PDA

View Full Version : So can I tell people we won Maine?

slamhead
02-02-2008, 10:57 PM
This is getting so damn confusing...can I safely tell people that we actually won main as we will be sending more delegates to the national convention?

tonyr1988
02-02-2008, 11:04 PM
They don't pick delegates to the national convention today - they pick delegates to the state convention. There, they will pick the 18 (?) delegates to the national convention.

Strike-Fighter
02-02-2008, 11:05 PM
I was hoping there'd be a "yes" or "no" here :(

Rangeley
02-02-2008, 11:11 PM
So far, it appears to be a yes. It looks like we have the most state delegates, who will, in May, elect the national delegates at the state convention. But because all delegates are officially unpledged until the convention, there will be no official results until then. We can, however, get information from those who have attended the caucuses, and this information shows us to be leading in delegates.

RufusTDoofus
02-02-2008, 11:18 PM
So far, it appears to be a yes. It looks like we have the most state delegates, who will, in May, elect the national delegates at the state convention. But because all delegates are officially unpledged until the convention, there will be no official results until then. We can, however, get information from those who have attended the caucuses, and this information shows us to be leading in delegates.

How many times have you typed that tonight? ;)

Rangeley
02-02-2008, 11:20 PM
How many times have you typed that tonight? ;)
Apperantly not enough. :rolleyes:

JimInNY
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Apperantly not enough. :rolleyes:

Just keep a copy of that on your clipboard. lol

Molly1
02-02-2008, 11:53 PM

The Maine Republican Party rules, however, do not bind state convention delegates to support a particular candidate. This means that the vote of presidential preference on Feb. 2 in Knox County will have no obligatory bearing on which candidates the delegates will support at the state convention.

Likewise, Maine's delegates to the Republican National Convention are not bound either. Because the delegates are not bound, the Republican candidate who wins in the presidential preference survey at Maine GOP caucuses will not be able to count that support toward their tally of 1,191 national delegates needed to clinch the nomination, according to The Green Papers website.

"We select [delegates] to go to the national convention," Chapman said. "We don't say you have to vote this way or that way." [IBID]

sssssh ron paul won maine.

diesirae
02-03-2008, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=Molly1;1162574]The Maine Republican Party rules, however, do not bind state convention delegates to support a particular candidate. This means that the vote of presidential preference on Feb. 2 in Knox County will have no obligatory bearing on which candidates the delegates will support at the state convention.

Likewise, Maine's delegates to the Republican National Convention are not bound either. Because the delegates are not bound, the Republican candidate who wins in the presidential preference survey at Maine GOP caucuses will not be able to count that support toward their tally of 1,191 national delegates needed to clinch the nomination, according to The Green Papers website.

"We select [delegates] to go to the national convention," Chapman said. "We don't say you have to vote this way or that way." [IBID]

What you just posted implies that we cannot know either way.

However, the fact remains that only 20% of the people electing those state delegates voted for Ron Paul. That is not an optimistic fact.

Strike-Fighter
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
So we can tell people we won, we just have to do it with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I'll take that

IPSecure
02-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Why not the MSM is lying, telling people we did not...

Molly1
02-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Why not the MSM is lying, telling people we did not...

yeah, they're even giving romney delegates that won't be committed until the national convention, so romney can't count them until they vote in the national convention, and he can't ever count them if they don't vote for him. Surprise!:cool:

Bilgefisher
02-03-2008, 01:37 AM
YES!

Were battling the "He can't win mentality". So far it looks like we may take the majority of delegates. Until we know officially how we do in May, you might as well tell them we won. Fight fire with fire. MSM reports winners with 0.2% of the vote in. We simply report the winner months early.

noztnac
02-04-2008, 08:12 AM
We didn't win Maine. Don't tell them that. We may have finished second. Someone has oversold the delegates concept to a lot of people on this forum. If it comes to the convention the Republican Party will make damned sure all of the delegates go to the perceived top guy. People don't seem to realize that ultimately the party can nominate anyone they want to. We need to start focusing on turning out more voters and quit pretending we are going to pull off some technicality in a brokered convention.

WilliamC
02-04-2008, 08:20 AM
We didn't win Maine. Don't tell them that. We may have finished second. Someone has oversold the delegates concept to a lot of people on this forum. If it comes to the convention the Republican Party will make damned sure all of the delegates go to the perceived top guy. People don't seem to realize that ultimately the party can nominate anyone they want to. We need to start focusing on turning out more voters and quit pretending we are going to pull off some technicality in a brokered convention.

This is what I've sort of feared all along.

As far as I can tell the Republicans can nominate whomever they want, delegates don't matter, the popular vote doesn't matter, polls don't matter.

All that matters is the people at the top and what they want.

Even if Ron Paul were to somehow get a majority of delegates at the National Convention I suspect the Republican Party would do whatever they needed to and make sure not to give him the nomination.

I don't know what the consenquences of this would be, but I think it is very likely to happen should Ron Paul look like he might carry the nomination playing by the rules.

They'll just change the rules to make him lose, like they did in LA.

MrCobaltBlue
02-04-2008, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=Molly1;1162574]The Maine Republican Party rules, however, do not bind state convention delegates to support a particular candidate. This means that the vote of presidential preference on Feb. 2 in Knox County will have no obligatory bearing on which candidates the delegates will support at the state convention.

What you just posted implies that we cannot know either way.

However, the fact remains that only 20% of the people electing those state delegates voted for Ron Paul. That is not an optimistic fact.

Actually a majority of Romneyites left after the Preference poll, thats on Dr. Paul got 30/59 delegates in Portland

SteveMartin
02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Right, and, because there was very loose (or non-existent, in some places) ID verification, they may have cleared out of there just after the vote because they weren't even from Maine! You can't ask to be a delegate (which was the next order of business) without that being exposed, because you have to provide your address, etc.

Rangeley
02-04-2008, 12:48 PM

I don't quite see your point, noztnac. On the one hand you say even if we win by the rules we will lose because they will disregard the rules, and then on the other hand you say we should focus on turning people out to vote rather than delegates... which would be negated by the first point.

If the party wants to ignore their own rules, like some beleive the LA GOP has, well then we will challenge them on those grounds and point it out, just as we challenge the government as it steps away from its constitution. If the Maine GOP does the same, we will challenge them too on these grounds. Until this happens though, I think we should hold off on the assumptions.

I know that you seem supportive of abandoning the Republican party, and perhaps I should be reading your points under the context of this perspective, ie, focus on turning out voters for a third party run rather than through the Republican process. If this is your point, it seems to disregard the difficulties put in place by the pre-existing parties against third parties. There is no escaping the "dreaded" parties you speak of, they will be involved in the process even if you try and make a new one.

That is why there are many within this movement, including Ron Paul himself, who understand that the best solution is to work within the Republican Party and reform it. Work within the system rather than against it - because if we leave the system in place it will make it nearly impossible to work around it. Changing the system itself through involvement within the party is not only the best, but could very well be the only means to achieve success.

literatim
02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Right, and, because there was very loose (or non-existent, in some places) ID verification, they may have cleared out of there just after the vote because they weren't even from Maine! You can't ask to be a delegate (which was the next order of business) without that being exposed, because you have to provide your address, etc.

As I said before, it stinks of a repeat of Nevada. It doesn't really matter though, we will have the most state delegates in both States.

cjhowe
02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Didn't Mark Elam say in the trianing video:

"I have never lost a contest where I had 85% of the delegates in the room and I have never won a contest where I only had 15% of the delegates in the room"

Think about it.

MicheleFloyd
02-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Go for it, but be careful with your wording. Chances are no one you tell will remember what the Maine delegates did unless they're ardent Ron Paul supporters, like us.

RonRules
02-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Let's hope Romney flunks out on Super Tuesday. Those delegates will be OURS!

Vet_from_cali
02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
This is what I've sort of feared all along.

As far as I can tell the Republicans can nominate whomever they want, delegates don't matter, the popular vote doesn't matter, polls don't matter.

All that matters is the people at the top and what they want.

Even if Ron Paul were to somehow get a majority of delegates at the National Convention I suspect the Republican Party would do whatever they needed to and make sure not to give him the nomination.

I don't know what the consenquences of this would be, but I think it is very likely to happen should Ron Paul look like he might carry the nomination playing by the rules.

They'll just change the rules to make him lose, like they did in LA.

pretttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sey.Naci
02-04-2008, 06:38 PM
This is getting so damn confusing...can I safely tell people that we actually won maine as we will be sending more delegates to the national convention?Well, if McWar can tell people he won LA, which isn't true, then...

SteveMartin
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
YEP...I'd do it!

SteveMartin
02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Be sure to say that the best indication we have is that RP won the most delegate seats to the state convention where the winner is chosen on 5/3/08.

enrique
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd caution people to cheer for a quick Romney exit. If Romney drops out of the race by the state convention time, then Ron Paul probably won't have a chance at winning because everyone else will vote for the 'winner'. That is, of course, if Ron Paul doesn't have an absolute majority of delegates which it sounds like he doesn't.

I think it is much more likely that McCain and other delegates will vote for Paul rather than Romney to keep Romney from gaining any extra delegates to the national convention.

Read more where I blog (http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/redstate_commentary/2008/02/ron-paul-campai.html).

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-04-2008, 10:57 PM
This sounds good.