PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else notice people waking up during RP's segment?

El Davicho
02-04-2008, 09:01 AM
It may just be my optimism and glee that Ron was able to talk freely. There was a point during his speech where the camera panned the audience and instead of the glazed over, zombie like, vacant expressions I saw through Huck, Clinton and some of Obama's time, I could actually visually see an awakening.

When he talks about the idea that government should NOT be giving away healthcare and things like that, and instead they should give people the sound money and freedom they need to obtain these things themselves it's like witnessing an epiphany for some. Especially young people...even myself, before RP, I thought universal healthcare was the only way to go. Then I realized, the only reason we need it is because the Gov. has gotten us used to being babied and micro-managed. We EXPECT it now...until we learn how wrong it is and the road it leads us on.

Anyway, it's just something I noticed. I wish I had a video, but it really was a visual thing...you could just see light bulbs over there heads.

zach
02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I remember on one of the pans that the kids were smiling and looking very happy.
They seemed receptive at the least.

pacelli
02-04-2008, 10:43 AM
That is because Ron Paul is the only candidate that has a plan for peace and hope that this country can be changed from it's war-profiteering ways.

Patronus
02-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I tried watching the Obama segment yesterday, and I nearly fell asleep.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=27492939

Lisa S
02-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I noticed it too. It's like they were in class and learning something new and exciting. Unfortunately, Obama had to follow and break the spell for most of them. People really are sheep for the most part.

specsaregood
02-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Let me get this straight.

Obama Supports a period of mandatory public service for American youth.
The Illinois Senator proposes a national-service program that would engage disadvantaged youth in energy-efficiency and environmental work in their communities so that they could gain practical skills.

And the youth are supposed to support this sucker? You own me? This is no different than a draft. MANDATORY national service? Which youth in their right mind would vote for that.

mczerone
02-04-2008, 11:29 AM

The Illinois Senator proposes a national-service program that would engage disadvantaged youth in energy-efficiency and environmental work in their communities so that they could gain practical skills.

And the youth are supposed to support this sucker? You own me? This is no different than a draft. MANDATORY national service? Which youth in their right mind would vote for that.

Why doesn't Obama and the rest get that we know these are good things - gaining practical skills, and all, but (1) it is not the government's role (at least not federally - this sounds like a great community project), and (2) just as in the economics of advertising - there is a law of diminishing returns - the more adamant the government is in enforcing these rules, eventually more and more people start to just do the opposite, despite their best interests.

Broadlighter
02-05-2008, 01:59 AM
I remember Christopher Dodd proposing this inane idea, but I didn't know Obama did, too.

I think the appeal to some youth is, they would have some place to go after school where they wouldn't have to compete in the job market. At some point they'll graduate from the program and have to compete in the real world anyway, either that or become cogs in the big government wheel for life.

What they don't understand is that this is a form of coercion. It's just like universal health care. These programs are mandatory and therefore coercive. They legitimize the notion that coercive government is good and freedom is dangerous.

At some point they will complain about how impersonal and insensitive the bureacracies these programs create are and believe that they just have to make them friendlier. They don't grasp the Yin-Yang like relationship between state power and individual freedom.

Forget about the question of whether we really need these programs.

I'm not opposed to voluntary civil service for say park management, but mandatory civil service just opens the door to more oppression.

Here's an argument to make with people who think Obama's idea is cool: Let's say Obama becomes President and initiates this program. Four years later the people elect a Republican president. How would you feel about a Republican administration taking charge of this mandatory civil service program?

My point: If you don't trust your political opponents to take charge of your candidate's program, perhaps the program isn't such a good idea.

tommyzDad
02-05-2008, 07:36 AM

Shoes for Industry, Comrade. Shoes for Industry. Or maybe Der Obama Jugen (Forgive my sad attempt at German.)