PDA

View Full Version : What was American life like before govt. control?

HollyforRP
02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
What was school like before Dept. of Education? What was changed during that time because for everyone who talks about how it would be awful without it, I also notice that there are also talks of people who can't find Louisiana on a map.

What was life like before welfare?

What were hospitals like before insurance took over?

Add other govt. programs.

I am curious because being in my 20's, I can see myself oneday talking to the youth about how the internet was great before it was controlled and I can easily picture the youth saying...but we need it to be controlled.

I'm asking because alot of people my age think we need all of these programs or there would be a huge collapse.

Anyone have experience in times where there was no dept. of education or any of the other issues?

2orb
02-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Related to me by my grandmother:

My grandmother was born in 1905 in a small coal mining town and her family struggled at times. She explained to me and my brothers how nieghbors took care of each other back then and if there was hunger, sickness or homelessness, people would turn to the churches for support. When you got back on your feet you would donate to the church to help support others.

There was no government entitlement. You gave what you could when you could. Everything was taken care of in the local communities.

She was always against taxes and welfare. She said the loss of community when government assistance started was the worst affect on our country.

AggieforPaul
02-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Devil's advocate:

-Jim Crow laws
-child labor
-unsanitary Meat