PDA

View Full Version : I am REALLY confused about Maine

patriotic_dad
02-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I have been reading the post here about how we are getting delegates, but I was just on Yahoo and MSN and both say that Romney won and will get the 18 delegates!! UH??

RufusTDoofus
02-02-2008, 11:41 PM
they are both wrong.

subdefective
They are confused, and I don't blame them for it. We will not know until May whom the delegates choose to get the delegate votes. They are mistakenly assuming that the winner of the unofficial presidential survey gets the votes, and that is not the case.

Pauls' Revere
I have been reading the post here about how we are getting delegates, but I was just on Yahoo and MSN and both say that Romney won and will get the 18 delegates!! UH??

with 68% reporting...3rd, 2% behind McCain.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#ME

RonPauledbyYoutube
02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
They are confused, and I don't blame them for it. We will not know until May whom the delegates choose to get the delegate votes. They are mistakenly assuming that the winner of the unofficial presidential survey gets the votes, and that is not the case.

How will this play out in the national convention???

How in the world does the GOP elect the nominee??

Doriath
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
http://www.villagesoup.com//Community/story.cfm?storyid=108225

Just FYI.

patriotic_dad
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Hope once the caucuses close that someone/something reports this more accurately.. Paul could use this exposure going into super Tuesday!! But with the history of MSM and Paul, highly unlikely.. This should be illegal! Misleading the public!

RonPauledbyYoutube
02-02-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.villagesoup.com//Community/story.cfm?storyid=108225

Just FYI.

This process is insane!!!

"This is not discouraging at all, as all indications are that we will have a majority of these state delegates in the May convention, which will be able to award Ron Paul the 18 national delegates."

But I'll give it a pass this time. ;)

RufusTDoofus
02-02-2008, 11:55 PM
The process actually makes sense. The whole purpose is to create the illusion that Maine is having some type of real impact on a National scale without actually doing much of anything that might piss off the RNC by holding caucuses prior to Super Tuesday. The only real "work" that's done today is the electing of delegates to the state convention. The presidential preference poll is complete fluff. It's a fabrication of sorts to grab headlines.

Molly1
02-02-2008, 11:57 PM
The process actually makes sense. The whole purpose is to create the illusion that Maine is having some type of real impact on a National scale without actually doing much of anything that might piss off the RNC by holding caucuses prior to Super Tuesday. The only real "work" that's done today is the electing of delegates to the state convention. The presidential preference poll is complete fluff. It's a fabrication of sorts to grab headlines.

Is this the first time you've done it this way? Did you move your caucuses up, too?

RonPauledbyYoutube
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM

If its not the people of Maine, who then elects the delegates???

RufusTDoofus
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
I think this is only the second or third time caucuses are being held for Republicans in the last 30 years. The last time around there was an incumbant running. Maine was a caucus state, then a primary state and sometime in the late 90s switched back to the caucus format. I think the parties like the caucus format better. IMO, it places more power in the control of the party elite. I wish Maine was a primary state.

BTW, I've only been living in Maine for 7 years. Prior to that I was in southern CA and OH.

Pauls' Revere
02-03-2008, 12:08 AM
The Maine Republican Party rules, however, do not bind state convention delegates to support a particular candidate. This means that the vote of presidential preference on Feb. 2 in Knox County will have no obligatory bearing on which candidates the delegates will support at the state convention.

From the link above THANKS!!
geez just when I think I got this caucasus thing down it changes state to state and party to party!

subdefective
02-03-2008, 12:11 AM

Maine townsfolk show up to local caucus > people in towns vote for their alloted number of delegates, people can nominate others or themselves > total delegates for Maine ~3000 or so > those 3000 delegates go to state convention in May > at the state the convention, 18 delegates from those 3000 are elected > those 18 delegates decide who gets Maine's delegates.

That's basically how it goes.. I may have missed a few finer points, but overall, it's the gist of it.

RufusTDoofus
02-03-2008, 12:13 AM

I didn't mention anything about people from outside Maine electing delegates. Sorry if that's how it came across.

The only "real" work accomplished today was the electing of Maine citizens be Maine Citizens to be delegates to the Maine Republican State Convention in May of 2008. Coincidentally, there also happened to be a straw poll/popularity contest/Presidential Preference Poll conducted at the same time.

This poll is what's being reported by the MSM. The poll is a very rough approximation of a candidate's support in Maine. The poll totals are not directly or proportionally related to the number of delegates elected to the State convention. They also have absolutely no bearing on the number of national delegates assigned to any particular candidate. It's all just fluff and it gives the MSM and other media talking heads something to flap their jaws about.

Also, Maine is not a winner-take-all state. It's irresponsible for the MSM to report that Romney has secured 18 delegates. ( I think the actual number is 21, 18 to be elected by the State convention and 3 for party big wigs like our two Senators and the State Republican Chair.)

Pauls' Revere
02-03-2008, 12:15 AM
sounds like alot of insider work to me

RufusTDoofus
02-03-2008, 12:17 AM
geez just when I think I got this caucasus thing down it changes state to state and party to party!

It's even crazier for the Dems. A big difference being that all the delegates for each town are allocated to a specific candidate going into the convention. They are binding only in the sense that they are required to vote for their designated candidate's national delegatges in the first round of voting at the State convention. Note also that the Democratic caucuses fall after Super Tuesday.

RonPauledbyYoutube
02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I didn't mention anything about people from outside Maine electing delegates. Sorry if that's how it came across.

The only "real" work accomplished today was the electing of Maine citizens be Maine Citizens to be delegates to the Maine Republican State Convention in May of 2008. Coincidentally, there also happened to be a straw poll/popularity contest/Presidential Preference Poll conducted at the same time.

This poll is what's being reported by the MSM. The poll is a very rough approximation of a candidate's support in Maine. The poll totals are not directly or proportionally related to the number of delegates elected to the State convention. They also have absolutely no bearing on the number of national delegates assigned to any particular candidate. It's all just fluff and it gives the MSM and other media talking heads something to flap their jaws about.

Also, Maine is not a winner-take-all state. It's irresponsible for the MSM to report that Romney has secured 18 delegates. ( I think the actual number is 21, 18 to be elected by the State convention and 3 for party big wigs like our two Senators and the State Republican Chair.)

So it's just a poll. Just like any other meaningless poll? It's just mind boggling.

Do the people in Maine know this???

I wouldn't go vote knowing that it doesn't decide crap. It's a waste of time. I'm going to sleep now!:o

FSP-Rebel
02-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I hope we get our delegates, but these party functions are complexly ridiculous.

RufusTDoofus
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM
So it's just a poll. Just like any other meaningless poll? It's just mind boggling.

Do the people in Maine know this???

I wouldn't go vote knowing that it doesn't decide crap. It's a waste of time. I'm going to sleep now!:o

I knew it. I also knew that I would most likely become a delegate simply by showing up. My wife and I were the only two people from our town to show up and by default we became the Chairperson and Secretary for our town. We're both delegates now. Our town can send up to 7 delegates to the State convention. My wife and I will be recruiting five other people to fill those open spots.

terryhamel
02-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Awesome, RtD. 7 delegates for Paul because the opposition failed to show!

Molly1
02-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Awesome, RtD. 7 delegates for Paul because the opposition failed to show!

90% of the battle is just showing up.

The other 10% is VOTE RON PAUL

terryhamel
02-03-2008, 03:58 AM
"...we can try to fill the empty seats so the the town sends all all of the delegates they are eligible for to the state convention in May. As Chair, you have the responsibility to communicate with the Maine GOP to get those other slots filled. I'd do is as quickly as possible before they fill those seats for you with people that couldn't make it to the caucus today."