PDA

View Full Version : Field poll has Ron Paul at 10% in California-- Statistically tied with Huckabee.

dw1345
02-03-2008, 10:09 AM
While this particular poll has Ron about 5% higher than the average California polls, it is still a good sign that we could break double digits in California. Good job to all the grassroots efforts going into California, lets keep it going strong.

Mystile
02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
nice, is California winner take all?

dw1345
02-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Unfortunately yes, but a good showing there (3rd place) could give us a boost.

ItsTime
02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
cali is not winner take all

dw1345
02-03-2008, 10:13 AM

From CNN: California is worth 170 delegates for the Republicans and unlike the Democrats, the winner of the state's primary will be awarded them all.

ItsTime
02-03-2008, 10:15 AM
sorry I was wrong

From CNN: California is worth 170 delegates for the Republicans and unlike the Democrats, the winner of the state's primary will be awarded them all.

Bradley in DC
02-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Cali is winner-take-all by Congressional District for those three delegates each and winner take all for the 11 At-Large delegates.

http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf

CALIFORNIA 2008

Numbers
173 Total Delegates
• 3 RNC, 159 CD and 11 AL
Important Dates
Delegate list submitted to SOS: 1/07/08
Primary: 2/05/08
State Convention: 2/22/08 – 2/24/08
Alternate list submitted to SOS: 3/06/08
Selection Method
Closed Primary

Delegates Bound for 2 ballots

o 170 Bound

o 3 Unbound
Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Statewide winner- take-all.
Delegate election: Presidential candidates file a slate of AL delegates prior to primary.

CD – Delegate allocation: CD winner-take-all.
Delegate election: Presidential candidates file a slate of CD delegates prior to primary.

dw1345
02-03-2008, 10:16 AM
sorry I was wrong

It's okay. Heck, I wish you were right then he could get some delegates out of California.

ItsTime
02-03-2008, 10:17 AM
what DC said. I guess that is why I was confused.

Eponym_mi
02-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Unfortunately yes, but a good showing there (3rd place) could give us a boost.

No, it isn't. Delegates are awarded to the winner of each congressional district. 14 super delegates are awarded to the candidate that won the most CDs.

rxx
02-03-2008, 10:23 AM
sorry I was wrong

Not completely wrong

California is a "Winner takes all by congressional district"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Republican_primary%2C_2008

dw1345
02-03-2008, 10:24 AM
No you were right:

Interesting, glad this was cleared up, my bad.

InLoveWithRon
02-03-2008, 10:28 AM
The election process is so screwed up in America.. I think it was created so the powers that be can rig elections easier.

Look at Louisiana.. We won that state but the other GOP candidates got together to create a pro-family movement to put RP in 2nd place.. What the fuck is pro-family ? And how is Ron not pro family?

Every state has different rules. Florida is winner take all.. Cailfornia is winner take all "by district".. Some states its not by district or take all, it's by just straight delegate votes..

Its really disgusting how this process works..

specsaregood
02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Not completely wrong

And there have been a fair number of articles pointing out that this change can help a candidate like Ron Paul.

In years past Republican candidates could ignore smaller less republican areas and focus only on the hotbeds of republicanism, example: OC.
This change actually gives the republican voters in non-republican areas a greater voice. I think the change will be good for us.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Field is California's most respected poll. This is good news! He's way from where he was only a month ago.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
02-03-2008, 10:42 AM
The lesson here is not to use CNN as a primary fact source.

Badger Paul
02-03-2008, 10:43 AM
A good goal for Super Tuesday is to finish ahead of Huckabee in northern and western primaries.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
The election process is so screwed up in America.. I think it was created so the powers that be can rig elections easier.

Look at Louisiana.. We won that state but the other GOP candidates got together to create a pro-family movement to put RP in 2nd place.. What the fuck is pro-family ? And how is Ron not pro family?

Every state has different rules. Florida is winner take all.. Cailfornia is winner take all "by district".. Some states its not by district or take all, it's by just straight delegate votes..

Its really disgusting how this process works..

the States have the right to decide how to hold their primaries. Would you rather the Federal Government mandate a blanket system for all the states?

noztnac
02-03-2008, 10:46 AM
10% with four people in the race is poor. No amount of spin can make that look good. We have to quit kidding ourselves and face the fact that if we don't get off our asses and do some serious work we will lose.

Bradley in DC
02-03-2008, 10:47 AM

It was "created" to defer to state preferences. That approach is very RP: a clear state of rules allocated delegates by state and allowing each state to determine how it will elect its respective delegates.

This link is to the RNC summary of each of the state's rules:
http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf

InLoveWithRon
02-03-2008, 10:52 AM
the States have the right to decide how to hold their primaries. Would you rather the Federal Government mandate a blanket system for all the states?

Yes.. You do have a good point there.

I sit corrected.

slamhead
02-03-2008, 10:59 AM

No...delegates awarded by districts.

Alawn
02-03-2008, 11:30 AM

This is wrong and I know it for 100% sure. CA is winner take all but by congressional district not the state. The winner of each district gets 3 delegates and everyone else gets 0. Then 10 go to the one who wins the state (0 for others) and a few are state republican officials.

mexicanpizza
02-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Jesus people, read the thread before you jump in with your correction.