PDA

View Full Version : Rough Start for Ron Paul in My Precinct

Stazzie
02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I just got back from my caucus in Scarborough of Cumberland County. The caucusers were predominately over 60, Id say about 70%. They started explaining the caucus rules and everyone was in a fit because the straw poll they conducted had no bearing on who was selected for delegates. People were complaining it was a waste of time, etc.

Here are the results of the straw poll
Huckabee 6
McCain 36
Paul 15
Romney 60

Before the straw poll there were speakers such as Susan Collins etc. Ron Paul was the only major candidate who didnt have a speaker representing him.

For the delegates, our precinct elects 41 delegates to the state convention in May. I was one of 24 who were selected. Im not sure if there were any other Paul supporters that chose to be delegates. My guess is that the people who took on the responsibility where the towns older established republicans that heavily favored Romney. I can't speak for other precincts but mine didn't look too good.

Oh and I was also interviewed by two reporters for the Scarborouguh Leader and I think the Portland Press Herald. I was the only 17 year old there.

Bradley in DC
02-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the update--and for being a state delegate for us!

bucfish
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I hope that doesn't hold for the other areas of Maine.

Diana
02-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I just got back from my caucus in Scarborough of Cumberland County. The caucusers were predominately over 60, Id say about 70%. They started explaining the caucus rules and everyone was in a fit because the straw poll they conducted had no bearing on who was selected for delegates. People were complaining it was a waste of time, etc.

Huckabee 6
McCain 36
Paul 15
Romney 60

Before the straw poll there were speakers such as Susan Collins etc. Ron Paul was the only major candidate who didnt have a speaker representing him.

For the delegates, our precinct elects 41 delegates to the state convention in May. I was one of 24 who were selected. Im not sure if there were any other Paul supporters that chose to be delegates. My guess is that the people who took on the responsibility where the towns older established republicans that heavily favored Romney. I can't speak for other precincts but mine didn't look too good.

Oh and I was also interviewed by two reporters for the Scarborouguh Leader and I think the Portland Press Herald. I was the only 17 year old there.

So, any chance of finding another 17 Ron Paul supporters to fill those empty seats? They can still be appointed right?

mountaineer
02-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Those are the Straw Poll results, but what about the delegate counts?

miketwalker
02-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Are you able to ask to be a speaker for the candidate if nobody else is already planning to? This may be important in other precincts if we find nobody representing him. The biggest issue he was with his image is looking like he has no chance, we definitely need people talking at all caucuses.

Thanks for allowing yourself to be a delegate, it's a very important role and I'm glad you took it. :)

noztnac
02-02-2008, 10:50 AM

Huckabee 6
McCain 36
Paul 15
Romney 60

No speaker for Paul?!!! That's outrageous. Someone screwed up in a major way!

Diana
02-02-2008, 10:54 AM

Doesn't matter. All that matters is the delegates, and there are still 17 empty seats waiting to be filled there.

Stazzie
02-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Those are the Straw Poll results, but what about the delegate counts?

I'm not sure about the delegate counts for my precinct. One of the voters asked about how the delegates are selected and would vote in the state convention. The chair of the town GOP explained that she could have all the elected delegates stand up and ask who they support, but the we are not required to respond with who we are supporting. So I'm not really sure how this works as it is my first time voting at all.

thompsonisland
02-02-2008, 02:58 PM
We had a speaker for Paul in York County, but it probably should have been someone from Maine instead of NH. I didn't realize that there was a speaker for the caucuses; we could have shined more.

Crickett
02-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Doesn't matter. All that matters is the delegates, and there are still 17 empty seats waiting to be filled there.

Well..get some people in there? Can you speak for RP? We all have something to say..say it.

freedom-maniac
02-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Same thing happened in Iowa. They went from McCain to Romney...and they even asked for a speaker for Hunter to come forward, since no one signed up. But apparently they didn't know RP existed.

noztnac
02-02-2008, 04:08 PM

The popular vote is extremely important because it will be what is covered in the news and will create momentum for Super Tuesday.

JS4Pat
02-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Ron Paul was the only major candidate who didnt have a speaker representing him.
Same thing that happened in Iowa. Except that was televised nationally on CSPAN?

My God - do we learn anything from our mistakes?????

Not having someone A N Y O N E to stand up and speak for Ron Paul is just inexcusable!:mad:

CorkyAgain
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Same thing that happened in Iowa. Except that was televised nationally on CSPAN?

My God - do we learn anything from our mistakes?????

Not having someone A N Y O N E to stand up and speak for Ron Paul is just inexcusable!:mad:

The meetup groups in the remaining caucus states should put this on their agenda. Often, people hesitate to speak up because they don't know what to say. The meetup groups can help draft the speech and decide who's going to make it.

JS4Pat
02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
The meetup groups in the remaining caucus states should put this on their agenda. Often, people hesitate to speak up because they don't know what to say. The meetup groups can help draft the speech and decide who's going to make it.

Exactly. Even if someone just has to recite word for word a moving letter or message that highlightes the essence of Ron Paul's movement.

We can blame the MSM - but jeeessh if we are not even going to speak up when given a freakin platform full of voters!!!!!

C'mon people!!!!

Doriath
02-02-2008, 04:25 PM
This has been posted before...great speech...could be adapted to fit any audience...

http://files.meetup.com/497390/Dixie%20Republican%20Forum%20speech%2C%2015-Jan-08.pdf

BreakYourChains
02-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Bump! People need to jump up and volunteer to speak for Dr. Paul! Yes, I am shy too, but we only have one chance in a caucus to speak for Dr. Paul!