View Full Version : Hearts VS. Minds

ike
02-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Someone on another message board just posted a link to this Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

This was my reply:

Yes, very moving.

But how?

For anyone supporting Obama, why? He's inspiring, sure, but what does he want to do? How does he want to do? The closest thing I've seen to any actually policy information on Obama is that from the National Taxpayer's Unions. After crunching the numbers, they report Obama would increase federal spending by $287 Billion. That's nearly $1000 per citizen in the United States. I have a family of five. I can't afford an extra $5000 in taxes every year.

The Federal government is currently more involved in the lives of American citizens than at any point in American history. Are we better off for it? the middle class is shrinking, actually disappearing. The kneejerk response is "corporate money in Washington and corporate greed". There's a lot of truth to that, but why is that lobbyist money in Washington? Because of how much money goes THROUGH Washington. If government were returned to constitutional levels (serving the functions that it is authorized to serve by the constitution), why would lobbyists be in Washington? They wouldn't be able to buy a plan like Medicaid Part D.

When did "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their neighbor" turn into "Now is the time to forget your neighbors and hope the government bails them out?"

Why does all of this money have to go through the bureaucracy of Washington? Why can't this money stay in the places people live for the people to make up their own minds how to spend it? If people want their local governments to help the poor in their communities, how much more efficient would it be for their taxes to go straight to their cities instead of the filter and inefficiency of Washington.

I just want to know. If you you support Obama, why? If you support Clinton, why? McCain, Huckabee, Romney, Paul, why?

It feels great to be moved by an inspirational leader, but there has to be more to it than a feel good charismatic leader. What what is it? Honestly, I really want to know why you support whoever you support.

Moments later she edited her initial post to the title, "There's nothing here", removed the link, and changed the body of the message to, "I shouldn't have posted if I wasn't ready for a debate. I only like to talk politics face to face."

Why can't I get anyone to give me a real answer about why they are supporting their candidate?