PDA

View Full Version : Press picking up RP's Northern Maine sweep

SteveMartin
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Ron Paul Sweeps Northern Maine Caucuses

Fort Fairfield Journal l February 3, 2008

Texas Congressman Dr. Ron Paul scored a stunning upset win over all three of his opponents
in the Aroostook County Presidential Preference Survey during the weekend caucuses just
concluded. It also would appear that Dr. Paul's supporters won the lion's share of the
delegate seats to the Maine Republican Convention in early May from the county.

There were 3 undecided voters in Aroostook County with regard to the presidential
preference. This vote is a non-binding survey merely intended to indicate Maine
Republicans' preference for President. Delegates were also selected for many towns to the
Republican State Convention.

Aroostook County volunteer coordinator of the Ron Paul 2008 effort, and Vice-chairman of
the county Republicans, Steve Martin of Amity, had this to say about the upset results.
"I love Aroostook County people. They are the most independent-minded and
deeply-considerate folks in Maine. It is clear that Dr. Paul's message of reduced
government, lower taxes, personal liberties and non-interference in the internal matters
of other nations struck a cord here in Aroostook County. Dr. Paul's opposition to a
Northern Maine National Park coupled with his deep respect for private property and gun
rights also played a part in sweeping all three caucus locations."

The county Republicans will be meeting again for their regular monthly meetings at the
Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center on Saturday morning, February 16th at 9:00 AM.

With all Aroostook towns reporting, the results were as follows for Aroostook's 3 caucus
locations:

Fort Kent:
Ron Paul 3
Mitt Romney 2
Mike Huckabee 2
John McCain 1

Houlton:
Ron Paul 16
Mitt Romney 11
Mike Huckabee 8
John McCain 4

Presque Isle:
Ron Paul 29
Mitt Romney 27
John McCain 17
Mike Huckabee 16

Aroostook County totals with percentages:

Ron Paul: 48 votes 34.5%
Mitt Romney 40 votes 28.8%
Mike Huckabee 26 votes 18.7%
John McCain 22 votes 15.8%
Undecided 3 votes 2.1%
---------------------------------------------------------

AROOSTOOK COUNTY LOVES RON PAUL!!!!

Hook
02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Won the most delegates all over, or just in this county?

AlexMerced
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Won the most delegates all over, or just in this county?

that's what I'm wondering

[Admin: removed off topic info]

SophisticatedFarmGirl
02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Steve Martin, we also love the Aroostook County people! Great interview in the paper.

SteveMartin
02-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Just Aroostook County, but that is the entire norther 3rd of the state.

Delegate counts have not been confirmed, but the proportion should be AT LEAST as good as the straw poll results reported above.

SFG,

How do you know about good ol Aroostook County?

SteveMartin
02-04-2008, 04:26 AM
I'm going to try to get AP to pick this up...Wish it were a whole state, but a third of a state (and largest county east of the Mississippi) is a start...

Sarge
02-04-2008, 05:16 AM
MY OH MY,

You mean CNN and all the other media showing Mitt with all the delegates is wrong? I just guess I will not have to believe them any longer.

Thank you for getting the real word out.

Great work all.

freedom-maniac
02-04-2008, 05:48 AM
MY OH MY,

You mean CNN and all the other media showing Mitt with all the delegates is wrong? I just guess I will not have to believe them any longer.

Thank you for getting the real word out.

Great work all.

CNN shows what delegates they assume the candidates will get. CNN's too stupid to actually do some real reporting.

SteveMartin
02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
bump

Gtex
02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Man, very nice indeed.

Paul Revered
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I just posted the OP on MySpace. I'm confused . What does this mean exactly?

SteveMartin
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
It means the whole northern third of the state (land-area wise, but only 1/15th population-wise) was dominated by Ron Paul. We won both the preference poll AND the delegate count. The campaign also issued a PR today telling everyone we were a close 2nd to Romney, if not first, in delegate count STATEWIDE!

CowCat33
02-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Dang, I wish Maine had weather like Florida...I'd move there. Heck, all RP supporters should move there! Unfortunately the cold causes me so much pain :mad:

literatim
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Dang, I wish Maine had weather like Florida...I'd move there. Heck, all RP supporters should move there! Unfortunately the cold causes me so much pain :mad:

People get used to any environment that they live in long enough.

SteveMartin
02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Cheapest real estate prices in America are up here too.

Bought a 4-BR house on almost an acre for $33,700 in 1996, and paid it off in 6 years.

It's not how much you make. It's how much you have left over after the bills are paid.

Great place to be when/if TSHTF too!

Paul Revered
02-04-2008, 10:12 PM
It means the whole northern third of the state (land-area wise, but only 1/15th population-wise) was dominated by Ron Paul. We won both the preference poll AND the delegate count. The campaign also issued a PR today telling everyone we were a close 2nd to Romney, if not first, in delegate count STATEWIDE!
How many delegates so far?

Paul Revered
02-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Bump for anxiety attack.

CGMike
02-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Bump for The County! Even us southerners (mainely speaking) love "The County"

Jodi
02-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Whats the deal here then?????
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/ME-R.phtml
Maybe just not updated???

Crickett
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Ron Paul Sweeps Northern Maine Caucuses

Fort Fairfield Journal l February 3, 2008

Texas Congressman Dr. Ron Paul scored a stunning upset win over all three of his opponents
in the Aroostook County Presidential Preference Survey during the weekend caucuses just
concluded. It also would appear that Dr. Paul's supporters won the lion's share of the
delegate seats to the Maine Republican Convention in early May from the county.

There were 3 undecided voters in Aroostook County with regard to the presidential
preference. This vote is a non-binding survey merely intended to indicate Maine
Republicans' preference for President. Delegates were also selected for many towns to the
Republican State Convention.

Aroostook County volunteer coordinator of the Ron Paul 2008 effort, and Vice-chairman of
the county Republicans, Steve Martin of Amity, had this to say about the upset results.
"I love Aroostook County people. They are the most independent-minded and
deeply-considerate folks in Maine. It is clear that Dr. Paul's message of reduced
government, lower taxes, personal liberties and non-interference in the internal matters
of other nations struck a cord here in Aroostook County. Dr. Paul's opposition to a
Northern Maine National Park coupled with his deep respect for private property and gun
rights also played a part in sweeping all three caucus locations."

The county Republicans will be meeting again for their regular monthly meetings at the
Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center on Saturday morning, February 16th at 9:00 AM.

With all Aroostook towns reporting, the results were as follows for Aroostook's 3 caucus
locations:

Fort Kent:
Ron Paul 3
Mitt Romney 2
Mike Huckabee 2
John McCain 1

Houlton:
Ron Paul 16
Mitt Romney 11
Mike Huckabee 8
John McCain 4

Presque Isle:
Ron Paul 29
Mitt Romney 27
John McCain 17
Mike Huckabee 16

Aroostook County totals with percentages:

Ron Paul: 48 votes 34.5%
Mitt Romney 40 votes 28.8%
Mike Huckabee 26 votes 18.7%
John McCain 22 votes 15.8%
Undecided 3 votes 2.1%
---------------------------------------------------------

AROOSTOOK COUNTY LOVES RON PAUL!!!!

That is wonderful!!! No other candidates even mentioned til the end..I loved it! WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crickett
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know...my understanding is that we got 35% delegates in the state!

Jodi
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok I see the diff is between the soft and hard counts.

driller80545
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Looks like beautiful country from pictures.

doronster195
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Ok... so did we win in Maine or not?

CowCat33
02-05-2008, 07:05 PM
People get used to any environment that they live in long enough.

I lived in Pittsburgh almost my whole life (30 years). My health got worse and worse from the cold. That's why I moved 3 years ago.

UK4Paul
02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks Steve. Great stuff.

Laja
02-05-2008, 07:18 PM
There's no state income tax where I live. Do you have one in Maine?