PDA

View Full Version : CT: Republican-American article - "Ron Paul cultivates small but committed following"

Jeremy
02-02-2008, 08:45 AM
http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/02/02/news/314999.txt

Cory Soulier couldn't help noticing the red, white and blue lawn signs for long-shot Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul that kept popping up around Litchfield County last fall.

But it was the enormous homemade banner, with letters outlined in flashing Christmas tree bulbs in front of Jim Davis' Torrington home that made the 24-year-old grocery store worker and student see the light.

Last December, Soulier knocked on Davis' door and asked for a Ron Paul bumper sticker to place over his Barack Obama one.

"One of the biggest things voters are looking for in this next election is honesty and if there is one candidate who's got it, it's him," Soulier said Friday.

Soulier is one of a small, but passionate group of state voters who not only believe Paul, a Texas congressman, is the best qualified Republican, but that he will stage an enormous come-from-behind surge and grab the nomination.

Paul is an obstetrician who is staunchly anti-abortion. His non-interventionist foreign policy has won fans who cite his vote against authorizing the Iraq war. Paul opposed the Patriot Act and is against gun control. His libertarian views also include abolishing the Federal Reserve system and eliminating the income tax.

Around the state, Paul supporters gather in groups known as "meet ups," like the one that gets together every Thursday at the Food Shop restaurant in Litchfield.

About a dozen supporters met this past Thursday, sipping coffee made by restaurant owners Tim and Christine Winans and talking about steps they could take to encourage people to support Paul in Tuesday's primary election.

Surrounded by pop art on the walls and looking earnestly at their printed agendas, they did not rehash Paul's performance the night before in the televised Republican debate. No one spoke about Paul's wardrobe, his snappy comebacks or whether their candidate looked more presidential than challengers John McCain, Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee.

I actually live in this area and I wonder if my signs is "one of those sings popping up". Heh, I only got it up last Tuesday though. But anyway... this guy with the flashing sign, I live kind of near him. It's awesome! It says "Ron Paul R3VOLution" and it flashes and he leaves in on all night! I pass it twice a day and sometimes I beep at it =D

InLoveWithRon
02-02-2008, 08:47 AM
A good testament that if you are creative enough, word will get out there in print, or on the news.. If people try hard enough.

Jeremy
02-02-2008, 08:49 AM
I live in kind of a small town and I think signs at multiple houses work. You see no other signs and at least 2 RP signs.... you'd want to check him out.