PDA

View Full Version : Timing of Ron's Book?

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 11:48 AM
With the book coming out in April, this seems perfectly timed to boost the idea of a Ron Paul independent run. If his PR people are good, he can get on every TV show in the country, and do a huge 50-state book tour!

AlexMerced
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM
it boosts the idea of Ron Paul in general at a very good time

yongrel
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM
FFS, stop it. We get the point! You want RP to run independent. Now shut up for a bit.

Kregener
02-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I dunno.

But I pre-ordered it.

muh_roads
02-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Why do people care so much for Paul to run independent?

I am so not excited about this notion. You have to pay a fortune just to get on ballots, the MSM will barely ever talk about you, and you never get included in debates unless you are a billionaire like Perot.

Who gives a crap about running independent.

FreeTraveler
02-03-2008, 11:54 AM

I am so not excited about this notion. You have to pay a fortune just to get on ballots, the MSM will barely ever talk about you, and you never get included in debates unless you are a billionaire like Perot.

It's mostly young kids who've never been through an election cycle before and have no idea how totally unrealistic the idea is. The other component is trolls who want us to not worry about the Republican primaries.

sgrooms
02-03-2008, 11:56 AM
It's mostly young kids who've never been through an election cycle before and have no idea how totally unrealistic the idea is. The other component is trolls who want us to not worry about the Republican primaries.

that's exactly what it is. people who haven't been through an election cycle.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Or it could be someone like me who knew all along that the corrupt, war-mongering, civil-rights-trampling GOP would mock and mistreat Ron and never give him the nomination. Some of us, like me, were actually there when Ross Perot came within inches of taking the white house in 1992. I attended a huge rally in Denver for Perot that year, just to see what all the fuss was about. If H Ross had not dropped out of the race and had a mental meltdown, he could have won.

It's you who are "trolling" and hurting Ron Paul. If he does not get the GOP nod, then independent is our best chance. Ron has dropped strong hints that he might do it. His own son Rand mentioned it.

What do you want to do, just have Ron give up on the white house race??????

Elle
02-03-2008, 12:13 PM
The timing of the book is perfect. Dr. Paul and his campaign know what they are doing. He probably kept very good notes from the last run for President 20 years ago. The man is smart. He knows exactly what is going on and how to stop this run away train before it wrecks.

AlexMerced
02-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Or it could be someone like me who knew all along that the corrupt, war-mongering, civil-rights-trampling GOP would mock and mistreat Ron and never give him the nomination. Some of us, like me, were actually there when Ross Perot came within inches of taking the white house in 1992. I attended a huge rally in Denver for Perot that year, just to see what all the fuss was about. If H Ross had not dropped out of the race and had a mental meltdown, he could have won.

It's you who are "trolling" and hurting Ron Paul. If he does not get the GOP nod, then independent is our best chance. Ron has dropped strong hints that he might do it. His own son Rand mentioned it.

no ones trolling... geez... we'll find out later on if there will be an independant run or not, now focus on the task at hand. Everyone acts like kids sometimes, I'm 22 and am probably too young to be telling people to grow up.

THIS IS WHAT WE GOT TO FOCUS ON

- Raising Ron Paul awareness
- Recruiting Preceincts leaders (this will be important no matter how he's running)
- supporting Liberty candidates

WRellim
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
With the book coming out in April, this seems perfectly timed to boost the idea of a Ron Paul independent run. If his PR people are good, he can get on every TV show in the country, and do a huge 50-state book tour!

Again I have to ask what people are smoking...

Who are these mythical "PR people" you speak of?

There are NONE on the campaign staff. (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/)

And the book itself, while worthy effort, is apparently being published under a minor "sub-house" label (a division of a division of a division of Little, Brown) known as Grand Central Publishing... an "imprint" so small that it doesn't even have its own website -- and the website of the next-level-up of the publisher "Hachette Book Group" (http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/) does not even have him listed under it's authors or published books. This book will be sold TO supporters only, and mainly via online sales, the publishing group will do little to promote it in the mainstream.

FreeTraveler
02-03-2008, 12:24 PM

If Frogs had wings, they wouldn't bumb their asses against the ground, either. Ross Perot had NO CHANCE of winning, although I voted for him myself. The election would have been fixed if they hadn't managed to make him look like a paranoid kook.

I agree about the independent run IF Dr. Paul doesn't get the Republican nomination, but it will be an educational effort; the machines will guarantee that.

The ONLY way to beat the two-party system is to take over one of those parties, and if you've bothered to attend a Republican Executive Committee meeting in your county, you'd know that will be amazingly easy to do. National GOP leaders are elected by state leaders, who in turn are elected by the counties... and there are few counties in the country that have enough of the old guard still involved that they can't be overwhelmed by local RP supporters and taken over.

AlexMerced
02-03-2008, 12:25 PM

And the book itself, while worthy effort, is apparently being published under a minor "sub-house" label (a division of a division of a division of Little, Brown) known as Grand Central Publishing... an "imprint" so small that it doesn't even have its own website -- and the website of the next-level-up of the publisher "Hachette Book Group" (http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/) does not even have him listed under it's authors or published books. This book will be sold TO supporters only, and mainly via online sales, the publishing group will do little to promote it in the mainstream.

this book is being published by a big publisher, they will have some good publicist working on this book.

The book will get great publicity, hopefully the attention trickles over to the campaign

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 12:25 PM

The book's sales so far are astronomical, at #3 on amazon and B&N. Ron can HIRE a PR person, or his publishing house will hire a crack PR firm. Books don't sell this well without the publisher taking notice.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 12:27 PM
If Frogs had wings, they wouldn't bumb their asses against the ground, either. Ross Perot had NO CHANCE of winning, although I voted for him myself. The election would have been fixed if they hadn't managed to make him look like a paranoid kook.

HAHAHAHAHAH... no chance??? He was leading in the polls against Bush and Clinton. It was his own fault for dropping out of the race, getting back in, acting psychotic, etc. Read Ed Rollins' book about that race. Perot could have won if he did not melt down.

Cogz
02-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Why independent run? The book comes out just about the same time as a lot of state conventions. If he can build the book up as a comprehensive solution to all the problems in the party, and be one of two people left in the GOP race, I imagine he can stand to gain a lot of unpledged or other candidate delegates.

Just a thought...

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Why independent run? The book comes out just about the same time as a lot of state conventions. If he can build the book up as a comprehensive solution to all the problems in the party, and be one of two people left in the GOP race, I imagine he can stand to gain a lot of unpledged or other candidate delegates.

Just a thought...

Sure, if the race is still open. I agree. If the race is not still open, then we go independent. What we should be doing now is trying give Ron a great showing on Super Tuesday. That will help either way.

AlexMerced

Just a thought...

BINGO, someone gets what's going

wgadget

Um, we're running Republican now, and we are getting the same treatment....

wgadget
02-03-2008, 12:34 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH... no chance??? He was leading in the polls against Bush and Clinton. It was his own fault for dropping out of the race, getting back in, acting psychotic, etc. Read Ed Rollins' book about that race. Perot could have won if he did not melt down.

I agree. He was an intriguing candidate.

DeadtoSin
02-03-2008, 12:35 PM
MayTheRon, I respect that fact that you want Ron Paul to run independent. Yes, the GOP is dirty. Right now though, Ron Paul is putting a lot of effort into getting the GOP nomination, so for the sake of this grassroots campaign and Ron Paul would you just let it go at least until after Super Tuesday?

kyleAF
02-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Check the numbers on running as a third party, e.g. the states who won't allow it based on "sore-loser" laws (like Texas!), the cost of getting on the ballots all over again, along with needing signatures all over again, and the further blackout of third parties by the MSM --- even more so than unpopular GOP candidates :) . Ron Paul is not a billionaire, especially as his most ardent supporters begin to max out!

The only way a third party run is beneficial is as a threat at the convention, because it would guarantee that the GOP candidate won't win the general election. It's a bargaining chip at best, not a workable alternative.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Check the numbers on running as a third party, e.g. the states who won't allow it based on "sore-loser" laws (like Texas!), the cost of getting on the ballots all over again, along with needing signatures all over again

The Texas law does not apply to presidential candidates. There are no sore losers laws that would prevent Ron from being on the ballot.

Show evidence of this claim or don't make it, please.

JS4Pat
02-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Well you are correct about the almost insurmountable hurdles. I worked at the national level of Pat Buchanan's 3rd Party Run in 2000 and you saw how far we got - even with name recognition...

Some things that made me take a second look at a Ron Paul independent run...

* Ballot Access - Ron Paul has the unique ability to rally multiple 3rd party groups who already have ballot access - Libertarians, Constitutional Party, America First Party, Green Party, Unity '08 Party. PLUS 99% of ballot access success boils down to the commitment of your grassroots to get signatures. If we started this spring - it might be easier than you think.

* The Bloomberg Factor - If Bloomberg runs 3rd Party, then we might have an ally in our fight to get into the debates, plus (along with a likely Nader Run) the whole ridiculous argument of Ron Paul "stealing votes" and "electing Hillary" is secrely marginalized.

* The Political Landscape- If it comes down to McWar and Hillary - the political landscape is PERFECT for a Ron Paul candidacy. Two Pro-War Washington Insiders Failing to address the BIG issues facing the country. We get to play up the "rejected by the Republican establishment" card to bring in Democrats and Independents. Not to mention disgruntled Obama supporters and hard core Anti-war folks from the Left. PLUS the anger of the base of the GOP at John McCain - might get us Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter endorsments which means herds of sheep come our way. :D

* Time - Our support is STILL growing even after election defeats. We just need more time because of the Old Media blackout of our candidate and message. There is no doubt in my mind that the creativity and ingenuity of this RP grassroots movement if given more time and a shift in focus (reaching non-internet/elderly voters) could make substantial gains in support over the summer leading up to the fall debates and election.

* The Message - The other thing an Independent run would do is allow us to use this incredible vehicle (Ron Paul) to further spread the message of Freedom, Peace & Prosperity. I know we need more messengers, but this one is just so good and realistically this is probably his last hoorah - we need to milk it for everything we can. It would help us to grow our Meetup Groups and give us more time to focus on our future strategy.

I know it's probably too early for this post.:)

NightOwl
02-03-2008, 01:39 PM

That is absolutely false. Grand Central is the former Warner Books, of Time/Warner. The name, therefore, is relatively new, but the house isn't. It publishes Stephen Colbert and John Paul II, for heaven's sake. And yes, like all major houses, it has a major, major marketing and p.r. wing. It will book Ron Paul everywhere.

Really, you're just dead wrong here, and shouldn't be mouthing off about something you know nothing about in order to dash people's hopes. Ask someone in the publishing industry if Grand Central is "an 'imprint' so small...." You'll get laughter, and then they'll say, "Oh, you were serious?"

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Good points, Pat!

Tronchaser
02-03-2008, 01:53 PM
"The ONLY way to beat the two-party system is to take over one of those parties, and if you've bothered to attend a Republican Executive Committee meeting in your county, you'd know that will be amazingly easy to do. National GOP leaders are elected by state leaders, who in turn are elected by the counties... and there are few counties in the country that have enough of the old guard still involved that they can't be overwhelmed by local RP supporters and taken over"

This is QFT... I volunteered to be a precinct chairman in my precinct. I have in my hand the paperwork (which I will be submitting on Monday) for those that want to be delegates to the county convention. Also attached is a sheet for those that would like to volunteer for the Resolution Commitee. That's the commitee that votes on, and forwards platform changes to the State GOP. And it's all from volunteering. The GOP is just a juicy ole low hangin fruit ripe for the picking.

You can complain about the GOP all you want, but the oppurtunity is there for us to change it.

Get off your lazy ass. :)