PDA

View Full Version : Is McCAIN winning current Primaries a bad thing?

westmich4paul
02-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I just have to ponder this thought. Is McCain winning these early primaries and eliminating some of the others such a bad thing for the campaign? If we can stay in it until the Convention would the conservative part of the Republican Party actually allow McCain the nomination? If it comes down to the convention who is really left standing? I can see only 3 possibly and that could be either McNasty, Paul and Romney or McNasty, Paul and Huckleberry. Both Huckster and Romney are on the ropes financially and as long as we give and give and give till it flippen hurts to Ron we stay in.

Added to the fact of who could win in the General Election against a Dem and we all know that Paul is the only one who has a shot. I for one think we are in a much better chance to win the nomination with McCain leading than let's say Romney. Just my opinion but what do you think?

RageAgainstDC
02-03-2008, 12:00 AM
i agree, though really anyone except ron winning any primary is a bad thing, but people around here don't seem to see things that way ;)

TER
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
In a word, yes. McCain needs to be eliminated like yesterday. He is a major threat to the security of this country. Banking on him losing to Ron Paul in a convention is not a risk any educated American should want to take.

dblee
02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
there is a mccain backlash happening

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/02/super.tuesday/index.html

SWATH
02-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Yes because McCain winning will result in people just voting against him, as in voting for Romney.

faisal
02-03-2008, 12:16 AM
huckabee said he's in it until theirs a nominee... Mitt Romney will also stay, meaning we'll have to deal with all of em.

bcreps85
02-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Honestly, I think that it is good if McCain and Romney keep duking it out, and Huckabee stays in and picks up some states as well, because it increases the chance that none of them will end up with enough delegates for an automatic win. As long as we keep getting delegates loyal to us and none of these guys have enough to secure a definite win, we should have a very good shot at taking this election with or without the popular vote. My feeling is that if one of these two drop out too soon, the other could dominate and end up with tons and tons of delegates...

Goldwater Conservative
02-03-2008, 01:21 AM
there is a mccain backlash happening

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/02/super.tuesday/index.html

From that article:

" Past campaigns have seen a reverse bandwagon effect. When a candidate gets close to winning the nomination, the bandwagon doesn't speed up. It slows down.

Voters in the late primaries say, "Oh my God! What have we done?''

That's why a double-knockout by McCain would be great. He CAN do it, since he's leading in the polls of almost every Super Tuesday state. Romney and (especially) Huckabee will probably be picking up scraps on Tuesday.

If Romney can only win a few more mountain states (two of his three "golds" are Wyoming and Nevada) and Huck can only win a few (not even all) of the Southern states, both will have to seriously consider stepping down.

Huck is already broke and needs momentum to refill his coffers, and while Romney can continue to finance his campaign even he's smart enough to stop cutting checks when he sees the writing on the wall.

I could see Paul being promoted by the anti-McCain forces to slow down McCain, even if they know he can't actually be stopped. Paul would be a protest vote to remind McCain that conservatives disapprove of his sponsoring all those McCain-[insert Dem here] pieces of legislation. We could use that to our advantage. :)

gaazn
02-03-2008, 01:29 AM
if mccain does really well, romney and huckabee will quit after super tuesday because it would be politically wise for them to do so. if they stay in the race, they will be branded with the loser tag, making it hard for either to be VP or do a Presidential run later. If that's the scenario, can RP mathematically survive until Wisconsin votes? He would have to win Wisconsin and run the table afterwards. But the easiest candidate of the three to run the table against in a 2-person race is McCain. So many people in the GOP can't stand him.

peacemonger
02-03-2008, 02:05 AM
It is MUCH easier for us to beat McCain than it is for us to beat Romney. Romney is not stupid, but I really think McCain is unintelligent and emotionally unstable. If Romney does not do well on Tuesday, lets hope he drops out. I'm not expecting him to endorse Ron Paul but that would be cool too.

It would be cool if McCain was forced to debate Ron Paul. Ron Paul would absolutely destroy him in a one on one debate.

Grandson of Liberty
02-03-2008, 02:10 AM
I
It would be cool if McCain was forced to debate Ron Paul. Ron Paul would absolutely destroy him in a one on one debate.

That, my friend, is what I would pay big money to see!

dt_
02-03-2008, 02:15 AM
If Huck and Romney were to drop out, McCain would be presumed to have enough delegates to be the eventual nominee, and there would be no more debates. The media would totally ignore Paul and pronounce McCain the victor of the GOP nomination.

As unfair as that sounds, it's the truth, and the media for the most part refuses to acknowledge Ron Paul's candidacy. :(

kyleAF
02-03-2008, 02:35 AM
yep. we want them to stay in for a while, strategically speaking.

Ideally speaking: everyone drops out except Paul ;)

N13
02-03-2008, 02:40 AM
We need to continue to gain momentum and win a few states. The other three have big negatives and it will catch up to them. Notice how all the McCain haters are comming out of the woodpiles and out from under their rocks.

pacelli
02-03-2008, 02:45 AM
We need to continue to gain momentum and win a few states. The other three have big negatives and it will catch up to them. Notice how all the McCain haters are comming out of the woodpiles and out from under their rocks.

Agreed. Paul needs to win some states as #1. Dr. Paul is not going to take matching funds, whereas I think Huckabee's announcement that he will be staying in means that he has probably taken matching funds.

dblee
02-03-2008, 02:17 PM
as the other campaigns have run their coffers into the ground, they will do the same to our economy.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I just have to ponder this thought. Is McCain winning these early primaries and eliminating some of the others such a bad thing for the campaign? If we can stay in it until the Convention would the conservative part of the Republican Party actually allow McCain the nomination?

Right, because McCain's only popular with the people, and not popular with republican party insiders.

Ooops... switch McCain with Paul.