrow I vote in the primary, have my voting card and my license and my location. I read on the NJ website something about needing to bring a bill with me for proof of address.

Anyone know anything about this?

I havent heard anything about this.. As far as I know you just go in their and give em your name. I dont even think I have a voting card... But Im independent currently.. Tomorrow I get to declare my GOP affiliation at the polls.

And Im glad you're from New Jersey, you look fantastic!

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
When you vote they will have a book that contains all the names of the registered republicans in your precinct. All you have to do is show them your ID. There may be a question of whether or not you are "OFFICIALLY" registered as a republican due to shenanagans. I will be taking my letter from my county board of elections stating I am registered as a republican. I suggest you take any documentation showing you are a republican.

SRRP77
02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't have documentation showing I am republican...I am undecided, wasn't sure if that was okay but they sent me a sample primary ballot. What I was told is that when I vote Republican I will then be considered a republican and if I want to vote Democrat in the future I will have to change my stance.

SCREMF
02-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I am in tennesee, just turned 18. I registered to vote, and recieved my voters card. The problem is I cant find that card, do I need it to vote?

SRRP77
02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
??

i've never voted before :( First time I was eligible to vote for president I was away in NY and didn't care enough about Kerry or Bush to absentee

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
You have to be either registered as a Republican OR Unaffilliated. If you are Unaffiliated you will have to register as republican at the polls. If you are registered as an Independent I believe you can't vote.

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I am in tennesee, just turned 18. I registered to vote, and recieved my voters card. The problem is I cant find that card, do I need it to vote?

I dont know about Tennessee but in NJ as long as you can prove who you are and you are able to vote they should let you. I have never had to present my voter registration card. I just give them my drivers liscence and sign my name.

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I havent heard anything about this.. As far as I know you just go in their and give em your name. I dont even think I have a voting card... But Im independent currently.. Tomorrow I get to declare my GOP affiliation at the polls.

And Im glad you're from New Jersey, you look fantastic!

If you are registered as an Independent I do not believe you will be able to change your status at the polls. Unaffiliated can because they never registered, but you will be changing your affiliation which needs to be done through you county board of elections. Are you sure your an INDEPENDENT and not an UNAFFILIATED?

homah
02-04-2008, 09:57 PM
You have to be either registered as a Republican OR Unaffilliated. If you are Unaffiliated you will have to register as republican at the polls. If you are registered as an Independent I believe you can't vote.

Is this just a NJ thing or is it true for all states? My wife is registered as an independent (as in no party affiliation, not Independent with a capital "I") and I assumed she would not be able to vote for Dr. Paul.

Chester Copperpot
02-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't have documentation showing I am republican...I am undecided, wasn't sure if that was okay but they sent me a sample primary ballot. What I was told is that when I vote Republican I will then be considered a republican and if I want to vote Democrat in the future I will have to change my stance.

You have to declare your affiliation as a republican and then you vote. I spoke to the lady at the board of elections.. She knew about Ron Paul as well. she told me if the pollsters give you any crap to have them call the board of elections right there from the poll and I would be allowed to vote.. So dont take any shit from these people.

SRRP77
02-04-2008, 10:00 PM

I am unaffiliated...when I filled out my paperwork I filled in the choice that said something about not declaring a party.

Chester Copperpot
02-04-2008, 10:01 PM
If you are registered as an Independent I do not believe you will be able to change your status at the polls. Unaffiliated can because they never registered, but you will be changing your affiliation which needs to be done through you county board of elections. Are you sure your an INDEPENDENT and not an UNAFFILIATED?

The lady at the board of elections looked it up in the computer and her exact words were that I was "unaffiliated".. Now, I assumed that meant I was independent.. I didnt know there was a different meaning between the 2 terms.

So as far as I know I am unaffiliated.

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Is this just a NJ thing or is it true for all states? My wife is registered as an independent (as in no party affiliation, not Independent with a capital "I") and I assumed she would not be able to vote for Dr. Paul.

You have to clear your words up. Unaffilitated means you never registered as a: Republican, Democrat, Independent. It also means you never voted in ANY primary, unless you changed your registration back to Unaffiliated. Independent and Unaffiliated are two seperate things. As an Independent you have to declare you are an Independent by registering as an Independent. Which one is it?

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
The lady at the board of elections looked it up in the computer and her exact words were that I was "unaffiliated".. Now, I assumed that meant I was independent.. I didnt know there was a different meaning between the 2 terms.

So as far as I know I am unaffiliated.

In NJ now its a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE. NJ changed its rules this year about that. If she said you are Unaffiliated then you are good to go vote.

ForrestLayne
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM

When I helped my 2 sons register in VA there was no rule about registering any party. I think each state is different. ANd each state is different as to who can vote in which primary.

SRRP77
You have to clear your words up. Unaffilitated means you never registered as a: Republican, Democrat, Independent. It also means you never voted in ANY primary, unless you changed your registration back to Unaffiliated. Independent and Unaffiliated are two seperate things. As an Independent you have to declare you are an Independent by registering as an Independent. Which one is it?

Yeah I am with you. I don't recall seeing Independant as a choice when you register to vote. I think if you vote Independant once you will be declared an Independant.

kaaos
Question, do you NEED a drivers license to vote?? or will a college id do just fine??? I'm gunna be voting here in california tommorrow.. so some info would be much appreciated, thanks!

homah
02-04-2008, 10:04 PM

On the voter card, it says "Party No Party". Sorry for the confusion.

edit -- Just realized the card does not have a check mark next to being eligible to vote in the Primary elections. :(

SRRP77
02-04-2008, 10:05 PM

edit -- Just realized the card does not have a check mark next to being eligible to vote in the Primary elections. :(

Hmm my voter card doesn't say anything...we need this thread to be changed to a general voting questions thread...do i change it?

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Thats sucks. There was alot of disinformation going around about this. Dirty tricks by the GOP, Neocon hacks.

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Question, do you NEED a drivers license to vote?? or will a college id do just fine??? I'm gunna be voting here in california tommorrow.. so some info would be much appreciated, thanks!

I dont know about Cali but as long as you can prove who you are and you are able to vote you should be fine. Just take as much documentation as you can.

Mark37snj
02-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Your card says you may not be able to vote in the primary because you are not registered as a republican BUT if you really are an Unaffiliated you CAN register at the polls and vote. It all depends on what your official status is. Go vote just to make sure. Better safe than sorry. For Ron Paul.

homah
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Your card says you may not be able to vote in the primary because you are not registered as a republican BUT if you really are an Unaffiliated you CAN register at the polls and vote. It all depends on what your official status is. Go vote just to make sure. Better safe than sorry. For Ron Paul.

Thanks. I'm going to vote in the morning and will ask at the polls about the wife's situation. Hopefully, I'll head back with her in the evening.