PDA

View Full Version : After a rough first attempt...

jbuttell
02-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Last weekend I had a less than successful go at canvassing my precinct It was raining pretty hard... getting past my nervousness wasn't easy - but I went door to door, simply to be greeted by people who were usually 'busy.' I respectfully left them in peace, but this stuff is definitely thankless ;D Doors closed on me... address after address located in gated apartment complexes... I decided to go home after a couple hours of that and figured I'd try and make up some lost ground by calling people.

What I'm a little confused about though - is that on Ron Paul's website, it sort of implies that one should not bringing up Ron Paul during the VoterID stage - almost try and hide who you are representing when asking the questions by suggesting that you introduce yourself as "Presidential Primary Preference" rather than "a volenteer for Ron Paul" However, reading posts on here I get the impression that many of you often jump right to it, telling people about Ron Paul.

Being that this is our LAST weekend here in California, how useful is this VoterID stage? I'd feel far more comfortable being up front with people, letting them know that I'm a Ron Paul volunteer and get right to the point. The info that I report back into the database, is it useful to Ron Paul in the short-term? In other words, what will Ron Paul's campaign do with that information from say... data entered Sunday night through the time in which we vote the following tuesday?

With what I understand, here's my plan of attack for my last weekend:

I'm just going to rip through my precint list of phone numbers, VoterID them for Ron Paul and immediately offer to provide them with any information (litterally hand deliver some slimjims to them if they'd like) - on the day we vote, I'll give every voter I've IDed as a Ron Paul supporter a reminder call to GOTV.

This sound ok? Any tips, please - i'm all ears.

.jeremy

BreakYourChains
02-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Bump for answers from people doing it there in CA.

andrewk78
02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
This is an idea I had.....

I am going to go door to door with clipboard in hand saying that I am part of the organization "Bloggers for a Conservative America". Which isn't a huge lie, I do blog and I am conservative :P, and that I have been asked to "poll" my local preceinct in preparation for the upcoming caucuses/primaries. All of the questions are going to make the other candidates look bad besides Paul.

1: Regarding John McCains statement that the US will be involved in Iraq for the next 100 years do you agree, disaree, or no opinion?

2: Does former president Ronald Reagan's endorsment of Ron Paul give Ron Paul more credibility, less credibility, or no change?

ect ect

I think this could be pretty effective I'll let ya know more once I get out and try it for a few hours.

jbuttell
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the tips, good luck today. Anyone else?

Thank you again,
.jeremy

Commander Yo
02-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey Jeremy,
I feel your pain:eek:, I did some phone canvasing today, I tried to use the script. I found it too verbose and it was hard enough to get participation let alone make it through the script. I would say half the folks did not even want to comment and one guy was real rude. I guess I don't like getting calls either but these are neutral calls, not calls to sell something, but calls to participate in our Democracy, which is a big difference.

I just started to ask who they would vote for and if they were going to caucus. If people had a preference they were not going to caucus. Apathy rules in my precinct, very much an old folk god guns and gays voters who will just wait until Nov. to vote for whoever has the R after their name, pathetic.

My goal going forward is to just ID Paul voters and get them to go vote on Tues. Don't waste your time with anyone but Paul voters or undecideds leaning Paul.

I assume you are working from a list of your precinct republicans? If not go register as a precinct captain to get the voter info so at least you have a prequalified list.

Good luck Brother,
Yo

Syragop45
02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I went out today. Had a very good response. Some had never even heard of Dr. Paul.

One had initially given the literature back to me, and by the end asked for it back and told me to keep talking to people because I was doing a good job of it.

jbuttell
02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the reply Commander - I'm signed up as a Precinct Leader for Ron Paul - I have data from there and some other list of republicans givin by a los angeles county coordinator. So It's widdled down a bit already, still getting a lot of bad phone numbers. Precinct captains can get access to other data as well? I'll just keep move'n throug the numbers. I suppose it's best we call them all on primary day to ensure they go vote.

FormerDemocrat
02-03-2008, 09:21 PM
My precinct run was pretty rough too.

There's too many secretive people. They refuse to reveal anything, as if I was the NSA or something.

I did find a few undecided voters however.

Most I got were 'undisclosed'.
I also got the feeling that people felt Paul didn't have a chance at all.
(Poll numbers/state victories)

I tried to be friendly as possible, but it doesn't work. Some people just won't talk.

I want Dr. Paul to pwn everyone on Super Tuesday!
I'm hella mad!:mad:

jbuttell
02-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Hi FormerD -

I just bit the bullet, threw the 'official' script out the window and did it my way and I feel I got better reception. I found one or two ron paul supports :D Found many undecided - some of which were willing to discuss him. Being so late in the game... I rolled the VoterID/Conversion into one. Went something like this:

1.) Hi, this is Jeremy - may I speak to...
2.) I'm actually a neighbor, I live right down the street, I'm volunteering and just wanted to ask if you what you think of Ron Paul.

If undecided, I'd just speak my heart, telling people a few of the things I felt were points to note.

I think it was a successful day. Talked longer than I probably should have to some people - but I believe it was all good. Good to know there are some like minded individuals here.

.jeremy