PDA

View Full Version : Mason City Globe Gazzete Awesome Write up of Ron's visit

Razmear
08-07-2007, 02:31 AM
http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2007/08/07/local/doc46b7f41cbff51523507641.txt

Paul believes country’s freedom and prosperity are threatened
By DEB NICKLAY, deb.nicklay@globegazette.com

MASON CITY — Ron Paul’s campaign bus parked outside The Music Man Square on Monday night said “Say Yes to Dr. No.”

That’s just what Mason City did.

About 100 people turned out to hear the Republican presidential candidate at his town meeting.

The “Dr. No” part became immediately apparent as the 71-year-old Texas congressman began asking the audience to say “no” to the Iraq War, to abortion and to a large federal bureaucracy he said creates overspending, inflation, a broken stock market and uneasiness among Americans.

“Our country is unique ... we have the greatest amount of freedom and prosperity of any country, and yet I believe our freedom and prosperity is threatened,” he said.

“We’ve believed too long that our freedom comes our government ... our freedom, however, comes from our Creator.”

His years as a gynecologist taught him, he said, that abortion at any stage is wrong.

“Life is sacred. The most obscene thing government could do is to ... use your money to commit abortion,” he said to loud applause.

He said the upholding of the Roe vs. Wade decision by the U.S. Supreme Court helped to form an American attitude harmful to children.

“When you consider our careless attitude about the unborn ... why is it so strange to see how our society is abusive to children?”

Paul said the growth of the federal government has created massive programs such as Social Security, which creates a drain on the national budget. He believes in the free market and said young people today can save for the future rather than rely on Social Security.

“We have to move to a free society — the middle class is threatened; our standard of living has been eroded. We have some serious problems because we believe government will take care of it.”

Involvement in the Iraq War was also ill-advised and today costs taxpayers “a trillion dollars a year.”

“Sometimes it just bewild-ers me why people around the world don’t approve of our imposition on their land,” he said, adding that if “the Chinese came to America and told us how to live, we would want to shoot them, too.”

“My suggestion is that we change our foreign policy, (adhere) to the Constitution, stay out of entangling alliances and bring our troops home,” he said to loud applause.

Paul called for the elimination of the Internal Revenue Service, instead favoring a Fair Tax, a national sales tax, in lieu of corporate and personal taxes.

Paul called himself “a reluctant candidate” who “is a lot less reluctant than I was six months ago,” given the growth of support he said he has, especially among young people.

Eli
08-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Awesome!
we need to make sure to all send her thank you letters.

spacebetween
08-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Watch the video of Ron Paul in Mason City... then watch Rudy Giuliani.

What does he talk about?

He should be elected because the Democrats have Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. Wow. You're so electable, tRudy.

There is such a sharp contrast between his unintelligent garbage and Dr. Paul's wisdom. :cool:

EDIT: I wish Ron could say all of these things in those darn DEBATES!!

Razmear
08-07-2007, 02:48 AM
I was also watching the vid to see if the count was accurate, looked like 5 seats on each side of the isle, and about 10 rows deep, so 'about 100' seems like the true number.
Nice to see an honest reporter out there :)

eb

Thomas_Paine
08-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Excellent article. I became a member to leave positive feedback to the author and to correct a mistake in the article where they say that Ron Paul supports the "Fair Tax" (an honest mistake in my opinion, Ron Paul was not allowed to speak about Taxes in last debate unfortunately not everyone knows his tax proposals.

RPatTheBeach
08-07-2007, 05:32 AM
I thought Dr. Paul wanted to replace the IRS with NOTHING, not the Fair Tax.

Otherwise, great piece

Lois
08-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Yikes! I hate to be negative, but only 100 people???

There should be hundreds, a thousand, at any event Ron Paul appears at now!! We have got to get the word out!

rich34
08-07-2007, 06:47 AM
100 people imo is a lot considering it's just a townhall meeting not like the big events they've been putting on around the country. Plus these events are going on through the week.

sickmint79
08-07-2007, 07:03 AM
i believe he has stated that if it came up he would vote for it, but his definite real goal is personal income tax elimination.

ksuguy
08-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I think the Fair Tax would be a good first step towards elimination. If people were reminded of how much money the government was stealing every time they bought something, they might be more inclined to fix the system.

ARealConservative
08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Yikes! I hate to be negative, but only 100 people???

There should be hundreds, a thousand, at any event Ron Paul appears at now!! We have got to get the word out!

These small Iowa towns aren't going to produce a big crowd. Brownback get 12 people at his event. 100 people in Mason City is a nice crowd.

I don't understand the campaign decisions though. They are completely avoiding the largest county and second largest city in Iowa for some reason.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Why the bad lighting in the video?