PDA

View Full Version : Would you give up your favorite government program if you never had to pay income tax

Jeremy
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
This was a good question Linda Goldthorpe, a RP supporter running for congress ( http://www.lindagoldthorpe.com/ ), asks on her site and I decided to make it a poll here too.

cheese
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
favorite government program? wtf are you talking about? All i want from the government is a strong military and freedom. fuck these programs.

Edit: in response to to some replies: NASA is crucial to our national defense and military (this is ron paul's stance) and is not some program we'd like to have but don't need.

theantirobot
02-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I can't think of any program the federal government runs that benefits me.

freedom-maniac
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd say NASA is my favorite, but no since some major companies have began developing programs, we don't need it any more.

Jeremy
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
favorite government program? wtf are you talking about? All i want from the government is a strong military and freedom. fuck these programs.

I think the question is mostly for people who aren't all about really small government like us, lol

Xenophage
02-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I have no favorite "programs." So... uh....

Wyurm
02-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I said yes, but I have no favorite government program

FSP-Rebel
02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
It's the main question Harry Browne used to ask when he was campaigning in '96 & '00 as the LP nominee.

daviddee
02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I receive no Federal Benefits... and I pay over 35% of my money to the government in Income taxes... plus another truck load in Social Security, Medicaid, and I have to match it.

So yeah, I would love to have that money back as I receive no value/services for my money.

On a local level it is a different story... I pay that in property tax, gas tax, sales tax, etc.

Needless to say, "I pay my fair share"... as the democrats like to say. I lived in Europe for a time and our taxes are no different... if not worse (depending on country)

Cindy
02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't have a favorite government program. I want them all to go.

I'll elect to pay just half of the income tax I pay now just to get rid of them all.

Dequeant
02-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Favorite government program? The only thing i want from government is to defend our nation from a military attack by another nation. Every single thing else needs to go.

dblee
02-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Federal student aid.

sw33tbabiblu3
02-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't get any special government program.

In theory, you are paying income tax for a service. Once you stop receiving that service, or never have received a service, you start becoming angry and don't want to pay anymore.

Richandler
02-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I can't think of any program the federal government runs that benefits me.

Same here.

Dr.3D
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't get any special government service, so I can't really give any up.

I just want Uncle Sam to get his stupid hand out of my wallet!

TSOL
02-02-2008, 08:21 PM
GOVERNMENT sucks.

Privatize all of it.

tekmo
02-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Nothing the government has done has really benefited me.

joelmatton
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I would continue driving on government roads, and I would continue using government water (i.e. tap water). So whatever programs build the roads and handle the water and sewers, I would not give up those. Although I guess I could have my own water tank, depending on where I lived.

merrimac
02-02-2008, 08:29 PM
The question should be "would you give up your least hated government program..." cause favorite means there's a part that I like.

Steve4RP
02-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Yes I would...and I'm hooked on that free government surplus cheese.

WilliamC
02-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Turn the question around.

What government programs do you like so much that you send extra money, over and above what you legally owe, to the IRS so that they can fund them?

When the person says "why none of course" ask them why not.

It usually shuts them up pretty good from arguing that the government must do XY or Z.

RonPaulwillWin
02-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Come to think of it I don't even have a favorite gov. program.

PepperdotNet
02-02-2008, 08:40 PM
My favorite government program is the "Job Training so the employees of the former IRS can find a new job in the free market" program - but that could be privatized, no problem.

Ara825
02-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Income tax is theft. In 1955 the IRS came into my home and took the food out of our kitchen because my father owed them money. I was just a little kid but I remember it. I hate the IRS so much that for years I settled for a lower wage to get cash under the table to keep from feeding that monster. There was a five year period in which I worked as a waitress. I was required to claim all my tips so I could give the guberment its share. If I did not claim enough I found when I received my W2 that the good ole guberment allocated the amount of my tips to justify what they felt they should get.

I hate the IRS

PimpBlimp
02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
my favorite federal government program is the national parks. I could live without them though.

sharedvoice
02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I have no favorite government program...

Staupostek
02-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I would continue driving on government roads, and I would continue using government water (i.e. tap water). So whatever programs build the roads and handle the water and sewers, I would not give up those. Although I guess I could have my own water tank, depending on where I lived.

When I was young, everyone who didn't live in the city had a well and septic tank. Now, it seems like the government is running water and sewer lines all over the country and requiring people to hook into it. So, even the places where government doesn't touch you, they are making sure to find you and force you to get everything through them. I say get rid of all of these kinds of services and let us take care of ourselves.

evadmurd
02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Isn't that like giving up your least favorite sin for lent?

Staupostek
02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
my favorite federal government program is the national parks. I could live without them though.

Wouldn't groups like the Sierra Club and such buy these lands up and keep them as parks? I think this would be a good thing since the government already owns so much of the land in America.

Cindy
02-02-2008, 08:56 PM

They could be privatized by preservation foundations and still run off of donations and park entrance fees

Soccrmastr
02-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I've seen a Discovery Channel documentary where some space-companies and people were being hindered by NASA.

The market will always do better.

daviddee
02-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Income tax is theft. In 1955 the IRS came into my home and took the food out of our kitchen because my father owed them money. I was just a little kid but I remember it. I hate the IRS so much that for years I settled for a lower wage to get cash under the table to keep from feeding that monster. There was a five year period in which I worked as a waitress. I was required to claim all my tips so I could give the guberment its share. If I did not claim enough I found when I received my W2 that the good ole guberment allocated the amount of my tips to justify what they felt they should get.

I hate the IRS

Similar story... IRS raided my grandfather's business. Took all the equipment, dump trucks, pickup trucks, etc. They then moved to the house... removed him and my grandmother... auctioned everything.

Broke at age 50... worse than broke as they still handed him a bill after it was said and done.

He made most it back by the time he retired... but swore that if they ever came to the house again there would be 1 less group of agents working for the IRS. Can not repeat the exact quote as the moderators on this board have become very touchy about the mere mention of something that could be deemed "violent".

daviddee
02-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Wouldn't groups like the Sierra Club and such buy these lands up and keep them as parks? I think this would be a good thing since the government already owns so much of the land in America.

Yes Sierra Club would buy some, the states would buy some of them, real estate developers would buy some, private citizens, foreign entities, etc. etc.

The deal is that the US government is the largest land owner in the USA.

The USA could wipe out its debt and fund all of the entitlement programs... if they just sold off the land holdings.

newmedia4ron
02-03-2008, 01:35 AM
charity

gaazn
02-03-2008, 01:38 AM
I admit I like the NPS, national park system. I truly believe that without it, if we let the market decide, then the parks will be gone. Look at all the Revolutionary War and Civil War battlefields that are shrinking or disappearing. The government needs to be smaller, but not too small that the state and local governments become the tyrannical.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Well it would be hard to get me to give up NASA! :)

Myerz
02-03-2008, 01:55 AM
I'd say NASA is my favorite, but no since some major companies have began developing programs, we don't need it any more.

If we had given the space program to FREE MARKETS we would have already been to MARS!

daviddee
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
I admit I like the NPS, national park system. I truly believe that without it, if we let the market decide, then the parks will be gone. Look at all the Revolutionary War and Civil War battlefields that are shrinking or disappearing. The government needs to be smaller, but not too small that the state and local governments become the tyrannical.

Historical sites are 1 thing... 1/2 the country is another.

I need to research the number, but I believe the US govt owns half the land in the USA.

http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/feb_2002/corridors_of_wilderness.htm

The above link states 28% of the total land is controlled by the government...

The Federal Government controls: 657,000,000 acres (657 MILLION ACRES).

This obviously does not include the lands controlled by states and local governments.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-03-2008, 01:57 AM
If we had given the space program to FREE MARKETS we would have already been to MARS!

Yeah right! I don't think so. That's like saying we could leave the military up to markets. There are a few limited things that government can do well, and space exploration is one of them.

BuddyRey
02-03-2008, 02:14 AM
I've been asked this question before and, forgive me for playing Devil's Advocate, but I think it's based on a false premise; chiefly, that one who believes in the necessity of certain government programs only does so out of self-interest. There are a lot of people out there who have no need for government programs, but want them for other people out of charitable spirit. Whether or not this is a misguided worldview is up for debate, but most people I hear advocating government programs (and I don't just mean politicians, but normal people) do so for those less fortunate than themselves.

Ara825
02-03-2008, 02:39 AM
Similar story... IRS raided my grandfather's business. Took all the equipment, dump trucks, pickup trucks, etc. They then moved to the house... removed him and my grandmother... auctioned everything.

Broke at age 50... worse than broke as they still handed him a bill after it was said and done.

He made most it back by the time he retired... but swore that if they ever came to the house again there would be 1 less group of agents working for the IRS. Can not repeat the exact quote as the moderators on this board have become very touchy about the mere mention of something that could be deemed "violent".

My great grandfather's farm was in Grayson County, TX. The govt condemed his land, then flooded it when they built the Dension Dam to create Lake Texoma. That land is now part of the Hagerman Oil Field. And don't even get me started on my ancestors and the Trail of Tears.

zmyrick19
02-03-2008, 02:46 AM
I've been asked this question before and, forgive me for playing Devil's Advocate, but I think it's based on a false premise; chiefly, that one who believes in the necessity of certain government programs only does so out of self-interest. There are a lot of people out there who have no need for government programs, but want them for other people out of charitable spirit. Whether or not this is a misguided worldview is up for debate, but most people I hear advocating government programs (and I don't just mean politicians, but normal people) do so for those less fortunate than themselves.

But, the thing to consider is: Should everyone be forced to give toward a cause just because a minority wants to give?

Dr. Paul would advocate individuals giving privately and no government intervention.

Ronin
02-03-2008, 03:01 AM
OP - I don't rely on the government. The government relies on me.

Ronin
02-03-2008, 03:15 AM
But, the thing to consider is: Should everyone be forced to give toward a cause just because a minority wants to give?

Dr. Paul would advocate individuals giving privately and no government intervention.

Exactly. Take someone who's tax dollars/national debt is subsidizing a number of programs for other people. Because of these taxes, he doesn't have money for food, etc. You are thus punishing this person for the welfare of another.

Under this welfare state philosophy, the government's solution to the above problem would be to help this person pay for his food, etc. It's never ending.

Historical sites are 1 thing... 1/2 the country is another.

I need to research the number, but I believe the US govt owns half the land in the USA.

http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/feb_2002/corridors_of_wilderness.htm

The above link states 28% of the total land is controlled by the government...

The Federal Government controls: 657,000,000 acres (657 MILLION ACRES).

This obviously does not include the lands controlled by states and local governments.

The parks service has one of the largest budgets in the whole federal gov't. It is also one of the few programs that generate money.

AggieforPaul
02-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Pragmatically speaking, I wouldn't do it right now. I get way more in student grants than I pay in taxes. But I'd happily pay for college myself if it meant I never had to pay an income tax when i started working.

PauliticsPolitics
02-03-2008, 03:23 AM

When I was young, everyone who didn't live in the city had a well and septic tank. Now, it seems like the government is running water and sewer lines all over the country and requiring people to hook into it. So, even the places where government doesn't touch you, they are making sure to find you and force you to get everything through them. I say get rid of all of these kinds of services and let us take care of ourselves.

HEY PEOPLE - - ROADS AND WATER ARE ALMOST 100% RUN BY STATES, CITIES, AND PRIVATE COMPANIES! THIS IS NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

We are talking about federal government here. The role of your city and state is local politics, and way more crucial.