PDA

View Full Version : Maine People.....

andrewk78
02-04-2008, 01:32 AM
For those of us who have never been in the primaries/caucuses we need a lowdown on everything. I do not want to go into this blind on tuesday.

Some one please please please write out a step by step of the process and warn us of what we need to be looking out for.
If delegate slots are open how do we fill them, how to know who to vote for ect ect.

I know I should have been more informed, I have been canvasing, I have been getting the word out, but I am caught completely with my pants down here. I have no idea what to expect. I need to know what to do and when.

I am going to asking this in my state specific forum also, but a lot of people are looking here now so if another thread could be started with instructions that wold be AWESOME!!!

MrCobaltBlue
02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
If you're in a Caucus state here are a few things you'll want to do:

If they go with "Rober's rules of order" make a motion to have 1 volunteer from each campaign to watch the counting of the ballots. (Make sure to word it specifically such as "I make a motion to allow 1 volunteer from each Presidential Campaign to observe counting of the ballots for the Presidential Preference Poll and the Delegate Voting.") and make sure to have someone second it.

Beforehand delegate a Ron Paul supporter (usually a Precinct Leader or someone who's good at leadership.) to be the Delegate Chairperson. This is VERY IMPORTANT because the Delegate Chairperson gets to fill out and choose alternative spots if not all the delegates have been decided or cannot show. Make sure to have someone second it, and if they do the "aye" and "nay" and it sounds mixed make a motion to do a standing vote.

Remember to be quick, after about 20 minutes of argument about the volunteer for each campaign the Caucus Chairperson got upset and started to rush through, not looking over for nominations. Be aware that your local GOP will have insiders to fill the positions and want to set their own rules.

Also what we did in Portland was we gave potential delegates 30 seconds to speak as to why they want to be a delegate. Make sure you state you're a Ron Paul supporter and ONLY vote for fellow Ron Paul supporters. This is where it gets tricky, a lot of Romney people were like "I support the 2nd amendment and the Constitution." also gather during the voting of the delegates to confirm with other Ron Paul supporters who to vote for so you all vote for the exact same people.

Cleaner44
02-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I suggest people use the donor search to find Ron Paul allies in their precinct.

http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/neighbors.php

bkreigh
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Most important are delegates. In our town the first to say they wanted to be a delegate were it. Once our 13 filled up the rest were alternates. WHEN THEY ASK WHO WANTS TO BE A DELEGATE, MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK UP FIRST! Now this should NOT be the way it works. You should vote on the delegates. But if your town is not familiar with rules then you could scam all the delegates. If you noticed that the RP are not the delegates but put in the alternate position make sure to speak up and say this is wrong. We should vote on these. If its the other way around keep your damn mouth shut! :D