PDA

View Full Version : Call Abc News Hq Now -

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Pick up your phone and start calling ABC Headquarters here :

ABC, Inc.
77 W. 66th St.
3rd Fl.
New York, NY 10023-6298 United States (Map)

Phone: 212-456-7777
Fax: 212-456-1424
http://abc.go.com

Officers & Employees
Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks; President, ESPN and ABC Sports George W. Bodenheimer

Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks; President, Disney-ABC Television Group Anne M. Sweeney

President, ABC Network Operations and Administration Alex Wallau

EVP and CFO, ABC Television Network and ABC Television Studios James L. (Jim) Hedges

EVP Jeffrey D. (Jeff) Bader

EVP Marketing, Advertising, and Promotion Michael (Mike) Benson

EVP Casting, ABC Entertainment Television Group Keli Lee

EVP Marketing Marla Provencio

SVP and Deputy General Counsel T. Scott Fain

SVP Comedy Development Samie Kim Falvey

SVP Business Development Bruce Gersh

SVP Legal Affairs, ABC and ABC Television Studios Milinda McNeely

SVP Entertainment Communications Nicole Nichols

SVP Human Resources Jeffrey S. Rosen

SVP Labor Relations Jeffrey Ruthizer

SVP Strategy Peter Seymour
Age 39

SVP Movies and Mini-Series Lance B. Taylor

SVP Motion Pictures for Television Quinn Taylor

SVP Communications Resources Sharon Williams

VP Current and Alternative Series Vicki Dummer

VP Human Resources Recruiting, Training, and Organizational Development Susan Dumond

VP Multiplatform Program Planning and Scheduling Wendell Foster

VP Alternative Series and Specials Duncan Gray

VP Media Relations Hope Hartman

VP Comedy Development Amy Hartwick

VP Human Resources Operations Sandy Hooper

VP Corporate Communications, Disney-ABC Television Group Julie Hoover

Make A Connection

* Connect through your network
* What's This?
* Send e-mail
* What's This?

VP Primetime Audience Analysis Larry Hyams

VP Corporate Initiatives Brad Jamison

VP Branded Television Communications, EMEA Siobhan Kenny

VP Ratings and Scheduling Jeff Lindsey

VP Artist Relations Janice McGoff

VP Drama Series Brian Morewitz

VP Media Relations Jori Peterson

VP Communications Heather Rim

VP Media Relations Alison Rou

VP Media Relations and Network Communications Susan Sewell

VP Talent Development Programs Carmen Jean Smith

VP Broadcasting Legal and Business Affairs Jane B. Stewart

VP Synergy and Special Projects Judith Tukich

SVP and General Manager, ABC Kids and Toon Disney Jonathan Barzilay

President, Broadcast Operations and Engineering Preston A. Davis

President, Daytime, Disney-ABC Television Group Brian S. Frons

President, ABC Family Paul Lee

President, ABC-Owned Television Stations Walter C. Liss Jr.

President, ABC Primetime Entertainment Stephen McPherson

President, Hyperion Robert S. (Bob) Miller
Age 50

President, ABC Television Studios Mark Pedowitz

President, Sales and Marketing, ABC Television Network Mike Shaw

President, ABC National Television Sales John Watkins

President, ABC News David Westin

EVP Development and Current Programs, ABC Entertainment Francie Calfo

VP Talent Development and East Coast Programming, ABC Daytime Sue Johnson

SVP Research, ABC Television Network Michael T. Mellon

EVP Drama Development, ABC Primetime Entertainment Suzanne Patmore-Gibbs

VP Current Comedy Kevin Plunkett

SVP Affiliate Relations, ABC Television Network John Rouse

SVP Current Drama Programming, ABC Television Network Kim Rozenfeld

VP Advertising and Marketing, ABC Television Network Darren Schillace

VP Media Relations, ABC Daytime Abbie Schiller

SVP Communications, ABC News Jeffrey W. Schneider

VP Media Strategy, ABC Television Network Gary Shanas

SVP Sales, ABC News Catherine Sullivan

SVP Primetime Sales, ABC Television Network Geri Wang

EVP Business Affairs, ABC Entertainment Jana Winograde

My emails to them so far:

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 1:47 PM
To: 'jzucker@nbc.com'; 'bhogan@nbcnews.com'; 'bhogan@nbc.com'; 'steve.jones@abc.com'; 'robert.garcia@abc.com'; 'andrew.l.kalb@abc.com'; 'james.f.kane@abc.com'; 'peter.salinger@abc.com'; 'joyce.a.alcantara@abc.com'; 'jonathan.m.newman@abc.com'; 'jeffrey.t.fitzgerald@abc.com'; 'heidi.b.oringer@abc.com'; 'wayne.fisk@abc.com'; 'cristi.d.landes@abc.com'; 'seredstone@cbs.com'; 'lmoonves@cbs.com'; 'freynolds@cbs.com'; 'afrank@washingtonpost.com'; 'tascheim@washingtonpost.com'; 'shills@washingtonpost.com'; 'rnewton@latimes.com'
Subject: ABC News coverage Update
Importance: High

Now that Guiliani has dropped out – and you were covering the top 6 candidates – will you assign Steven Portnoy to cover Ron Paul?

It is the day before ˝ the USA votes. It is only in good news practice that you cover each of the candidates.

Thanks,

-Andrew

Andrew Flint
Schneider, Flint & Associates
Headquarters: 4002 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030
Western Region: 3131 East Camelback Road, Suite 200, Phoenix, Arizona 85016
Toll Free: (866) 934-4440

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 6:40 AM
To: 'ABC News Radio'
Cc: 'jzucker@nbc.com'; 'bhogan@nbcnews.com'; 'bhogan@nbc.com'; 'steve.jones@abc.com'; 'robert.garcia@abc.com'; 'andrew.l.kalb@abc.com'; 'james.f.kane@abc.com'; 'peter.salinger@abc.com'; 'joyce.a.alcantara@abc.com'; 'jonathan.m.newman@abc.com'; 'jeffrey.t.fitzgerald@abc.com'; 'heidi.b.oringer@abc.com'; 'wayne.fisk@abc.com'; 'cristi.d.landes@abc.com'; 'seredstone@cbs.com'; 'lmoonves@cbs.com'; 'freynolds@cbs.com'; 'afrank@washingtonpost.com'; 'tascheim@washingtonpost.com'; 'shills@washingtonpost.com'; 'rnewton@latimes.com'
Subject: RE: ABC News coverage of Ron Paul

Thank you for your response. As a concerned voter I ask that ABC cover each of the candidates (Edwards included) equally. This is not the general election and is the time when people should vote on the candidate they feel represents what they believe in. With the majority of the media not giving Dr. Paul equal time, the debates giving him 6 minutes of response time vs 28 minutes for Romney etc. – this all adds up. You have Steven Portnoy covering Giuliani yet Dr. Paul has had more Americans vote for him than Giuliani and has beat Giuliani in every primary / caucus except New Hampshire. Therefore Dr. Paul would rank in your “Top 6” qualifications and Giuliani would not.

Dr. Paul has the strongest national and international grassroots operation of any candidate without any ties to lobbyists. Bear in mind that Dr. Paul has just placed in either 1st or 2nd (appeal files over discrepancies) in Louisiana – beating out Mitt Romney. This means Ron Paul has now beat every other GOP candidate in at least 1 primary / caucus. Huckabee and Giuliani are out of money – and will likely drop out of the race within the next few weeks. Ron Paul has more $ than any other GOP candidate in the bank – although we don’t know how much money Romney has personally dropped into his to date. That will leave Romney, Paul, and McCain as the viable contenders. Dr. Paul’s message of Liberty and Freedom has become a much more than him becoming President, it has become a movement.

Please reconsider ABC – and cover each of the candidates (Paul & Edwards included) equally. The video you sent is an example of the media reporting on Ron Paul in a fashion that discourages voters from taking him seriously. You can help keep the public fully informed on the real differences in the candidates positions, and what they will or will not do while in the white house. You have the influence to make a difference.

Thank you,

-Andrew Flint

Andrew Flint

Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 2:33 PM
Subject: ABC News Radio coverage of Ron Paul

Ron Paul is a fascinating political figure who clearly has galvanized many voters. We have covered him and will continue to cover him as long as he is a candidate.

Click on this link to see a recent report from ABC News – the only organization that has a reporter dedicated to covering Ron Paul:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/player?ip=&affil=wftv&debug=&catId=&id=4166448

Thanks for your interest.

Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:38 PM
To: 'steve.jones@abc.com'; 'robert.garcia@abc.com'; 'andrew.l.kalb@abc.com'; 'james.f.kane@abc.com'; 'peter.salinger@abc.com'; 'joyce.a.alcantara@abc.com'; 'jonathan.m.newman@abc.com'; 'jeffrey.t.fitzgerald@abc.com'; 'heidi.b.oringer@abc.com'; 'wayne.fisk@abc.com'; 'cristi.d.landes@abc.com'
Subject: ABC Radio Super Tuesday Program Coverage

Ladies & Gentlemen of ABC,

I am writing in regard to your internet promoted Super Tuesday program here - http://abcnewsradio.com/08election/advisories/supertuesday.html

I appeal to you that Ron Paul deserves equal time/ coverage. He has greater national support than Giuliani – and Ron Paul has now won in Louisiana, a 2nd place in Nevada, plus has placed higher than Giuliani in every Primary / Caucus except New Hampshire. Ron Paul has now beaten every other GOP candidate in at least one primary / caucus.

I was a Mitt supporter (about $1K last year) up until December when I read up and researched Dr. Paul and the other candidates more thorougly - and switched my support at that point. I found Ron Paul to be the only true conservative, and I define a true conservative as someone who 1) upholds the constitution, 2) believes in smaller government not in my life, 3) less or no income tax, 4) not a nation builder / will bring our troops home.

Fox, CNN, etc - radio, tv, and print media have all cheated the public from being aware of Ron Paul and slighted Ron Paul by simply not including him in a majority of polls, and by not mentioning Dr. Paul in discussion of the presidential candidates and their stand on the issues. Dr. Paul brings the most unique set of qualifications and positions on the issues - differentiating himself from all other rep's and dems. Didn't there used to be a law about equal time for candidates? In spite of this Ron Paul’s grassroots support is stronger than any candidate – even those who get the media attention.

The elderly and those that rely on the main stream media (they don’t do internet research) to keep them informed are being manipulated and cheated out of who in my opinion is the most honest candidate and best qualified to turn around the mess we are in.

By the way - In 1988 - John McCain said that Ron Paul is the most honest man in congress.

Hopefully ABC will stand up and report fair and balanced on the candidates – just like in sports, the news reports on all of the teams and their actual wins – not who is betting on them (ie polls).

Thank you,

-Andrew Flint

Andrew Flint

icon124
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
so wait, they still haven't responded to this yet? If the answer is no...then you know damn well they don't want to do it

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
PS - David Westin appears to be the right guy - calling him now

Yom
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
bump.

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Westin's secretary just called me back - i told her why i called - she said she would pass my comments and concerns along to their editorial department heads

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
ok - here is ABC Radio's HQ -

Steve Jones - 212-456-5101

This is the guy who can do something about it

pacelli
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Watch them do an internet-only report.

BreakYourChains
02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Bump

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Called and LM for Steve Jones - note he is on the list of recipients from the emails

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
dont sleep on this

Chester Copperpot
02-04-2008, 01:36 PM
ok - here is ABC Radio's HQ -

Steve Jones - 212-456-5101

This is the guy who can do something about it

I just called and spoke to a somewhat frazzled secretary... I asked if this was Steve Jone's line she said yes but that he was out of the office..

I said that I was calling because now that Rudy has dropped out would Steve Portnoy be covering Ron Paul instead?

She had no answer.. She wanted to know if I wanted to be transferred but didnt know who I should be transferred to.. I was very calm and nice with her, and I told her 'its no big deal, If Steve Jones isnt the right guy to speak to Id be happy to talk to anybody else."

Then she said that the other people who normally I could talk to about this were all together in a meeting, so I let her off the hook and thanked her for her time.

Obviously, she doesnt know what to do.. But I could tell she got callers before I.. I think we just need to call them more and get the message through.

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I just called and spoke to a somewhat frazzled secretary... I asked if this was Steve Jone's line she said yes but that he was out of the office..

I said that I was calling because now that Rudy has dropped out would Steve Portnoy be covering Ron Paul instead?

She had no answer.. She wanted to know if I wanted to be transferred but didnt know who I should be transferred to.. I was very calm and nice with her, and I told her 'its no big deal, If Steve Jones isnt the right guy to speak to Id be happy to talk to anybody else."

Then she said that the other people who normally I could talk to about this were all together in a meeting, so I let her off the hook and thanked her for her time.

Obviously, she doesnt know what to do.. But I could tell she got callers before I.. I think we just need to call them more and get the message through.

Yep - they were a bit unsure what to do as well when I called - i informed her that Steve was included in the emails past prior to Giuliani dropping and then todays email

Matt Collins
02-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Here is the ABC "coverage plan" for Super Tuesday from their secret website:
http://abcnewsradio.com/08election/advisories/supertuesday.html

Notice their coverage plan doesn't include Ron Paul but does include the others.

Let them know what you think:

http://abcnewsradio.com/contact.html

NEW YORK NEWSROOM:
(212) 456-5100
newsradio@abc.com

Newsroom Fax Machine :D

Cristi Landes
Manager, Programming
cristi.d.landes@abc.com

Wayne Fisk
Director, Programming
wayne.fisk@abc.com

Jeff Fitzgerald
Executive Director, Operations
jeffrey.t.fitzgerald@abc.com

Heidi Oringer
Executive Director, Entertainment
heidi.b.oringer@abc.com

Jon Newman
News Coverage
jonathan.m.newman@abc.com

Joyce Alcantara
Assignment Manager
joyce.a.alcantara@abc.com

Jim Kane
Deputy D.C. Bureau Chief
202.222. 6604
james.f.kane@abc.com

Andrew Kalb
Executive Director, Programming
andrew.l.kalb@abc.com

Robert Garcia
Executive Director, News & Sports
robert.garcia@abc.com

Peter Salinger (THE MAN IN CHARGE OF ELECTION COVERAGE)
Director, Special Events & Sports
peter.salinger@abc.com

Steve Jones
Vice President ABC NEWS RADIO
212-456-5101
steve.jones@abc.com

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Keep calling them - dont let up on this -

dawnbt
02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
I emailed them last week regarding this and never got a response.

slabjacker21
02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately what the MSM is doing is legal. Due to a loophole in the Federal Communications Act of 1934 section 315 the MSM can claim that they do not have to cover Ron Paul. Check out the Act at this link: http://www.fcc.gov/Reports/1934new.pdf. This link explains that Congress created 4 exemptions in 1959: http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/E/htmlE/equaltimeru/equaltimeru.htm.
The explanation is: "Congress stressed that the public interest would be served by allowing stations the freedom to cover the activities of candidates without worrying that any story about a candidate, no matter how tangentially related to his or her candidacy, would require equal time." Kuchinich tried to use this when he complained about being left out of the CNN debate. The FCC denied his complaint due to the debate falling into one
of the exemptions. I am not saying that we should not complain but we also have to contact our congressman/congresswoman to try and get this changed.

CareerTech1
02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
EQUAL TIME RULE

U.S. Broadcasting Regulatory Rule

It is the closest thing in broadcast content regulation to the "golden rule." The equal time, or more accurately, the equal opportunity provision of the Communications Act requires radio and television stations and cable systems which originate their own programming to treat legally qualified political candidates equally when it comes to selling or giving away air time. Simply put, a station which sells or gives one minute to Candidate A must sell or give the same amount of time with the same audience potential to all other candidates for the particular office. However, a candidate who can not afford time does not receive free time unless his or her opponent is also given free time. Thus, even with the equal time law, a well funded campaign has a significant advantage in terms of broadcast exposure for the candidate.

The equal opportunity requirement dates back to the first major broadcasting law in the United States, the Radio Act of 1927. Legislators were concerned that without mandated equal opportunity for candidates, some broadcasters might try to manipulate elections. As one congressman put it, "American politics will be largely at the mercy of those who operate these stations." When the Radio Act was superseded by the Communications Act of 1934, the equal time provision became Section 315 of the new statute.

A major amendment to Section 315 came in 1959 following a controversial Federal Communications Commission (FCC) interpretation of the equal time provision. Lar Daly, who had run for a variety of public offices, sometimes campaigning dressed as Uncle Sam, was running for mayor of Chicago. Daly demanded free air time from Chicago television stations in response to the stations' news coverage of incumbent mayor Richard Daley. Although the airtime given to Mayor Daley was not directly related to his re-election campaign, the FCC ruled that his appearance triggered the equal opportunity provision of Section 315. Broadcasters interpreted the FCC's decision as now requiring equal time for a candidate anytime another candidate appeared on the air, even if the appearance was not linked to the election campaign.

Congress reacted quickly by creating four exemptions to the equal opportunity law. Stations who gave time to candidates on regularly scheduled newscasts, news interviews shows, documentaries (assuming the candidate wasn't the primary focus of the documentary), or on-the-spot news events would not have to offer equal time to other candidates for that office. In creating these exemptions, Congress stressed that the public interest would be served by allowing stations the freedom to cover the activities of candidates without worrying that any story about a candidate, no matter how tangentially related to his or her candidacy, would require equal time. The exemptions to Section 315 have also served the interests of incumbent candidates, since by virtue of their incumbency they often generate more news coverage then their challengers.

Since 1959, the FCC has provided a number of interpretations to Section 315's exemptions. Presidential press conferences have been labeled on-the-spot news, even if the president uses his remarks to bolster his campaign. Since the 1970s, debates have also been considered on-the-spot news events and therefore exempt from the equal time law. This has enabled stations or other parties arranging the debates to choose which candidates to include in a debate. Before this ruling by the FCC, Congress voted to suspend Section 315 during the 1960 presidential campaign to allow Richard Nixon and John Kennedy to engage in a series of debates without the participation of third party candidates. The FCC has also labeled shows such as The Phil Donahue Show and Good Morning America news interview programs. However, appearances by candidates in shows which do not fit under the four exempt formats will trigger the equal opportunities provision, even if the appearance is irrelevant to the campaign. Therefore, during Ronald Reagan's political campaigns, if a station aired one of his films, it would have been required to offer equal time to Mr. Reagan's opponents.

Section 315 also prohibits a station from censoring what a candidate says when he or she appears on the air (unless it is in one of the exempt formats). Thus, a few years ago when a self-avowed segregationist was running for the governorship of Georgia, the FCC rejected citizen complaints over the candidate's use in his ads of derogatory language towards African-Americans. More recently, the FCC has also rejected attempts to censor candidate ads depicting aborted fetuses. However, the Commission has permitted stations to channel such ads to times of day when children are less likely to be in the audience.

The equal opportunity law does not demand that a station afford a state or local candidate any air time. However, under the public interest standard of the Communications Act, the FCC has said that stations should make time available for candidates for major state and local offices. With regard to federal candidates, broadcast stations have much less discretion. A 1971 amendment to the Communications Act requires stations make a reasonable amount of time available to federal candidates. Once time is made available under this provision, the equal time requirements of Section 315 apply.

The 1971 amendments also addressed the rates which stations can charge candidates for air time. Before 1971, Congress only required that the rates charged candidates be comparable to those offered to commercial advertisers. Now, Section 315 commands that as the election approaches, stations must offer candidates the rate it offers its most favored advertiser. Thus, if a station gives a discount to a commercial sponsor because it buys a great deal of air time, the station must offer the same discount to any candidate regardless of how much time he or she purchases.

-Howard Klieman

FURTHER READING

Donahue, Hugh Carter. The Battle to Control Broadcast News: Who Owns the First Amendment? Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, 1989.

Rowan, Ford. Broadcast Fairness: Doctrine, Practice, Prospects: A Reappraisal of the Fairness Doctrine and Equal Time Rule. New York: Longman, 1984.

Lord Xar
02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
bump

Alabama Supporter
02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I called. Steve is answering and forwarding us to voicemail.

the_bee
02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
:mad:and emailing right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azzuth
02-04-2008, 05:20 PM
will call/email after i am off work.

ziggrl
02-04-2008, 05:23 PM
bump