PDA

View Full Version : Should we try to save the GOP?

thompsonisland
02-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I am really struggling with whether the Republican party is the right place, long term, to keep this movement. My experience at the caucus this weekend disturbed me. As long as so many in the party are committed to legislating behavior, as long as they proudly refer to themselves as "The Party of Lincoln," I just can't get on board. The institutionalized Libertarians are no better, having embraced libertine and antisocial behavior, and Keynes. Most of the old guard are fundamentally committed to things like The War on Drugs.

What do you think? Is this where we belong? Can it be fixed? Can we overcome the philosophical and psychic obstacles of "The Stupid Party"?

kill the banks
02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
... it is the only way that will work in the system ... we must take control of gop and commit to that end

kill the banks

Mesogen
02-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I say no. Let them die if that's what's in the cards. It'll give another party a chance to break into the mainstream and maybe just maybe it can be prevented from falling straight into the hands of corporate power.

WilliamC
02-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Personally I would like to see the Libertarian and Constitution party merge under Ron Paul's leadership, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I think it is much more likely that we can co-opt the Republican party like the Evangelicals did in the 80's and 90's and the neocons did in the 90's and 00's.

Now it's time for the Constitutionalists to step up and take over.

FreeTraveler
02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
After a long time of supporting third parties, I see that working within the Republican party has literally gotten us hundreds of times the publicity, support, and votes that can ever be achieved outside the two-party system.

As for taking over the Republicans, it can be done, but it will take people willing to get off their butts, get to Republican Executive Committee meetings, volunteering to work for the party, and being involved in the political process. To date, we've surrendered OUR party to the neo-cons. The average Republican votes for Republicans because that's the way they're wired, but they don't take part in any of the rest of the process. If we have dedicated grassroots activists, taking over will be a fairly simple process, but we MUST get involved!!!

On that note... I see that the GOP is looking for 8,000 volunteers to work at the National Convention in Minneapolis-St.Paul, Sept. 1-4. They will be involved in all areas, including DATA PROCESSING! It would be VERY beneficial if HALF those volunteers were Ron Paul Republicans. :cool:

thompsonisland
02-04-2008, 07:47 AM
On that note... I see that the GOP is looking for 8,000 volunteers to work at the National Convention in Minneapolis-St.Paul, Sept. 1-4. They will be involved in all areas, including DATA PROCESSING! It would be VERY beneficial if HALF those volunteers were Ron Paul Republicans. :cool:

bump

Rangeley
02-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Absolutely we should try and save it.

painter4Ron Paul
02-04-2008, 08:04 AM
We need to take it back. The neocons have dragged the GOP through the mud and created an unrecognizable movement filled with warmongering, libral snakes. The top dogs in the party are not conservative. We need to continue organizing and help Paulites get elected. This is the only way.

Dave Pedersen
02-04-2008, 08:10 AM
If we formed an entirely new party we would be able to make our own rules and we would not be subjected to sudden changes in rules designed to keep us on the insurmountable fringe. But then when a new party is formed there is the inevitable infighting which goes along with it.

By letting the GOP maintain the organization we are free of that burden until such time as we can take command of it one person at a time. The GOP does not deserve our loyalty given their betrayal of conservatism. But they do provide a structure and legitimacy which cannot for many generations be duplicated by an independent effort.

charger
02-04-2008, 08:15 AM
We need to take over the Republican party.
The two party system has stacked the deck against a third party.
We need to infiltrate the Republican party. Get people with our beliefs elected into office at all levels. Then we can start to repeal all the restrictions against third party and independants. So that this type of deck stacking never happens again.
It will take time and you will need to be active but it can be done.

Ira Aten
02-04-2008, 08:22 AM
We don't need to save it. We just need to take it over from the leftist neocons who took it over from us while we slept through Arlen Specter, John McCain, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Rick Perry, etc.

We just need to go in and vote for RP in the primary, and go caucus for him to gain delegates, that's all.

We don't need to try to "change the minds" of the war mongering neocons in charge of the party. We need to replace them with ourselves in their positions.

Run for your Counyty precinct chairs, and the County Chairs.

Take the party back, and send the neocons back home.

IPSecure
02-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Let the good Doctor decide!

I believe he has a plan to win the delegates, not the popular vote.

Badger Paul
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
What choice do we have? Yes the GOP is broke, full of corrupt bastards and hacks but like it or not voters have decided they want just two parties to choose from not six, othwerise we would have viable non-major parties. The LP and CP and Greens can useful on the local and state level but on the national level, the majors are where the ballgame is right now.

But look at all we've accomplished with non-major party activists working for a major party candidate. It's not too shabby,