PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul running as Independant?

mmacisso
05-23-2007, 10:28 PM
I know Dr Paul expressed no interest when he was asked the night of the last GOP debate as running as an Independent. His chances to get nominated by the GOP are as likely as Bush winning "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" .... so the chances are slim.

I think he could really accomplish a lot more going independent - lets face it - he's not Republican - he's a Libertarian. He's used the debate forum in a brilliant manner and gotten some great exposure and kicked ass...but we know the "masters" wont allow him a shot at a GOP nomination.

However, given the chance to run independent - we could see a full scale peaceful uprising...a contemporary revolution and I think America is split enough for him to garner the leftist Republicans and the undecided.

I'm jumping the gun here...but lets get the idea tossed around so he has no choice but to run independently... I'm sure his advisors are already considering it.

Anyway...great forum...."Just what the Dr ordered!"

MoonMitz:cool:

Original_Intent
05-23-2007, 10:41 PM
He has already been asked to run on the Constitution Party ticket and declined.

God help him if he becomes popular enough to be perceived as a real threat to the Establishment. He is definitely Founding Father material.

PineGroveDave
05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
...lets face it - he's not Republican - he's a Libertarian. I understand what you're saying my friend,but as a former Republican since 1978 who just last year switched to the Libertarian Party, Ron Paul IS a Republican...At least what originally convinced me to become one before the party was hijacked by a bunch of fundamentalist Christian asshats that want to rape the Constitution and direct our lives.

I could care less what ticket this man runs on...He will get my vote even if I have to write him in.

hambone1982
05-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I think the fact that the other 3rd parties probably have their nominees in mind makes it all the more important that Ron Paul win the Republican nomination. It is going to take divine intervention and some of the hardest work any of us have ever done, but we have to try. If we're going to go down, then we have to go down swinging.

I want him to run as an independent if he doesn't win the republican nomination, but we would have to start collecting signatures today in order to get him on the ballot in all 50 states. Here in California, we require 200,000 signatures to get him on the ballot for the general election. (If we start collect signatures for him to run as an independent candidate that could take votes away from him as the Republican nominee). I think we have to put all of our eggs in one basket for now.

You could probably get him on the ballot as an independent in most states, but in some states he would have to run as a write-in candidate. Luckily his name is easy to spell. ;-)

tnvoter
05-23-2007, 10:52 PM
His chances to get nominated by the GOP are as likely as Bush winning "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" .... so the chances are slim.

I strongly disagree. With the immensely positive support RP has received in the past few weeks from people like myself who have just discovered him- to the thousands upon thousands of loyalists who have known him for years, I think with this early in the race over 6 month's away from the primaries - declaring something like that is ... well... let's just not.

The supposed "top 3" are constantly dwindling down, their finances are being spent like the Congress budget, and we have truth and the constitution on our side.

We have every reason to be stoked, so get positive, and keep getting the message out to friends and family and your offline communities as well! We're retaking the GoP from the Neocons.

winston84
05-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Its really unfortunate that RP would not consider running if he were not to pass the primaries. Perhaps this is just a strategy of his in not taking a defeatist attitude, but I doubt it. He certainly has a chance at winning the primary though, things are just getting started...

Seth M.
05-23-2007, 11:01 PM
I believe in my heart he deserves the office and I believe we have some difficulties to overcome. The Honorable Congressman knows what he is doing. Thinking of alternatives etc is smart and note worthy and at some point the planning might be needed, but it is too early and Ron Paul has a strong current with him.. tidal even.

Dont settle just yet... push forward! :)

Love and Light

PennCustom4RP
05-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I know Dr Paul expressed no interest when he was asked the night of the last GOP debate as running as an Independent. His chances to get nominated by the GOP are as likely as Bush winning "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" .... so the chances are slim.

I think he could really accomplish a lot more going independent - lets face it - he's not Republican - he's a Libertarian. He's used the debate forum in a brilliant manner and gotten some great exposure and kicked ass...but we know the "masters" wont allow him a shot at a GOP nomination.

However, given the chance to run independent - we could see a full scale peaceful uprising...a contemporary revolution and I think America is split enough for him to garner the leftist Republicans and the undecided.

I'm jumping the gun here...but lets get the idea tossed around so he has no choice but to run independently... I'm sure his advisors are already considering it.

Anyway...great forum...."Just what the Dr ordered!"

MoonMitz:cool:

I would have to agree. While Ron Paul is a Republican, in the strictess conservative sense of the word, he is not what the Republican party has come to be as we now know it. Few of us on this forum, or in America in general, can recall the the Republican Party as Dr Paul sees it, or thinks it should be. Most of us have grown up with the present GOP.
As a registered Democrat, I bite my tongue every day, knowing I will have to register Republican, to support the man, Ron Paul, as I agree with his positions on the issues, and feel he can turn our country around.
People are pissed about the Govt as usual, The GOP, the DNC, and people may only see the party affiliation, vote for their perceived 'lesser of 2 evils', and not the man, and his principles. Why not give a viable choice other than GOP or DNC?
While we his supporters are trying to make RP stand apart , where he already stands alone, I am hoping his GOP affiliation does not stigmatize his run for President
I would much rather see him run as an Independant candidate, as the US is ripe for a solid 3rd Party run for President. Often parties splinter or are formed to run a specific platform and support that candidate. Why not now?

mdh
05-24-2007, 12:18 AM
What this fails to recognize is that 80-90% of the Ron Paul supporters today only know about him because of his now-infamous debate statements. If he weren't a Republican candidate, he'd never have been in that debate. Furthermore, in the majority of states, only Republicans and Democrats can get on the ballot. Dr. Paul and the campaign have a lot to lose by not being a part of the Republican party, and his congressional career has a lot to lose if he abandons the GOP if the primary doesn't go his way. There're plenty of other decent libertarian candidates out there in the LP and CP, depending on whether you prefer a more or less secular government, respectively. Of them all, however, Ron Paul has by far the best chance to win specifically because of being on the Republican ticket.
Take it from someone who's dealt with ballot access issues in the past, running a third party candidate on a third party ticket is 50 times harder than getting Ron Paul the Republican nomination!

ButchHowdy
05-24-2007, 06:45 AM
As a registered Democrat, I bite my tongue every day, knowing I will have to register Republican, to support the man, Ron Paul, as I agree with his positions on the issues, and feel he can turn our country around.

KUDOS TO YOU! I know of many already, but I believe there are thousands of Democrats ready to pinch their nose!

My task of moving from "I" is a tad simpler but I'm with you!

Suzu
05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
...in some states he would have to run as a write-in candidate.

Can you write someone in on an electronic voting machine??