PDA

View Full Version : ron paul and poverty

Cinderella
02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
does anyone know where he stands on poverty?? and what will he do to fix the problem???

i have had a few people ask me about this....they say when they look him up it doesnt say what he would do about poverty

pdavis
02-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Stop inflation. Lower taxes.

hillertexas
02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_Paul_Welfare_+_Poverty.htm

hillertexas
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Ron Paul, on poverty in America - video
http://www.qubetv.tv/videos/detail/2630

hillertexas
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Ron Paul World Bank and Poverty Speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQruuwuJnKE

davidkachel
02-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Poverty is caused by government, both tyrannical and well-meaning. Remove government and poverty drops to a minimum.

hillertexas
02-04-2008, 10:26 AM
http://causeoffreedom.blogspot.com/2008/01/100-ending-poverty.html

#100 - Ending Poverty?
Here I am watching the democratic debate and hearing them talk about ending poverty. It just goes to show me my days on the left were so misguided, when I hear unrealistic talk like this that fills people in desperate need with hope with unreal and high expectations for tomorrow. I'm glad I've changed and embraced the constitution, liberty, and free market economics.

In a great nation with a sound economy, poverty will still exist due to small group of people who are unable to be productive or choose to not to be productive in society. In a sound economy, the number of those in poverty would be minimal and small enough that non-profit and charitable organizations can lend them a hand. The problem is, due to having a weakening economy, a weakening currency, and an inflating government the number of those in poverty has swelled beyond the numbers that these entities can handle.

In conditions like these it's natural for those suffering to ask government for help, not realizing it's government that has shaped the environment for such conditions destructing the natural order. It's only through having empathy for our struggling brethren and embracing our differences and attempting to educate them on the reality of the growing level of poverty due to government intervention that we can create the coalition to create the change we need.

So as long as we keep the economic environment unstable and unhealthy with government intervention like a FIAT money supply, a welfare state, regulations, and unfair taxes there will be no restoration of the economic order and continual downward spiral. It's these types of policies that increase inflation, kill small business and jobs, and drains those already struggling to fund social programs for this growing deficit of prosperity.

It's this unstable and unfair economic system that drains citizens of the nation and places blame on the people from other nation competing for scraps of a broken economic system. A sound economic system would not only grow to make room for our citizens and those of other nation, but increase the prosperity of other nations so they don't have to leave their homes and families just to survive.

Yet the cycle repeats due to a lack of understanding, due to a dangerously ineffective and expensive education system which continues to dumbing down of coming generations while becoming a bigger drain on the economy while just repeating the cycle. This cycle can't be broken if we don't understand the one thing that ties everything together is the economy, and that it's by letting the economy heal naturally and restore itself to it's natural state that we will ever see a hope for tomorrow.

The longer we wait to let this economic wound heal, the longer it will take to heal. It's time we fight to get the government out of this wound and stop the government from expanding it. The economy is function of the people, not the government. When the economy is taken away from the people it brings poverty and a divided nation.

hillertexas
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul260.html

What Should America Do For Africa?

by Rep. Ron Paul, MD

At the G8 summit in Scotland last week, we heard once again how the wealthy nations of the world have not done enough to raise Africa out of poverty. At the Live 8 music festival that preceded it, we heard angry demands for “Justice, Not Charity” in Africa. Implicit in such demands is the collectivist fallacy that wealth is a zero sum game, and therefore western prosperity is possible only at the expense of African misery. As usual, Americans and other western nations are portrayed as villains who somehow conspire to keep Africa poor.

The White House attempted to quell criticism that America is not doing enough to save Africa by announcing that the U.S. would double its economic aid to the continent, from $4.3 billion to $8.6 billion, over the next few years. Neither Congress nor the American people were consulted prior to this pronouncement, I might add. I think the public might not share the administration’s generous mood, especially as we spend billions in Iraq and face single year deficits of $500 billion. Frankly, a federal government with nearly $8 trillion in debt has no business giving money to anybody.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair went a step further, promising that the G8 nations will provide $50 billion in economic aid to Africa by 2010, along with canceling hundreds of millions in debt owed to taxpayers of several western governments. But why should foreign leaders have any say over how American tax dollars are spent? Is our annual federal budget now subject to foreign scrutiny and approval? America is an incredibly charitable nation, as evidenced by the hundreds of millions of dollars donated by private citizens for tsunami relief last year. We don’t need lectures or guidance from the world when it comes to foreign aid.

African poverty is rooted in government corruption, corruption that actually is fostered by western aid. We should ask ourselves a simple question: Why is private capital so scarce in Africa? The obvious answer is that many African nations are ruled by terrible men who pursue disastrous economic policies. As a result, American aid simply enriches dictators, distorts economies, and props up bad governments. We could send Africa $1 trillion, and the continent still would remain mired in poverty simply because so many of its nations reject property rights, free markets, and the rule of law.

As commentator Joseph Potts explains, western money enables dictators like Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe to gain and hold power without the support of his nation’s people. African rulers learn to manipulate foreign governments and obtain an independent source of income, which makes them far richer and more powerful than any of their political rivals. Once comfortably in power, and much to the horror of the western governments that funded them, African dictators find their subjects quite helpless and dependent. Potts describes this process as giving African politicians the “power to impoverish.” The bottom line is that despite decades of western aid, more Africans than ever are living in extreme poverty. Foreign aid simply doesn’t work.

Despite this reality, western political leaders who offer to increase aid are always praised for their compassionate and progressive policies. But what about the people who are suffering here at home, whether from hunger, illness, or poverty? Are their lives and well being less important? Where is the constitutional provision allowing American tax dollars to be sent overseas?

The president is promising money we don’t have to solve a problem we didn’t cause. Americans have the freedom to do everything in their power to alleviate African suffering, whether by donating money or working directly in impoverished nations. But government-to-government foreign aid doesn’t work, and it never has. We should stop kidding ourselves and ignore the emotionalist pleas of rock stars. Suffering in Africa cannot be helped by delusional, feel-good government policies.

July 12, 2005

LukeNM
02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
In the not so distant past, people would donate to churches and other charities and they would use those donations to help the poor and needy. There was much better control of the money and those that really needed the help in a community got it not just whoever signed up. The government does a very poor job of redistributing wealth.

Cinderella
02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
hillertexas to the rescue!!!! thanks very much!!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

hillertexas
02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2008-presidential-candidates/issues/candidates/ron-paul/

SHOULD THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAVE A ROLE IN SEEKING AN END TO POVERTY? WHAT WOULD YOU DO, SPECIFICALLY, TO DEAL WITH POVERTY?
The misguided federal 'War on Poverty' has proven disastrous to our nation. Federal intervention only resulted in more poverty, as the welfare rolls grew while employment shrank and mothers were encouraged to have children out-of-wedlock because the more children they had, the bigger the check they got from the federal government. I propose getting the federal government out of the way of private charities and institutions that wish to deal with the impoverished, and I want to end federal regulations and subsidies that restrict businesses, discourage renovation and expansion, and further the plight of the poor. Eliminating many taxes and regulations will allow businesses to hire more workers, and make it easier for impoverished areas to be renovated with private and corporate money. True compassionate conservatism means letting individuals, churches, and other groups, not indifferent federal bureaucracies, provide help.

hillertexas
02-04-2008, 10:38 AM
hillertexas to the rescue!!!! thanks very much!!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

:) No problem.

Cinderella
02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Quote:
SHOULD THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAVE A ROLE IN SEEKING AN END TO POVERTY? WHAT WOULD YOU DO, SPECIFICALLY, TO DEAL WITH POVERTY?
The misguided federal 'War on Poverty' has proven disastrous to our nation. Federal intervention only resulted in more poverty, as the welfare rolls grew while employment shrank and mothers were encouraged to have children out-of-wedlock because the more children they had, the bigger the check they got from the federal government. I propose getting the federal government out of the way of private charities and institutions that wish to deal with the impoverished, and I want to end federal regulations and subsidies that restrict businesses, discourage renovation and expansion, and further the plight of the poor. Eliminating many taxes and regulations will allow businesses to hire more workers, and make it easier for impoverished areas to be renovated with private and corporate money. True compassionate conservatism means letting individuals, churches, and other groups, not indifferent federal bureaucracies, provide help.

great quote!! thanks

qh4dotcom
02-04-2008, 11:25 AM
The poor will be much better off if the government stops wasting their taxpayer dollars in wars.

Ron Paul wants no more IRS headaches for the poor as well.