PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and labor unions...

Starks
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
What do Ron Paul and the AFL-CIO think of each other?

JosephTheLibertarian
08-07-2007, 05:45 PM

I can tell you where I stand. I believe in allowing natural free market unions to form and to not create any regulation that restricts workers or companies.

Akus
08-07-2007, 05:50 PM

that's like asking what does water and oil think of one another?
or what do two magnets put together close with the same poles think of one another?

gravesdav
08-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Too bad they sold out.
But I think Ron Paul really is a populist. Less government, low inflation, sound money, and free trade really does help the middle and working class.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Too bad they sold out.
But I think Ron Paul really is a populist. Less government, low inflation, sound money, and free trade really does help the middle and working class.

I think he's a moderate libertarian. populists believe that companies are evil. I guess they forget what runs the economy.

Starks
08-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Too bad they sold out.

I think labor unions are also important... They are one of the few things capable of keeping corporations in check.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I think labor unions are also important... They are one of the few things capable of keeping corporations in check.

I'm against the corporate structure here in America. We should eliminate "corporate status" and corporate welfare.

Starks
08-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm against the corporate structure here in America. We should eliminate "corporate status" and corporate welfare.

What is "corporate status"? The ability for a corporation to be identified as a single entity?

JosephTheLibertarian
08-07-2007, 06:01 PM
What is "corporate status"? The ability for a corporation to be identified as a single entity?

Yup.

Starks
08-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Yup. That's where Libertarians and Republicans go their separate ways on economic issues :D

I don't get it though... I thought corporate status only applied at the legalistic level...

Is there more to it than that?

BLS
08-07-2007, 06:05 PM

To an extent I agree.
But by today's terms, it has gotten WAY out of hand.

My good buddy is a union electrician. He went to school for 1 year, and has been doing it for about 8 years now. He makes over 70,000 a year. Plus his pension and retirement is INSANE.

I asked him about what it was like to work for the union. He told me, one day he went to a Wal Mart to wire it, and about 200 other electricians were there.
About 150 too many. He went up to his boss and asked him what he wanted him to do....his words "get lost". He said he spent the next 2 weeks playing cards on the roof with about 100 other guys because they weren't needed, but they all got paid a ridiculous rate. Unions were good and even necessary back in the beginning to protect it's workers. It has gotten like all other 'governments'. They stronghold companies into paying exhuberant rates to have work done, because if they don't they will drill them legally. Unions nowadays are no different than big corporations.

Who do you think pays for those excessive costs to build, wire and mason buildings you shop in?

That's right....you.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't get it though... I thought corporate status only applied at the legalistic level...

Is there more to it than that?

They shouldn't be viewed as a single entity. This means that the people that run these companies would be held fully accountable for their actions, there's no "LLC" to hide behind.

Starks
08-07-2007, 06:07 PM
They shouldn't be viewed as a single entity. This means that the people that run these companies would be held fully accountable for their actions, there's no "LLC" to hide behind.

Ah... I see. Thanks for the clarification.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Ah... I see. Thanks for the clarification.

yeah... you won't see this idea come up ;)