PDA

View Full Version : new scenario: McCain VS Paul

trey4sports
02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
here (IMO) is the most likely scenario
McCain recieves slightly enough votes to clinch the nom (feb5). So Willard and Huck drop, but huck is anointed the VP.
Paul will rack up a couple 2nd place finishes and go wellll below the media radar.
the Media will anoint McCain the GOP nomination but Paul will still be in the race and will still get very little media coverage he will naturally pickup about 4 % more votes just because there will be some who seriously dislike McCain from the Romney camp. From there we will try to (and this is very very important) "fend off" McCain from completely running amuck on the last couple states so we can keep the convention brokered
at that point we will begin to rackup Delegates and hopefully win a brokered convention

this is how i imagine things working, who knows if im even close

AlexMerced
02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
ummmm....let's hope not, our best bet is is if mitt and huck stay in the race

firebirdnation
02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree and think this might be a likely scenario and I think this is what Ron Paul is waiting for. After Romney drops out (if he does), all of his supporters will be looking for a "conservative" candidate as they obviously do not like McCain. I just finished canvassing my precinct and am not worried about Super Tuesday at this point. I just hope the donations keep coming in to keep Ron Paul afloat as I am sure his donations will surge once Romney and the Huckster drop out of the race.

firebirdnation
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM

I am not sure about this as a lot of people are looking to Romney because they HATE McCain. I have been listening to a lot of talk radio and the majority of hosts HATE McCain and are looking for a more "Conservative" candidate, and they are throwing their support behind Romney as he is seen as the more "Conservative" candidate, or the lesser of two evils. Some, such as Ann Coulter have even suggest she would vote for Clinton over McCain. If Romney and the Huckster drop out, I think they will have to give Ron Paul a second look as they will not support McCain.

trey4sports
02-04-2008, 03:59 PM

i hope it doesnt happen either but the polls havent lied yet....
so well see

dougr583
02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
The core of the Republican party will never support Dr. Paul because of his anti-war stance. There are still 30% of the people in this country who support endless war.

The surprising part of this for me is that the other 70% mostly support candidates who want to continue the occupation of Iraq and some of them even want to expand the so-called war on terror into other countries.

IMO, the longer Dr. Paul stays in the race, the better the chances that some of that 70% will wake up and realize he's the only candidate who will end the madness.

firebirdnation
02-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I guess it depends on where you live, but all the Republicans I know are against the occupation of Iraq.

trey4sports
02-04-2008, 04:11 PM
The core of the Republican party will never support Dr. Paul because of his anti-war stance. There are still 30% of the people in this country who support endless war.

The surprising part of this for me is that the other 70% mostly support candidates who want to continue the occupation of Iraq and some of them even want to expand the so-called war on terror into other countries.

IMO, the longer Dr. Paul stays in the race, the better the chances that some of that 70% will wake up and realize he's the only candidate who will end the madness.

very smart post. im all for staying in as long as possible and then running INDY. if we cant win the house then we need to wake as many up as possible and then win in 2012

IDefendThePlatform
02-04-2008, 04:14 PM
My latest fantasy scenario involves McCain all but wrapping up the nomination on Super Tuesday (tomorrow). Then Romney and Huck concede. Dr. P then lays low for a month before announcing a run as an Independent. Clinton will have (hopefully) locked up the Dem nomination by this time. RP then uses the downtime between April and the conventions in September to promote his Independent run. Eventually, in a three-way race with two pro-war candidates(Hillary originally voted for invading Iraq), RP wins the general election. Agreed?

trey4sports
02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
My latest fantasy scenario involves McCain all but wrapping up the nomination on Super Tuesday (tomorrow). Then Romney and Huck concede. Dr. P then lays low for a month before announcing a run as an Independent. Clinton will have (hopefully) locked up the Dem nomination by this time. RP then uses the downtime between April and the conventions in September to promote his Independent run. Eventually, in a three-way race with two pro-war candidates(Hillary originally voted for invading Iraq), RP wins the general election. Agreed?

would love to see, but once again the biggest factor is media exposure we wont win anything if we dont get any media attention

NoMoreApathy
02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Guys, I'm starting to see more and more people gravitate towards RP, if out of nothing more than PROTEST.

People who are backing Romney hate McCain, and people who are backing McCain hate Romney. I've already seen many rank and file republicans who aren't happy with EITHER choice, or huck, and are realizing that at least with RP, they'll get some actual conservatism out of the Oval Office.

When I ask them about how they managed to concede foreign policy, they say they just want a real conservative.

As long as Paul stays in the race, there's definitely a chance. The other candidates are going to ruin it for the establishment. The establishment is going to be their own worst enemy, mark my words.

RonRules
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM

I like that one best. The stranglehold the two parties have on this country is taking us to bankruptcy.

I'm hoping for a McCain win.

Kotin
02-04-2008, 04:23 PM

why?

NOLA
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
IF RON AS AN INDEPENDENT HE WILL NOT WIN PERIOD.

his best hope is that huck and mitt drop after tuesday and it is only McCain and Paul. Ron drops 10 million on ads in the last states totally trashing McCain and his liberal record. Thus winning all the delegates in those states that vote after Super Tuesday.

jp5065
02-04-2008, 04:30 PM

his best hope is that huck and mitt drop after tuesday and it is only McCain and Paul. Ron drops 10 million on ads in the last states totally trashing McCain and his liberal record. Thus winning all the delegates in those states that vote after Super Tuesday.

I didn't think Paul could ever run independent... If you seek the nomination of one party aren't you not allowed on the ballot of another party in most states?

I don't have time to look it up at work, but that's how I thought it worked...

Can anyone shed some light?

Michael Ingram

QFT, we want head to head vs. Mccain, some Romney guys will be forced to come to us because NO ONE wants Mccain.

Original_Intent
here (IMO) is the most likely scenario
McCain recieves slightly enough votes to clinch the nom (feb5). So Willard and Huck drop, but huck is anointed the VP.
Paul will rack up a couple 2nd place finishes and go wellll below the media radar.
the Media will anoint McCain the GOP nomination but Paul will still be in the race and will still get very little media coverage he will naturally pickup about 4 % more votes just because there will be some who seriously dislike McCain from the Romney camp. From there we will try to (and this is very very important) "fend off" McCain from completely running amuck on the last couple states so we can keep the convention brokered
at that point we will begin to rackup Delegates and hopefully win a brokered convention

this is how i imagine things working, who knows if im even close

If McCain gets enough delegates to clinch the nomination on February 5th, there will be no brokered convention.