PDA

View Full Version : Why the Internet is Ron Paul's ally

Melchior
05-24-2007, 12:06 AM
I just thought this was interesting. Ron Paul has a lot of support on the Internet, it is his main base. But the explanation for why is provided in a description of the average person who uses the Internet, and the culture that sustains it:

"Where freedom is rarely mentioned in mainstream media anymore, it is ferociously defended -- and exercised daily -- on the Net. ...Where our existing political institutions are viewed as remote and unresponsive, this online culture offers the means for individuals to have a genuine say in the decisions that affect their lives. Where conventional politics is suffused with ideology, the digital world is obsessed with facts."

Katz went on to discuss "Netizens" in detail: "[S]ome of their common values are clear: they tend to be libertarian, materialistic, tolerant, rational, technologically adept, disconnected from conventional political organizations [and] narrow labels like liberal or conservative. They are not politically correct, rejecting dogma in favor of sorting through issues individually, preferring discussions to platforms."

more... (http://www.theadvocates.org/celebrities/internet-users.html)

Brandybuck
05-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Ack! A Jon Katz quote! Now I must wash my eyes out!

Anway... Why do libertarians and the internet attract? Because the internet is a minarchist libertarian society in action. Except for some government funding to install some of the infrastructure, the internet is almost completely free of government interference. There are no cops, no judges, no regulatory bureaucrats. All of the order one sees on the net arose from the free interaction of individuals.

TheDuke
05-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Luckily we live in the country with the highest internet connection rate then :)