PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems During MTV Forum: Goofup or Intentional?

ronpaulfan
02-03-2008, 02:46 AM
The sound was inaudible the first minute. This caused tens of thousands of casual viewers to change the channel.

If you think this wasn't intentional, you are still asleep.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/AL319niqByg/default.jpg
Ron Paul on MTV/MySpace Forum, part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL319niqByg)

icon124
02-03-2008, 02:49 AM
I think most of us here know it was intentional...i mean come on...do you really think MTV didn't hire competent engineers for this?

bcreps85
02-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Lasted a long time and they never mentioned it even though he was almost inaudible. IMO it was intentionally done right at the beginning to try and get people to tune out while he was talking.

Enzo
02-03-2008, 03:21 AM
If it wasn't intentional... they should have stopped him immediately... since he could obviously hear them... and waited until the problem was corrected.... instead of letting him make a fool of himself for 2 minutes.

MattMinnesota
02-03-2008, 03:41 AM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. You could still hear him, it just wasn't clear sound. It was a satellite connection, what do you really expect? It happens all the time on live broadcasts when you are watching the news.

To those saying they should have stopped him: maybe it wasn't happening in the studio so they didn't even know about it. The problem was fixed within his first response.

Not saying MTV and myspace are unbiased (look at their owners), but I'm not gonna just to conclusions just yet.

akijikan
02-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Yeah satellite connections are hokey...take your tin foil hat off.

jupiter
02-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Hasn't anyone heard of sound/mic checks preceding a live broadcast? Clearly, the checks must have been successful, but suddenly the sound goes out.

nodope0695
02-03-2008, 03:51 AM
It happened briefly with Huck too. I think the hasty set up with the sattelite feeds were a contributing factor.

What WAS messed up was that Computer Widget moron, Chris - you know, the dude with the beard. His comment after RP was finished about how all of his supporters are "tech savy" and slanted the online polls. I've added that moron to my "F U List" along with Frank Luntz.

I was able to hear the entire answer, so its a little strange. The sound was "muffled", but I could still hear it.

RonPaulCult
02-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Ok since I have live tv news experience I should answer to this. I don't think it was intentional. I noticed that he was using a wireless mic that had an mtv/myspace logo on it. Those wireless mics suck and do stuff like that all the time. If you turn slightly it makes the sound crappy.

What WAS intentional and what I would love to hear an explanation for was the opening when they showed images of the candidates. All of the other three had their own shot and Ron Paul was tiny and behind McCain who was NOT ON THE PROGRAM. I can't BELIEVE that shit!

lasenorita
02-03-2008, 03:58 AM
I'd say it was intentional simply because incidents like that that has happened several times before. His mic sounds horrible at debates, he has trouble hearing other people's mics at debates, and there were even times when the TV suddenly decided to perform an emergency alert system check right when he's about to speak. Either that or maybe Ron Paul just has the worst possible luck with audio devices. :D

Peterjar
02-03-2008, 04:02 AM
I watched the whole thing on streaming video from Europe without any problems. I even voted in all the live polls. There was some static at the begining but this happened for Obama as well, MTVs main man.

Ron did great! 16% were more likely to vote for him after watching while something like 60% were definitely voting for him. Thats good news, because us RP supporters who were flooding the voting would probably only pick "definitely vote for" rather tan "more likely to vote for." He made some converts last night, no question about it.

ButchHowdy
02-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Actually, it sounded kind of cool. Like it was only coming out of the rear speakers and guess what . . . .

I don't have any rear speakers!

dvictr
02-03-2008, 06:39 AM
intentional... what about the "disclaimer" at the end... "attention sheep, the candidate you have just seen is irrelevant. a vote for him is a waste.."

WTF was that!

NoMoreApathy
02-03-2008, 07:20 AM
He was never inaudible on the feed I was getting. There were a few really quick mic cut-outs but nothing major.

jcbraithwaite7
02-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Well I was also in the audience for the Orlando Fox debate and I think they messed with his mic then too.

jpwilhelm
02-03-2008, 08:50 AM
It was the satellite feed. I worked at ABC in NYC for 4 years and this happened all the time. I heard him just fine coming out of my surround sound speakers, I was wondering what the rest of the people heard without surround sound.

ruzz
02-03-2008, 09:05 AM
The people that think this was intentional are the ones that give Ron Paul supporters a bad name. It was a glitch...it happens all the time but just because it happens to Paul it has to be the evil media. Don't be such a wacko!

peace

JMO
02-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Even the wording in this poll is poor and I didn't vote in it because of it. Its obvious the person who started this poll is trying to steer you to what he wants you to vote. The person who started this poll is guilty of the same things he accuses the media, nice job in being unfair and unbalanced.

It gets sickening too see every little thing that happens people look at it as a conspiracy against Ron Paul. I am not saying the media is not biased, but its nothing more than paranoia to think that MTV sabotaged the first 2 minutes of Ron Paul.

nc4rp
02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
does that question really need to even be asked....

chelu
02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd say it was intentional simply because incidents like that that has happened several times before. His mic sounds horrible at debates, he has trouble hearing other people's mics at debates, and there were even times when the TV suddenly decided to perform an emergency alert system check right when he's about to speak. Either that or maybe Ron Paul just has the worst possible luck with audio devices. :D

LOL. Gotta second that emergency alert BS. That happened here in FL, in one of the debates in either Nov or Dec, right on Ron's first question. To the average viewer it may have been nothing, but for anyone who's watched ALL the republican debates, it was so obvious I could do nothing but laugh at how "coincidental" it was. I quickly turned upset, because as is the case with American politics, it all would be hilarious & pathetic, if not for the millions of innocent lives it affects.

nightlight
02-03-2008, 11:58 AM
He should have asked to get an extra 2-3 minutes he lost on bad audio. Or at least to have that question and answer replyed.

Renegades
02-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah satellite connections are hokey...take your tin foil hat off.

Exactly.
I can hear him just fine.... :confused:

coastie
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
While the sound had some issues for me, I never could totally not hea:confused:r him...

RonPaulMTV
02-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I've seen video of the first part where they cleaned the sound up and fixed it. Why is the official Myspace video of part 1 still bad? It's not like it's live, so they should have fixed it, plus his is the only one that went bad. This is another example of intentional sabotage, just a little more subtle (not so subtle to us though).

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=27491959

ziggrl
02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
It's funny how it didn't happen to Huckabee who was first. The trouble may have been on RP's end. I'm all for conspiracy, but I need to digest this a bit more to believe it was.

Maybe it was just RP's luck. Maybe I have such bad luck and since I was watching . . . .

Matt Collins
02-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I am a professional audio engineer.

I have run sound for Dr. Paul, the Governor of Florida, Charlie Daniels Band, Papa Roach, the TN Titans Head Coach, Tom Joyner, and many others.

I can assure everyone here that this was NOT intentional. In highly complex broadcast situations like this mistakes are not uncommon neither is equipment failure. It happens.

My guess is that it was some sort of phase problem which added harmonics. This could've been caused by some sort of cross-talk internally either in a cable or some faulty equipment.

Without knowing their setup and the signal chain I wouldn't be able to tell for sure.

Matt Collins
02-03-2008, 06:57 PM
He should have asked to get an extra 2-3 minutes he lost on bad audio. Or at least to have that question and answer replyed.Ron didn't know what happened. In fact the people in the studio didn't seem to know what happened. Only the outgoing signal to the satellite or master control would know what was going on. Ron hears something completely different than what the room hears. And the room hears something completely different than what the TV audience and Ron hears. It's a very complex situation.

Chemicalman
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
This from Lew Rockwell. Not everything is a conspiracy.

It was NOT intentional

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/019128.html

RPinUptownChi
02-03-2008, 07:14 PM
--

CrazyRonPaulSupporter
02-03-2008, 08:27 PM
A goofup. I streamed it from the MTV page when it was live, and the sound came out just fine. Some minor broadcast distortions for the first 3 min, in stereo it was still audible what Ron Paul was saying, but after that it was a clean sound the whole way. Uploading it to YouTube made it go mono and it phased out the sound from Ron's mic. The MTV files Ron's voice is still loud and clear (including the distortions).

Ron's performance was so great and jaw dropping that Chris (the online poll guy) had to say our positive numbers for Ron Paul was organized by the man himself and a couple of online spam bots. He got even more frustrated when it turned out that Obama's numbers was lower than Ron's. He was panicking and just mumbled the Obama numbers in the end. It was a joy to see Chris start to shake and sweat during Ron Paul's dialogue, and then having a nervous breakdown seeing the shitty numbers after the Obama dialogue!! PRICELESS!! :D

jeffersonT
02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Though my immediate reaction was a sarcastic unsurprised "well...'ain't' that somethin'?"...

I think it was probably just a malfunction/"goof-up".

chiplitfam
02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
MTV sucks.

HollyforRP
02-04-2008, 10:19 PM
intentional... what about the "disclaimer" at the end... "attention sheep, the candidate you have just seen is irrelevant. a vote for him is a waste.."

WTF was that!

I didn't see that. Is there a clip of it somewhere?