PDA

View Full Version : The CONSTITUTION

ziggrl
02-02-2008, 09:08 PM
I hope they still teach about the CONSTITUTION in school. Do they? I graduated from high school in 1979. I don't recall them teaching it then. I may have been imbibing a little too much.

Is this generation even taught about our founding fathers and the constitution, the federalist papers, the amendments????

Scott Wilson
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
They teach it soundbyte style.

I doubt they teach about the Federalist Papers, John Locke, Plato vs Aristotle etc.

I heard Hillary the other day saying how important the Constitution is and yet just about everything she advocates is unconstitutional. Hypocrisy and rhetoric.

Few people read and THINK about what they read.

InLoveWithRon
02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
If people just understood that whenever the US got further away from the constitution, we had alot of problems, wars, and a bad economy.. And whenever we adhered to the constitution, the country prospered greatly!! And this is through all of US history..

It's really quite simple.. If people just grasped that fact, the constitution talk Ron Paul advocates would sink in so much deeper.. The constitution is the symbolic rulebook of freedom and prosperity. It's just that simple..

Richandler
02-02-2008, 11:10 PM
They show kids what is in it, but they don't go over what it means or examples where it can be violated.

slantedview
02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
when i was in high school a little less than 10 years ago, we touched lightly on john locke. not too much other stuff though.

Alawn
02-03-2008, 11:59 AM
They don't teach it anymore. My sister was talking to someone who graduated from high school with good grades and mentioned the Constitution and she said, "What's that?" After explaining what it was she said, "What?" Apparently she had no clue what it was.

SWATH
02-03-2008, 12:04 PM
My civics teacher was very anti-gun ans even had the Bill of Rights on the wall that had all but the 2nd amendment! When I asked her about it, she said "it was archaic and now we have the National Guard, so it's essentially gone"! This was in 1995.

pacelli
02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Went I went through the educational industrial complex, they taught it as a historical document rather than the law of the land.

A. Havnes
02-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I graduated in 2004, and it was a messed up school, believe me. We read the Constitution, but that was about as much as we did. We also read the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independents, and Thomas Paine's works, but we really didn't discuss them much.

Then again, the whole lesson in civics class was messed up. The teachers there are all democrats, and I remember having a test in ninth grade where we had to specifically say that democrats favor small government and that republicans wanted a monarchy and big government. We would fail the test otherwise. It was terrible! No wonder the youth around here think Hillary is awesome!

ToryNotion
02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
The constitution! Eck. Doesn't it say certain people only count as 3/5 of a person! Kidding. We'd have been better off if the Anti-Federalists had won the debate.

Ara825
02-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I lived in CA during my school days and started high school in 1967. Back in those days in CA, you were required to pass the Constitution test before you could graduate into high school. I remember my 8th grade history class covering nothing but the Constitution for the whole school year. We were also required to suit up and participate in physical fitness which doesn't appear to be the rule these days. Things have certainly changed in our education system. It amazes me that today students in the public school system are taught almost nothing except basic reading, writing and arithmetic.

mokkan88
02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
They teach the Constitution as a document that provides for your rights, not as the document that restricts the government.

sicsempertyrannis2008
02-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I take AP US History in one of the better public schools in the country (that's still not saying much) and we learned about the general idea behind the Consitution (a more centralized framework was need after the Articles of the Confederation) but that is about it.

I study it mostly on my own and can school my teacher in any Constitution-related question.

ziggrl
02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
They don't teach it anymore. My sister was talking to someone who graduated from high school with good grades and mentioned the Constitution and she said, "What's that?" After explaining what it was she said, "What?" Apparently she had no clue what it was.

Was this in a border state?!!! (conspiracy looming . . . . )

Alawn
02-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Was this in a border state?!!! (conspiracy looming . . . . )

How did you know lol? CA

kutibah
02-03-2008, 09:41 PM
We learned all about John Locke, Federalist Papers, Constitution, etc but it wasn't deep. Just a week or two in class. Then again it was AP US History and we test a new chapter every week...

Ginobili
02-03-2008, 09:45 PM
What the hell is a constitution? Does it increase your health by +5?

hillbilly
02-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I hope they still teach about the CONSTITUTION in school. Do they? I graduated from high school in 1979. I don't recall them teaching it then. I may have been imbibing a little too much.

Is this generation even taught about our founding fathers and the constitution, the federalist papers, the amendments????

Heh. My daughter very recently recruited her American history teacher......11th grade. He's now a Ron Paul supporter.

She sure taught him a thing or 2.

:D

jsu718
02-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I teach a high school math lab in a computer lab. It is combined with a credit recovery class, and on the wall every day I get to look at not only the Bill of Rights, but the Declaration of Independence, a timeline of US History, and various other bits of things that you all would be concerned about that they do indeed still teach. Whether or not it gets learned is a whole other issue. I read the entirety of The Federalist Papers and Common Sense in high school Government class. Maybe we here in Texas teach that stuff more than other states...