PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunately, my party change request was denied...

Starks
02-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I had postmarked well before the deadline in Maryland and I am simply dumbfounded as to why my request was denied.

At any rate, in the eyes of the Maryland Department of State, I'm still registered as a Democrat.

Should I exercise my right to vote by choosing Obama in the primary on the 12th?

MRoCkEd
02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
no

Sandra
02-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't think they can deny your decision to change your party.

LibertyEagle
02-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I had postmarked well before the deadline in Maryland and I am simply dumbfounded as to why my request was denied.

At any rate, in the eyes of the Maryland Department of State, I'm still registered as a Democrat.

Should I exercise my right to vote by choosing Obama in the primary on the 12th?

Call them and raise heck about them denying you. If in fact you sent it in well in advance, this is BS.

Starks
02-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Why not? It'll be either Obama or Hillary in the general election. As an Independent, I have a vested interest in making sure Hillary doesn't get the nod.

Royksopp
02-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Make sure you get out and spread the Ron Paul message then.

You might be lucky enough to find a Democrat who is stuck as a registered Republican- so then you could simply vote for their choice, and they vote for Paul for you.

nodope0695
02-04-2008, 08:26 AM
As long as your letter was postmarked before the deadline, you should be good to go. I'd raise hell about it. Who the hell are they to "deny" you right to choose your party?

Starks
02-04-2008, 08:33 AM
In all honesty, I had cut it dangerously close with regard to the postmarking.

Dorfsmith
02-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I have a friend in CA who asked last night if it was too late for him to get an absentee because he is out of state for the week. :rolleyes: I yelled at him and told him that since he won't be voting he had better make up for it and get some other votes.

KewlRonduderules
02-04-2008, 08:41 AM
In all honesty, I had cut it dangerously close with regard to the postmarking.

As long as it was postmarked by the deadline, there shouldn't be a problem. I'd complain.

Redcard
02-04-2008, 08:41 AM
So wait.. you were "Well before the deadline" in your first post, then "cut it dangerously close" with your later post.

Be honest, given that most state election offices say a 3 to 5 business day turnaround.. and that they are often closed on non business days.. how close were you?

Chester Copperpot
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Why not? It'll be either Obama or Hillary in the general election. As an Independent, I have a vested interest in making sure Hillary doesn't get the nod.

If you are an independent you should be able to show up on primary day and declare your affiliation there. Thats what Im doing In New Jersey. Ive already confirmed it wih the board of elections

Mr. White
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Either it was postmarked correctly or not. If it was, contact your supervisor of elections and get an explanation. If you want to vote for Obam, do so. We don't need a half-assed post masquerading as a springboard when all you want is 'permission.'

Normally I'd be polite, but given the number of posts you've made and your join date, I frankly don't give a damn. You were aware of what you needed to do. If you did, take what's yours, if not, we aren't your mamma.

Starks
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
If you are an independent you should be able to show up on primary day and declare your affiliation there. Thats what Im doing In New Jersey. Ive already confirmed it wih the board of elections

As far as I know, Maryland is closed to Independents.

Starks
02-04-2008, 08:48 AM
To compound my situation, I'm not even 100% sure about my party affiliation.

I voted Democrat in the 2006 election and my memory of whether I checked of "Democrat" or "Independent" on the voter card is extremely hazy.

cswake
02-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Write Paul in on the Democratic ticket. :)

LibertyEagle
02-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Why did you wait so late, Starks? This was like the most important thing you had to do in this campaign. Make sure you were registered correctly, so that you could vote for Ron Paul.

Royksopp
02-04-2008, 08:55 AM

wont count for anything.

slamhead
02-04-2008, 08:56 AM

No..ask for a provisional ballot and make sure your vote is counted.

Quick
02-04-2008, 08:58 AM
I've vote for Obama if I couldn't vote for Ron Paul.

Not because I think Obama would be the best choice for the country, I believe he is the best choice out of the people who are running (excluding Paul, of course).

m72mc
02-04-2008, 09:00 AM

exercise your right to register as a republican

ronpaulyourmom
I would be protest voting on whatever ballot I could. I would not be voting for Obama. Strategically speaking if Ron runs Independent we sort of want Hillary to be in the game. But if he doesn't run then we're faced with Hillary and McCain? ugh...

Tough choice dude, I donno, gl.

bulloncoins
Oh great......another lost vote......thanks.

Richie
02-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I sent you a PM that might help.

Starks
02-04-2008, 09:17 AM

I forgot about write-ins... :rolleyes:

LibertyEagle
02-04-2008, 09:19 AM

If this is true, why are you giving up so easily? :confused: At least call them and contest this.

JeffersonAndLiberty
02-04-2008, 09:22 AM
I forgot about write-ins... :rolleyes:

You can't write-in a Republican on a Democratic ballot.

cswake
02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I forgot about write-ins... :rolleyes:Why the sarcasm? Didn't see you mention it in the op...

Starks
02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
You can't write-in a Republican on a Democratic ballot.

Why not? As far as I understand legally, a write-in can be anyone, regardless of party of affiliation.

JeffersonAndLiberty
02-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Why not? As far as I understand legally, a write-in can be anyone, regardless of party of affiliation.

I thought you said it was a closed primary... These are the 4 parties recognized by Maryland, there are no Independents, and the registration to change was last November. If you are still a registered Dem and your primary IS closed, then you cannot vote in the Primary... You can try if you want.

# Democratic Party
(National website | Maryland website)
# Republican Party
# Green Party
# Libertarian Party

homah
02-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Even if this is true, it will be a vote for him to be the democratic nominee.

Starks
02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Even if this is true, it will be a vote for him to be the democratic nominee.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing...

JeffersonAndLiberty
02-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, it is closed... You have until 2/12 though. If you can convert as many people as possible by canvassing or becoming a precinct captain you can turn this into a positive. You can vote in the primary but only for a Democrat. If you got your registration postmarked before the November deadline, I'd absolutely fight it, get the SOS on the horn and light him up.

cswake
02-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Paul is the best candidate for all Americans - democrat or republican. If your voice can't count, I'd say take a chance and send a message to the establishment. :)

Redcard
02-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm a little curious, Starks.. you've changed your story a few times here.

First, you registered as a Republican in plenty of time.

Then, you said you really kinda cut it close.

Then, you said you couldn't remember if you were a democrat or an independant.

Let's be honest here, you missed the deadline, didn't you? Filing a provisional ballot will do you no good, because you forgot to do the most important part of this whole thing.

Just.. be honest. Don't lie. If you forgot, that sucks, but you need to be going out and getting people to vote to make up for it.