PDA

View Full Version : Honda to make offer to buy Ford!!!

hummtide
02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I'll post a link as soon as I can!

icon124
02-04-2008, 05:07 PM
WOW...Goodbye America

amy31416
02-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Nooooooooooooo No Nooooooo Nooo!

P.s. No!

coastie
02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Hmm, strange that Honda would tarnish it's name like that...

jacmicwag
02-04-2008, 05:15 PM
....and bring back the Pinto.

amy31416
02-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Blasphemer!

I love Ford (I know, they've had their problems) but their quality has gone up immensely since the 80's, they've actually surpassed Toyota in quality.

hummtide
02-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Blasphemer!

I love Ford (I know, they've had their problems) but their quality has gone up immensely since the 80's, they've actually surpassed Toyota in quality.

HUH?

Can we say Focus.. the most recalled POS in history!

dvictr
02-04-2008, 05:23 PM

hahahha.. true

Mesogen
02-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Ford, Honda, what's the difference? They are all mulitnational corporations. It's not like it's Japan buying the US. If you want some Honda profits, just invest in their stock. If you want to build Honda cars, get a job at a Honda plant in the US.

Madcat455
02-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Blasphemer!

Do you know why their quality went up immensly since the 80's???? That'd be because in 1986 they purchased a 25-30% stake in Mazda, and started using Mazda design & engines.

Ford Probe... All mazda
Ford Contour... Mazda again
Focus.. mazda engine & trans (not sure on the trans)
My Mazda 2005 MPV has a Ford V6....LOL.

I find it od that Honda would offer to purchase them... I'd think Mazda would do that before Honda.:confused:

Alex Libman
02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automaker

Can a company that makes 3,767,000 vehicles a year (revenue $93 billion, 167,231 employees) buy out a company that makes 6,553,000 (revenue $173.9 billion, 245,000 employees)?

constituent
02-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Can a company that makes 3,767,000 vehicles a year (revenue $93 billion, 167,231 employees) buy out a company that makes 6,553,000 (revenue $173.9 billion, 245,000 employees)?

b/c it might give americans a shred of faith in the brand they've been taught to identify themselves with.

sorry, drove a civic w/ 300,000 miles on it... no problems aside from typical maintenance woes.

Mesogen
02-04-2008, 06:00 PM

Depends on total assets, not revenue per se. What's Ford's debt to asset ratio? If they are deep in debt, then they are ripe for takeover.

amy31416
02-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Do you know why their quality went up immensly since the 80's???? That'd be because in 1986 they purchased a 25-30% stake in Mazda, and started using Mazda design & engines.

Ford Probe... All mazda

I find it od that Honda would offer to purchase them... I'd think Mazda would do that before Honda.:confused:

I have no doubt that there's some truth to that. I would love to buy American cars and I think Ford is the best bet. I know Mazda had a lot to do with it. But they're (Ford) also doing some very innovative things with alternative fuel engines.

I was raised in a Ford household, so I know I'm biased, but their old engines were and are so easy to work on (I have a 1960 Ford F-100, running strong!) I like them, I still like them, I think they have great style lately and they're doing some good things. Give 'em another look, it can't hurt!

Number19
02-04-2008, 06:05 PM
...and it's all tied to American monetary policy - and all those dollars we've been exporting for the past five decades. Some of those dollars are used to buy oil, at least until the IOB is a going operation ( that is, if the U.S. doesn't intervene - four cut communication cables in four days looks suspicious ). But the rest of those dollars sitting in foreign banks are depreciating in value each year.

Only RP has the solution - return to a gold standard.

ignoranceisntbliss
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM

It would appear that Ford builds more cars with less people than Honda does.

Damn Toyota came close to GM in cars produced last year!!!!

Politicallore
02-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I have no doubt that there's some truth to that. I would love to buy American cars and I think Ford is the best bet. I know Mazda had a lot to do with it. But they're (Ford) also doing some very innovative things with alternative fuel engines.

I was raised in a Ford household, so I know I'm biased, but their old engines were and are so easy to work on (I have a 1960 Ford F-100, running strong!) I like them, I still like them, I think they have great style lately and they're doing some good things. Give 'em another look, it can't hurt!

WOAH! nobody said that OLD ford is bad... lol Yes good for you that you have a 1960 f100, that is a great vehicle... We are talking about any car produced in my lifetime... is likely to fall apart and rust out...

lol If you go for an american car... go for the new Camaro... Otherwise... Honda (other than their ugly models) is your best bet... Need a half ton? Toyota. Need a Commercial truck, go international... Never given anybody I know problems...

Chevy trucks, in my mind at least, (work construction) are the cut above... until Toyota releases a 3/4, and a 1 ton...

F150s only sell because they are cheap..

RonPaul_SantaMonica
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I'll post a link as soon as I can!

Where did you read/hear about it?

ignoranceisntbliss
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
So wheres the link?

This thread appears to be diversion....

Eponym_mi
02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
bullshit

Sweman
02-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Ford Probe... All mazda

And ten years ago they bought Volvo. They got some good quality there.

HOLLYWOOD
02-04-2008, 06:34 PM
SELL SELL... SELLOUT you CAPITALISTIC WHORES!

Politicallore
02-04-2008, 06:36 PM
And ten years ago they bought Volvo. They got some good quality there.

Then they ruined it... to sell it at a lose...
Just like jaguar....

amy31416
02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
WOAH! nobody said that OLD ford is bad... lol Yes good for you that you have a 1960 f100, that is a great vehicle... We are talking about any car produced in my lifetime... is likely to fall apart and rust out...

lol If you go for an american car... go for the new Camaro... Otherwise... Honda (other than their ugly models) is your best bet... Need a half ton? Toyota. Need a Commercial truck, go international... Never given anybody I know problems...

Chevy trucks, in my mind at least, (work construction) are the cut above... until Toyota releases a 3/4, and a 1 ton...

I can't drive a Camaro, I don't have a mustache for God's sake!

Seriously, give Ford another look, they are good these days.

raystone
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
as someone who's watched the automotive industry for a living for the past 10 years, I would suggest Ford privately owned by the Ford family (majority stockholder) will not (and can afford not to ) sell the company to any other corp. If so, it would have sold years ago when it was in even worse shape. Things are getting better there.

angrydragon
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Where's the source of this info?

Politicallore
02-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I can't drive a Camaro, I don't have a mustache for God's sake!

Seriously, give Ford another look, they are good these days.

I hate to say it but the 4 gens... made camaros equally a womens car

Time for Change
02-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I hope honda does NOT do that.
They are buying a sinking ship.
Ford has completely lost it's reliability, and the quality of the components going into them now is far below par.
I have owned many fords, and will not consider them at all until I see a shift in management tactic.
My last ford had 3 transmissions in 65k miles. I was NOT beating on that truck either...it was a daily driver.
These were not shudder issues they were catastrophic failures that left me walking every time, conveniently starting at 37k miles.
Coincidence? I think not.
Until they return to the reliability, and stop engineering them to keep the service department in business, they are off the radar.
Honda buying them is not rational, but who knows, maybe they'll do wholesale department cleanings and eliminate the dipshits that decided to save a few bucks and forsake quality.

GTMomma
02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I sure hope this isn't true.

I love my car, but if Ford is bought out by Honda I'd feel kind of funny driving it around. Then I'd have to pick between a charger and a camaro. That's almost as bad as having to pick between McCain and Romney.

Richandler
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I hope this is true. Ford will go under unless they have someone else guiding the company. Simply put Honda's are built to last and until very recently Fords break apart like a high stool made of straw.

My Honda, I bought used 2 years ago with 97,000 miles, is frikin invincible. I haven't had to service it once besides oil.

heath.whiteaker
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
sources please

Caravello
02-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I am a Ford man. This is sickening. But the silver lining is that there are a lot of Americans who are passionate about American cars and industry, and this would create massive resentment over our stupid trade and fiscal policies. But I bet the Chevy guys would get a big laugh out of it, so maybe there is no silver lining....

Time for Change
02-05-2008, 04:19 AM
I am a Ford man. This is sickening. But the silver lining is that there are a lot of Americans who are passionate about American cars and industry, and this would create massive resentment over our stupid trade and fiscal policies. But I bet the Chevy guys would get a big laugh out of it, so maybe there is no silver lining....

Try to keep in mind where the "Big 3" vehicles are built.
They are built in Mexico and Canada.
Research it and you will be surprised how many plants closed and moved outside the US.
Dodge keeps a token plant open so they can place a "Made in USA" sticker on the trucks they ship in.
The american loyalty is interesting...they continue to say "Buy American" and do so, but they are essentially foreign cars.

As far as the big 3 cars go, I will not support anyone that is supposed to be american, but ships it's products in from Mexico.

Ira Aten
02-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Hell, the end of American manufacturing industry, and the Republic as we know it, was when 100 year old knife maker Schrade Cutlery (the old Schrade Waldren Company) closed shop in the United States and Frost Knives bought the right to their model names and began manufacturing the Uncle Henry and Old Timer knifes in.......CHINA.

That was the end of the Republic as we know it.

It will be a cold day in hell when I even touch a so called "Schrade" knife made by Frost manufacturing of CHINA.

unklejman
02-05-2008, 10:44 AM
So far I have not owned a car that is not a Honda. This would be a strange move. The only benefit I can see is that if people know that Honda took over Ford, they might buy a Ford? But then these "American made" loyalists will quite buying Fords. Maybe they are buying it to just make it disappear...

So where is the source for this info? :confused:

Michigan11
02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Blasphemer!

Very true, my brother works for Ford in Detroit, and he would testify to that.

I have owned nothing but f-150's and f-250's, and have never had any problems with any of them. Also, their cars have now surpassed Toyota's in quality as well.

Michigan11
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM

f-150's are not by any means cheap!!!!

I have owned 2 f-150's(v-8's) and an f-250(v-10).

99' f-150 drove 240,000 miles, zero problems and then sold it to buy new.

03' f-250 drove 220,000 miles, zero problems and then sold it to buy current f-150 with zero problems thus far.

I have never had any problems with any of my trucks from Ford. EVER!

Their cars were something else however up until 2 years ago, but now their quality has surpassed Toyota's...not kidding, i didn't believe it until i drove a few of them recently

amy31416
02-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Very true, my brother works for Ford in Detroit, and he would testify to that.

I have owned nothing but f-150's and f-250's, and have never had any problems with any of them. Also, their cars have now surpassed Toyota's in quality as well.

Nice! My dad was a Ford guy and we have a '79 Bronco, '77 F-150, '60 F-100 and an '89 Lincoln MK7--all running strong.

Ford is also doing a lot of innovative things, check this out a 200mph hydrogen fuel cell vehicle:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4220281.html

Michigan11
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Then they ruined it... to sell it at a lose...
Just like jaguar....

Ford did not sell Volvo.

Michigan11
02-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Nice! My dad was a Ford guy and we have a '79 Bronco, '77 F-150, '60 F-100 and an '89 Lincoln MK7--all running strong.

Ford is also doing a lot of innovative things, check this out a 200mph hydrogen fuel cell vehicle:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4220281.html

Nice to hear! I don't think this rumor the original poster said is true.

SeanEdwards
02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I think it's time to express my profound admiration and respect for all things Asian.

I for one want to welcome our new masters. I hope I can be of service in their glorious regime, and that they can overlook the fact that I'm a white devil.

NinjaPirate
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Meh, I had a friend who bought a Ford in Germany, and the engine block cracked as soon as that thing hit 50k miles. Unless it's a truck, I'd never consider buying a Ford.

FORD = Found On the Road Dead
FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

american empire
02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
uhhh isnt this capitalism ....why do people suddenly cry when it affects them ....haha.

btw I would buy a toyota or honda over a ford any day.....its not the patriotism to buy local but the quality and free market.....toyota and honda lasts way longer and are durable for a good price.....btw try selling a 2 yr old ford vs a 2 yr old toyota and tell me how much each was sold.....besides the gas mileage is way better compared to ford...overall more economical....

I guess when American companies were buying the companies around the world it was Capitalism and countries were shunned as "closed" to resist such overtures.....now you guys would love to have the govt intervene and stop this .....haha we are getting the taste of our own medicine and what we have been doing around the world for over 50 yrs....blowback no?

angrydragon
02-05-2008, 01:10 PM
The OP still has no source to this offer to buy Ford.

Anthony T
02-05-2008, 01:13 PM
And I found nothing line about it.

amy31416
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Nice to hear! I don't think this rumor the original poster said is true.

I agree. I watch the news on stuff like this and haven't heard anything of the sort.

I'm glad Ford sold Jaguar, they were great in the early days of racing, but have zero credibility as far as quality goes.

Volvo is working out well, as far as I can see.

m4ff3w
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Ford Probe... All mazda

Wow, this is a most uninformed post.

The probe was offered with both Ford and Mazda engines.

The Contour is 100% Ford, it is the US version of the Mondeo from Europe.
The Focus does NOT use a Mazda engine or Trans. The Duratec is related to the Mazda MZR, but they were developed in conjunction with each other. The MTX75 is a Ford unit which debuted in the 1992 Mondeo.

american empire
02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
haha good to know that a lot of people who don't buy stuff for patriotism as portrayed in many truck ads....but for the value for their money.....although the op may not be true...but no one answered my post so prob every agrees...

Caravello
02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Try to keep in mind where the "Big 3" vehicles are built.
They are built in Mexico and Canada.
Research it and you will be surprised how many plants closed and moved outside the US.
Dodge keeps a token plant open so they can place a "Made in USA" sticker on the trucks they ship in.
The american loyalty is interesting...they continue to say "Buy American" and do so, but they are essentially foreign cars.

As far as the big 3 cars go, I will not support anyone that is supposed to be american, but ships it's products in from Mexico.

I know it's all convoluted. I note that I just leased an Explorer, and the window sticker says 85% (or so) of the parts were made in America. The transmission was made in Germany, and some other big component was made in France! But still, it's a lot worse if Honda buys Ford. What a slap in the face!