PDA

View Full Version : Why Caucus results on TV mean nothing?

Elijah
02-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I have seen evidence that many do not understand how the process works. Hopefully this helps some more people out. This was just sent to me an hour ago by Bonnie here in Colorado. She makes it very clear with her email how it works.

Enjoy........

Last night at the Ron Paul rally, I had quite a few inquires as to how we, here in Colorado, are going to monitor the Straw Poll vote on caucus night to assure accurate counts.

In short...we can't! We don't have RP people in every caucus, (we are trying though!) and to be bluntly honest...THE STRAW POLL DOES NOT MEAN DIDDLY SQUAT!!!

A straw poll is a media means to attempt to show that a state is leaning towards a certain candidate. That's it! Media! IT'S THE DELEGATES THAT GET ELECTED THAT REALLY MATTER.

For example, you have a caucus that has 8 delegate spots available. That's really 16 spots, for that means there is also 8 alternate spots available too.

You walk in with 13 people that have ALL committed to becoming a delegate. You get there, and there are 33 Mitt people. Now it comes time for the Straw poll, and Mitt takes it with 33 votes. So what?

Now it's time for the delegates to be elected. You and all 13 others get delegate positions. Mitt's people only had 1 person committed to becoming a delegate, so all 33 of them vote for the 1. Do you see where this is going?

Tally of delegates (the votes that REALLY counts)
Mitt Romney - 1
Ron Paul - 14
Undecided PC's - 2

We just WON that precinct! AND we lost the irrelevant straw poll.

Of course, we will work our hardest to sway the undecided 2 delegates to come to the light!!!

The Old Media insisted that New Hampshire and Iowa would decide the nominee; however, they are but two states and neither are particularly representative of the nation at large, nor are they loaded with delegates. In fact, the Iowa caucuses didn't commit any delegates for the national convention. The real delegates won't be determined until June. A lot can happen between now and June. In Colorado, the real delegates will not be determined until May 30 & 31!

I hope this helps you understand how important becoming a delegate is for Dr. Paul, and how unimportant (only for media show) a Straw Poll is. Voting in a straw poll only, will NOT get Dr. Paul onto the ballot.

10 hours. 2 next Tuesday, and 8 on Mar 1 (in Douglas County), to secure your freedom and your children's future.

You decide...

Here's to my hero, President Paul!
Bonnie

Mordan
02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I love Caucuses!
Primaries are for sheeps watching TV.

freelance
02-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I get that it's more important to win the delegates, but there is something that I don't understand. In caucus states, does the straw poll win or the delegate win count as a win in the eyes of the national GOP? IOW, if we win the delegate count and do NOT win the straw poll, does this count as one of the five wins necessary to "play" at a brokered convention?

Eponym_mi
02-02-2008, 02:14 PM
The straw poll IS important. Straw poll wins at caucuses generate media buzz, and media buzz is what helps win primaries.

Elijah
02-02-2008, 02:19 PM
The straw poll IS important. Straw poll wins at caucuses generate media buzz, and media buzz is what helps win primaries.

That is a valid point!

hvac ak47
02-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I get that it's more important to win the delegates, but there is something that I don't understand. In caucus states, does the straw poll win or the delegate win count as a win in the eyes of the national GOP? IOW, if we win the delegate count and do NOT win the straw poll, does this count as one of the five wins necessary to "play" at a brokered convention?

+1 This is important. Does anyone know?

Elijah
02-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Crosslinking relevant topic - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=109431

Elijah
02-02-2008, 02:45 PM

I wasn't aware of the 5 wins necessary to play at the convention. If this is true then it would be funny if Ron Paul had 20-30% of the delegates vote for him at the convention and he wouldn't even be allowed to come.

hvac ak47
02-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I wasn't aware of the 5 wins necessary to play at the convention. If this is true then it would be funny if Ron Paul had 20-30% of the delegates vote for him at the convention and he wouldn't even be allowed to come.

Funny?

Jobarra
02-02-2008, 03:11 PM
From what people have posted of the rules, for someone to be nominated, he must have a majority of the delegates from any five states/territories. It sounds like it doesn't matter if he won straw polls or presidential primaries, just as long as the majority of the delegates from that state agree.