PDA

View Full Version : City of Portland FINALLY finished

CGMike
02-02-2008, 07:09 PM
The City of Portland had a 6 hour caucus. The Romney Camp was fighting us tooth and nail! The straw poll results were announced earlier, but I can say we have a slim majority of the delegates here in the City (59 total approx 30 paul del) and I was elected as the delegate chair to the convention.

What sealed the deal for our camp was actually a "semi-slate" that one of the Romney paid staffers yelled out as people were casting their ballots. We voted for delegates by their number on the ballot, and had agreed earlier that any ballot having more than 59 names on it would be counted as invalid. This Romney staffer circulated a list of 23 names that spoke in favor of Dr. Paul, leaving a list of 65 names. At least a dozen ballots were thrown out because of this. Dirty tricks continue yes, but we prevailed for once.

Rangeley
02-02-2008, 07:11 PM
This is huge! Congratulations, and thanks to you and all those who helped win Portland!

dirka
02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
so how did McCain do??

Doriath
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Great news!

Copperhed51
02-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Awesome, how did McCain do there?

MrCobaltBlue
02-02-2008, 09:06 PM
McCain had only a few supporters there.

Did we get delegate chair? I had to leave for a prior engagement (plus my gf was getting bitchy because she was hungry) so I'm sorry I didn't get to finish. But I should be an alternate delegate!

bkreigh
02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
(plus my gf was getting bitchy because she was hungry)

ROFL! You should have told her to wait in the car! There is no crying in politics (unless your Hillary).

I nominated my wife as a delegate without her knowledge! She got it to. Since she was already pissed you should have gone the extra mile and put her name on the ballot :D

and yeah mike said the got the chair!

MrCobaltBlue
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
ROFL! You should have told her to wait in the car! There is no crying in politics (unless your Hillary).

I nominated my wife as a delegate without her knowledge! She got it to. Since she was already pissed you should have gone the extra mile and put her name on the ballot :D

and yeah mike said the got the chair!

Haha she's already a Delegate (an alternate but still a delegate)

bkreigh
02-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Haha she's already a Delegate (an alternate but still a delegate)

Awesome. Ill see you at the convention then!

BreakYourChains
02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow! Great job!

petros153
02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
hahaha, you guys are great!

kickzman
02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Wow nice job guys!

bucfish
02-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Nice

josephadel_3
02-02-2008, 09:43 PM
This is great we have about "30 Ron Paul Delegates." Great job on your speech too. I was amazed at the question asking you if you would blindly support the republican party. You handled it well. I was glad that Romneybot had his plan backfire.

bkreigh
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
This is great we have about "30 Ron Paul Delegates." Great job on your speech too. I was amazed at the question asking you if you would blindly support the republican party. You handled it well. I was glad that Romneybot had his plan backfire.

What was his answer?

josephadel_3
02-02-2008, 09:48 PM
What was his answer?

I'll let him elaborate. Something to the degree that we are unbound delegates.

bkreigh
02-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Actually, why the hell were they asking questions during that speech. I thought it was tell your piece and sit down. Its not a dang debate. If it pulled a few votes good but I dont think that was the time or place for questions.

SVS2K
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Great job!!!!! :D

therealjjj77
02-02-2008, 10:40 PM
I agree that our biggest threat is Romney. Not John McCain.

Those who want to see a Mormon president are fervently(and blindly) supporting his cause. McCain supporters are mostly old people who don't try out for delegate spots.

FireofLiberty
02-03-2008, 06:14 AM
The City of Portland had a 6 hour caucus. The Romney Camp was fighting us tooth and nail! The straw poll results were announced earlier, but I can say we have a slim majority of the delegates here in the City (59 total approx 30 paul del) and I was elected as the delegate chair to the convention.

What sealed the deal for our camp was actually a "semi-slate" that one of the Romney paid staffers yelled out as people were casting their ballots. We voted for delegates by their number on the ballot, and had agreed earlier that any ballot having more than 59 names on it would be counted as invalid. This Romney staffer circulated a list of 23 names that spoke in favor of Dr. Paul, leaving a list of 65 names. At least a dozen ballots were thrown out because of this. Dirty tricks continue yes, but we prevailed for once.

Could you explain the "semi-slate" better?

Sarge
02-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Great Job,

For those that have yet to go to caucus they need to read and expect the same tricks from Romney supporters.

Be prepared.

All Seeing Eye
02-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Congaatulations everyone...well done! You have done us all proud!

ItsTime
02-03-2008, 07:53 AM
How is Romney picking up all the votes but failing to get the delegates?

btwilli1
02-03-2008, 08:01 AM
explain the semi slate!

literatim
02-03-2008, 10:21 AM

Bringing in out-of-staters is the most likely reason.

MrCobaltBlue
02-03-2008, 11:33 AM

One Romney supporter made a motion to move the Presidential Preference Poll up to like #5 on the agenda (after electing the Caucus leaders and such) and then after that was finished most of them left.

subdefective
02-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Bringing in out-of-staters is the most likely reason.

That is not possible. You have to be a registered Republican in the town you were caucusing for to get a ballot. If you were unregistered, you could register at the caucus, but then you had to provide proof of identification and residence.

The real reason Romney didn't get the delegates is because the Romney supporters aren't as active and committed as Paul supporters. They don't want to go spend a weekend at the state capitol and then possibly have to go the national convention - that's a lot of time, effort, and commitment. The Romney supporters have just enough commitment to show up on a Saturday and vote, but not do any of the other stuff we are willing to do.

For instance, in my town caucus, nobody wanted to be a delegate. Myself and other Paul supporters easily were able to gain spots because the chairwoman practically had to beg for people to sign up.

makrothymia
02-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Congratulations!

I'm passing this on to encourage others!

CGMike
02-03-2008, 04:05 PM
The semi slate went like this...

Portland has 59 delegates and 88 people ran for delegate positions. At the beginning of the caucus a rule was adopted stating that any ballot with more than 59 names on it would be considered invalid

Each delegate candidate had to make a 30 second speech about why we wanted to be a delegate to the convention in Augusta. We all were given a number corresponding to our number on the printed ballot used to vote so during your speech you said "I'm so and so and my number is #24"

The Romney Staffer was in the back taking down all our numbers (we all said we were Ron Paul Republicans somewhere in our speeches so our people knew who to vote for. After the speeches were finished 23 of us had spoke in favor of Dr. Paul, so this Romney staffer announced to the room I have the Anti-RP slate here (combining all the other speakers and those on the ballot who didn't speak at all (some of which were our supporters who had to leave early) leaving them with a list of 65 names on the ballot who were "supposidely anti-RP" Quite a few of the sheeple circled all 65 of these numbers

In the meantime we had our own lists circulating with about 35 numbers who were identified as our supporters. And we told our people to ONLY vote for our numbers. The vote was close enough that those ballots that were tossed certainly made the difference (I was observing the counting of the ballots and saw it firsthand)

hellsingfan
02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
hell ya beaten at their own game!!! Haha, great job guys. This is the best story I've heard!

jsu718
02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
That's pretty awesome that their stupidity backfired on them. Freedom trumps ignorance once again.

Sarge
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I wish someone had recorded this.

That is a fraudulent attempt to sway voters. People need to start calling, the ROMNEY people out, for what they are trying to do.

All other caucus states need to start taking them to task when they try to pull these dirty tricks.

Some should try to spread the word in the Maine media about the dirty tricks they are trying to pull. That is, if they will print anything.

Oyate
02-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Wow. So the Romney guy leads the "anti-RP" vote. Not the pro-Romney but the anti-RP faction. Talk about a fight for the heart and soul of the GOP.

Like dudes. These people so hate us.

Crickett
02-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Wow. So the Romney guy leads the "anti-RP" vote. Not the pro-Romney but the anti-RP faction. Talk about a fight for the heart and soul of the GOP.

Like dudes. These people so hate us.

Yeah..really weird they had to have an ANTI-RP thing..that is unreal. I knew they played dirty pool tho, by what the y did in FL at that straw poll. Romney ites show JUST how dirty their own candidate is..yikes..

Xyrus2
02-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Wow. Just Wow.

Good jobs guys. Let's keep it going strong. :)

~X~

dawnbt
02-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Great job!!!