PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 2316: Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007

Fields of Hope
02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I was surprised to find Paul voting No on this bill (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2007-423). I found this reference (http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_Paul_Government_Reform.htm) saying that opponents voted No because the bill did not require disclosure of bundled donations by lobbyists to PACs. Despite this, it seems to me passing the bill would still be better than not passing it.

I understand that Paul often votes with reasons that are difficult to appreciate on the surface. I am curious as to what his logic was and am wondering if anyone has heard him speak of this?

pdavis
02-02-2008, 11:53 PM
If this is that lobbying bill that was all over the news last year that didn't do much of anything to stop it, you do realize it is unconstitutional to outlaw lobbying (Read: First Amendment)

pinkmandy
02-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Take the power away from the feds, give it back to the states, and the lobbying issue pretty much disappears at the federal level. States can enact their own laws for lobbying at that level.

Carole
02-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Were there any hidden riders in the bill, you know like the tsunami assistance bill that had the hidden future pardons of the president and his cronies inside? Or was it RFID?

Carole
02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Funny isn't it? One would think it would be illegal to bribe a politician?

Fields of Hope
02-03-2008, 12:15 AM
It is unconstitutional to outlaw lobbying, but this bill is only meant to regulate (e.g. restrictions on gifts and paid travels) and bring transparency through mandating disclosure.

I agree that the root of the problem in lobbying is that power is too centralized in the federal government that is currently too big.

I guess I am bringing this up for my own educational purposes. I had a chance to read Dr. Paul's essay when I found out that he was the only one who voted against funding Katrina victims. While I disagreed with his decision because I felt injecting money directly into the region was impractical and the urgency of the situation should have trumped any inefficiencies or corruptions that might have occurred, I did find his view refreshing and particularly insightful. It was a great learning experience!

Fields of Hope
02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Were there any hidden riders in the bill, you know like the tsunami assistance bill that had the hidden future pardons of the president and his cronies inside? Or was it RFID?

Good point. I confess that I didn't take the effort to read the entire bill. After reading a few sections of the Patriot Act and this one, I realized what a daunting task legislators have in reading these massive bills day in and day out. Not to mention the astuteness and vigilance they must have to catch those 3 or 4 problematic items.

I have a new found respect for Dr. Paul in doing what he does, and also some skepticism as to whether people like "Sunshine" McCain can really do this job properly. :rolleyes:

skeryl
02-03-2008, 12:39 AM
heres another bill to provide greater transparency in the legislative process that Ron Paul did vote for..

http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_keyvote_detail.php?cs_id=14624

Ive learned to give Dr Paul the benefit of the doubt :)

Fields of Hope
02-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Wow! Great. Thanks! :)