PDA

View Full Version : MTV Debate Bad for Ron Paul?

MattMinnesota
02-02-2008, 02:32 AM
I wonder what the format of this thing is going to be. With the Democrats being at this it is going to be an entirely new type of event, I hope everyone realizes that. Hillary and Obama are masters of rhetoric and emotions. They will associate Dr. Paul with the neo-cons and he will have to work very hard to keep himself separated.

We underestimate the amount of people out there who won't even consider anyone with Republican by their name. After this administration you almost can't blame them.

I'm just saying Obama and Hillary will be out there growling like bulldogs towards the Republicans. People will eat it up.

Paul is against universal healthcare which is a hard sell to people who have been conditioned to believe healthcare is a right to everyone.

I know everyone is worried about the 'sheep' who support the neocons, but there are far far more 'sheep' who support the Democrats. The neocons and the Democrats are all part of the same establishment - it's just an illusion of giving people a choice.

Rhys
02-02-2008, 03:30 AM
this could get ugly. the former president of MTV was quoted as saying once "i own the minds of teenagers."

Dequeant
02-02-2008, 03:32 AM
One of my favorite quotes.....

"If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait till its free!"

Opulen
02-02-2008, 03:38 AM
They have nothing against the good doctor. Basically, They(democrats) have the same platform as ROn Paul. In such environment, nothing beats a genuine article(real republican).

jasonjasonjason1
02-02-2008, 03:39 AM
aa

affa
02-02-2008, 03:42 AM
ron paul will open eyes.

Dequeant
02-02-2008, 03:43 AM
It could be bad, but it could also be Ron Paul's "coming out". He finally has a shot to steal all those democratic votes. All the people who have been saying "i refuse to vote republican again" will have a fresh new message from a republican. McCain and Romney will be so busy trying to prove "I can beat Hillary, see!" that RP will be able to focus his message to a very very broad new audience. Besides.....MTV.....c'mon, Ron Paul was elected "King of The Internet" in 2007 and most of those guys love MTV.

zbus12
02-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Ron Paul will smoke the Democrats and hopefully the republican party sees that he is the only one who can beat the Dems in the general and get behind him.

jasonjasonjason1
02-02-2008, 03:44 AM
aa

MattMinnesota
02-02-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm more afraid that Paul is going to say something anti-war and Clinton or Obama will clap or something. If we want to win, it's going to be through the republican base; and I doubt the republican base will take too kindly to seeing a democrat clap for a candidate they're considering.

I think the people that are THAT intensely partisan are most likely the same ones who support the war in the first place. So they probably wouldn't vote for Ron Paul anyway.

MattMinnesota
02-02-2008, 03:47 AM
of people not old enough to vote...

Never underestimate the influence kids can have on their parents..

crazyfingers
02-02-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm more afraid that Paul is going to say something anti-war and Clinton or Obama will clap or something. If we want to win, it's going to be through the republican base; and I doubt the republican base will take too kindly to seeing a democrat clap for a candidate they're considering.

That won't happen. They won't even commit to having the troops out by 2012.

jbuttell
02-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Basically, They(democrats) have the same platform as ROn Paul.

*cough* what? I don't know what you mean by that.... because it is not true on any level. I'll assume I'm misunderstanding you...

Bowie
02-02-2008, 03:57 AM
I think the people that are THAT intensely partisan are most likely the same ones who support the war in the first place. So they probably wouldn't vote for Ron Paul anyway.
That's why it's the personal responsibility of "Mr Personal Responsibility" to make a CLEAR CASE that Democrats don't own the withdrawing-troops position, and to make a CLEAR CASE to Republicans that he's not anti-war. He's pro-legal-war.

I will continue to support Dr No to the bitter end, but I am endlessly frustrated that he doesn't vigorously learn how to play the politics game.

If he's willing to take earmarks because they will be taken anyway, so should he be willing to play a smart, articulate politics game in order to get elected.

Lord Xar
02-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Don't get mad at me....

but...

Ron will sit there like a bump on a log, appreciative of his movements progress. He will be overly respectful and let obvious slams go unchallenged. He will, of course, give wonderful replies - but dealing with a younger audience - it will ALL go over their heads.

Ron will have many chances to really point out the discrepancies and delinquicies in the others, but he won't. He will be Ron.

He could be hitting home runs at will. Instead he is happy with singles and doubles.

ddoggphx
02-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Oh no, he's going to go off on them. when they tout their universal healthcare he will say..."I think that is a noble idea, but how in the world can we pay for that?? We can't pay for SS right now. We are printing money out of thin air and have a 9 trillion dollar debt, and we want to add universal health care to the mix? No, we need to cut spending, not add more entitlement programs we can't afford now and definitely can't in the future."

This is possibly his greatest chance to show how shortsighted the Dems are, and to wake up the Rep base. He might lose the anti-war liberals who like him, but they aren't voting in this primary anyway, most of them.

ddoggphx
02-02-2008, 04:01 AM
He could be hitting home runs at will. Instead he is happy with singles and doubles.

National League vs. American League

Both win.

I'd personally rather win by stringing together singles and doubles than whiffing for long balls.

InLoveWithRon
02-02-2008, 04:02 AM
For all you people screaming for Ron to run 3rd party.. Well this MTV debate will give you a taste of how a 3rd party run would be..

So stop complaining and just watch this debate.

ddoggphx
02-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Basically, They(democrats) have the same platform as ROn Paul.

WHAT? No dude, the Dems do not. He is SOOOOOO not even close.

Mitt, Huck and McDemcain are ALL far more liberal than TGD.

literatim
02-02-2008, 04:05 AM
It isn't a debate.

ddoggphx
02-02-2008, 04:05 AM
He finally has a shot to steal all those democratic votes.

Who cares about Dem votes? jeez, are you trolling? Dem votes don't mean squat until a GE...then it is more about the Indies anyway and the moderates. Right and Left vote the R and D and don't care. Indies and Moderates swing elections.

bcreps85
02-02-2008, 04:08 AM
The MySpace crowd, I think, will be more open minded than the senior citizens and illegal immigrants in Florida. Young people are just like that...

Not to mention, they should have memories of the Constitution since many are probably still in HS or close to it. They still remember our founding fathers and what they stood for...that will probably help us.

MattMinnesota
02-02-2008, 04:09 AM
It isn't a debate.

Well than what is it then? Details please! I even put in my original post that I wonder what this format is going to be like. Is it just going to be responses to questions individually or what?

I know Paul isn't gonna be in New York for this and Obama will be here in Minnesota (I'm going on a covert mission to his rally tomorrow).

nightlight
02-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Oh no, he's going to go off on them. when they tout their universal healthcare he will say..."I think that is a noble idea, but how in the world can we pay for that?? We can't pay for SS right now. We are printing money out of thin air and have a 9 trillion dollar debt, and we want to add universal health care to the mix? No, we need to cut spending, not add more entitlement programs we can't afford now and definitely can't in the future."

This is possibly his greatest chance to show how shortsighted the Dems are, and to wake up the Rep base. He might lose the anti-war liberals who like him, but they aren't voting in this primary anyway, most of them.

The slick opportunist Husein Obama may "borrow" Dr Paul's words on "free market" and "liberty" just as Huck was doing. With the help of moderators, who will all be on Husein's side, it may be impossible for good doctor to pin him down in the rigged game. I hope he anticipates the game plan and has the antidote ready.

gandhi08
02-02-2008, 04:22 AM
I know what will happen for sure. Dr. Paul will get least amount Questions and time. This I know for a fact.

Antonius Stone
02-02-2008, 04:25 AM
If anything, RP appearing at the debate has the potential to make Hitlery look really bad and Obama look better. Why? When RP starts talking about the war, Hitlery will try to throw everything at him like the disrespectful biatch she is and Obama will watch on with respect and attempt to "grow" the impression that he can work across the aisle

lynnf
02-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Who cares about Dem votes? jeez, are you trolling? Dem votes don't mean squat until a GE...then it is more about the Indies anyway and the moderates. Right and Left vote the R and D and don't care. Indies and Moderates swing elections.

just because your state might not allow crossover votes in the primaries (closed primary) doesn't mean that democrats in open primary states (dems can vote in either party) won't vote for Ron Paul in theirs. get your head out.

lynn