PDA

View Full Version : So where do YOU think we should head after this?

DeadtoSin
02-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Just know right off the bat, I'm not trying to distract from the Ron Paul campaign. Recently I've heard 3 sentiments quite frequently on the board, and I'd like to see a breakdown of who believes what, and why.

There is one group that believes we should stay in the Republican party, and begin to reform it. - If you believe this, why?

There is another group that believes we should actually CREATE our own party (I even heard someone joking about starting up the Whig party again) and try to actually grow a vibrant party out of this Revolution. - If you believe this, why?

And finally there is a group that simply believes we should be a group of independents who work together at times. - If you believe this, why?

DeadtoSin
02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Personally, I would like to stay in the Republican party, but if a new party formed out of the Ron Paul Revolution I would not distance myself from it by any means.

heath.whiteaker
02-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I feel if a new party is formed it should be called the REVOLUTION party.

FreeTraveler
02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
As it currently exists, the American political system is heavily weighted toward a two-party system. The GOP is currently filled mostly with old political bosses and their cronies who haven't yet given up hope in their party. The Dems are energized.

In most areas, the Reps are a shadow of their former selves. In many cases, the local Ron Paul Meetup Group is LARGER than the county GOP. In some cases, the difference is small.

National GOP officers get elected by state GOPs, which are controlled by county Republican Executive Committees.

Replace the executive committee members with members of the meetup groups, and it's over in a matter of a couple of years. The old guard won't know what hit them.

Bottom line, if enough people will get off their butts and attend meetings, the Republican Party can be a totally different party in a year's time.

It all boils down to this... do people just want to "Rage Against the Machine" or do they want to fix it and drive it in they direction they want to go?

Cleaner44
02-03-2008, 12:49 PM
To me there are only 2 choices, Republican or Libertarian.

Pros for Republican:
Well established party in all states and getting on the ballot is no problem.

Cons for Republican:
Well established corruption.
Terrible brand name.

Pros for Libertarian:
Well established party in all states and getting on the ballot in most states is reasonable.

Cons for Libertarian:
Low rate of acceptance among public and a legitamate party to be seriously considered.

Bottom line is a choice between overhauling a damaged Republican party or building a new Libertarian party that is the leading 3rd party but is still not considered "top tier".

hatefalseweight
02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
This is true about the meetups being bigger than the party. One of our guys says that we have at least a plurality if not an outright majority of 3 of the local county branches of our GOP just from the few dozen people who have joined the local GOP. A state guy at the last meeting indicated they sift out people who want to be natioal delegates based on their "experience" and they put out a preapproved slate based on those criteria vs. a straight up majority. So I'm not sure how that angle is going to work out, but we do have a few people with at least some experience.

FreeTraveler
02-03-2008, 01:02 PM
This is true about the meetups being bigger than the party. One of our guys says that we have at least a plurality if not an outright majority of 3 of the local county branches of our GOP just from the few dozen people who have joined the local GOP. A state guy at the last meeting indicated they sift out people who want to be natioal delegates based on their "experience" and they put out a preapproved slate based on those criteria vs. a straight up majority. So I'm not sure how that angle is going to work out, but we do have a few people with at least some experience.

When is your next state convention? That "state guy" can be out of a job then if you work hard at the county level in the meantime. Then the new "state guy" who puts together the next list of national delegates can be one of YOUR guys!

DeadtoSin
02-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, the poll is a bit more lopsided than I imagined.

csinmo
02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
To me, this is a pretty tough question. The "Republican" brand has lost a lot of repectability over the last couple of decades, and rightfully so. As a whole, they have abandoned their small government, non-interventionalist platform that made them so appealing to conservative voters. I guess what the question needs to be is even if we can reclaim the party, are enough voters willing to give the "new" party a new chance? Has the name been tarnished past the point of no return?

WilliamC
02-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I think there are still, at the state and local level, many good Constitution loving Conservatives in the Republican party.

Just as the Evangelical Christians took over the party in the 1980's, the neoconservatives took it over in the late 90's and 2000's, it's time for the Constitutionalists to retake the party now.

A third party option would be much more expensive and take far longer to have an impact on the political system than a take-over of the Republicans.

FreeTraveler
02-03-2008, 01:49 PM
To me, this is a pretty tough question. The "Republican" brand has lost a lot of repectability over the last couple of decades, and rightfully so. As a whole, they have abandoned their small government, non-interventionalist platform that made them so appealing to conservative voters. I guess what the question needs to be is even if we can reclaim the party, are enough voters willing to give the "new" party a new chance? Has the name been tarnished past the point of no return?

It's just like Dr. Paul says in dealing with other nations. We're supposed to win them over to freedom by setting a good example. Win a few small victories, then people start to notice that the "New" Republicans are keeping their word, lowering taxes, eliminating regulations, getting out of people's lives and allowing more freedom... and it starts to grow.

Kregener
02-03-2008, 01:50 PM
1968:

As it currently exists, the American political system is heavily weighted toward a two-party system. The Democratic party is currently filled mostly with old political bosses and their cronies who haven't yet given up hope in their party. The Republicans are energized.

1976:

As it currently exists, the American political system is heavily weighted toward a two-party system. The GOP is currently filled mostly with old political bosses and their cronies who haven't yet given up hope in their party. The Dems are energized.

1980:

As it currently exists, the American political system is heavily weighted toward a two-party system. The Democratic party is currently filled mostly with old political bosses and their cronies who haven't yet given up hope in their party. The Republicans are energized.

1992:

2000:

2008:

Repeat until the internment camps counselors come for you...

raystone
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
bump