PDA

View Full Version : do Mainers have to show ID at the caucus?

deanne
02-03-2008, 01:00 AM
the law requiring Michiganders to do so passed recently...just wondering if it's the same in Maine.
if so, do they examine the ID and cross-reference with a voter list before letting you vote for delegates and vote in the straw poll?

RufusTDoofus
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
It's technically a requirement but at our caucus no one needed an ID. It was so small they all knew each other.

The verification of voter registration lists is done after the fact. There's a list of all attendees that's forwarded to the Town Clerk or Registrar of Voters in each town. That list is supposed to be verified and confirmed by March 24th (I think). There were no lists of registered voters present at our caucus location.

Molly1
02-03-2008, 01:11 AM
It's technically a requirement but at our caucus no one needed an ID. It was so small they all knew each other.

The verification of voter registration lists is done after the fact. There's a list of all attendees that's forwarded to the Town Clerk or Registrar of Voters in each town. That list is supposed to be verified and confirmed by March 24th (I think). There were no lists of registered voters present at our caucus location.

That's another thing worth checking out. Were all the votes verified?

deanne
02-03-2008, 01:13 AM
It was so small they all knew each other.

:eek:

:eek::eek:
wow, amazing how different things are from state to state. thanks

RufusTDoofus
02-03-2008, 01:20 AM
That's another thing worth checking out. Were all the votes verified?

Which votes? The straw poll or the votes for delegates?

RufusTDoofus
02-03-2008, 01:24 AM
:eek:
wow, amazing how different things are from state to state. thanks

It's important to remember that a caucus is purely a function of a political party. A caucus is not an election. The parties make their own rules on how to conduct their caucuses. The local caucuses also have some leeway in implementing their own rules of procedure as well.

When there's an official election the voter registration lists are present, checked and if they don't recognize you at the polling location your ID is checked as well.

Fotrane
02-03-2008, 02:16 AM
No, and when I go to vote in a normal election, I tell them who I am and the cross me off the list....:)

deanne
02-03-2008, 08:40 PM
It's important to remember that a caucus is purely a function of a political party. A caucus is not an election. The parties make their own rules on how to conduct their caucuses. The local caucuses also have some leeway in implementing their own rules of procedure as well.

When there's an official election the voter registration lists are present, checked and if they don't recognize you at the polling location your ID is checked as well.

yeah, i see. before this election cycle, i was aware that some states caucus, but i didn't even know it was (or could be) this hours-long thing with speeches and stuff. in fact, i didn't know how it differed from a primary at all. i am learning a lot about politics this time around. i kind of like the caucus idea, though.

deanne
02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
No, and when I go to vote in a normal election, I tell them who I am and the cross me off the list....:)

yeah, that's how it was in MI before the new law:cool:
i wish it wasn't necessary (and some connected with the official Paul campaign in my county were heavily against it) but i can see where vote fraud could take place if they didn't require ID.

SteveMartin
02-03-2008, 09:44 PM
We didn't show ID in the little caucus in Houlton either. In fact, the GOP counted the votes for RP for 3 people who were unenrolled, had no registrar there for their town to enroll them, and took their vote just because they filled out an enrollment card.

I can't speak for the GOP statewide but for northern Maine the party bosses were excellent and fair.

However, the OP raises a very interesting question regarding possible "bussed in" Mormon votes for Romney in southern Maine. That has to remain a huge concern because of lack of voter verification I witnessed up north.

bkreigh
02-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I was one of the first ones in the door and i didnt show my ID. I thought it was a little odd. I think anybody could have just showed up and voted if they wanted to actually. There was a middle school music concert that was going on next door so who knows. It looked legit. RP had a good showing as well.