PDA

View Full Version : Emergency: Ron Paul's Bad Body Language

gtjwkq
08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Ok, it's not really an "Emergency", just something worth pointing out (pun intended):

"The Palm-Closed-Finger-Pointed gesture is one of the most annoying gestures anyone can use while speaking, particularly when it beats time to the speaker's words. In some countries such as Malaysia and the Philippines, finger pointing at a person is an insult as this gesture is only used to point at animals. Malaysians will use their thumb to point to people or to give directions."
-- Allan & Barbara Pease, The Definitive Book of Body Language

Anyone else noticed his wagging finger (he also did it with a pen on his hand, which basically amounts to the same) during this latest debate when talking about the war?

To get the best support possible, Ron Paul's words, however wise, are not enough. He must sell the idea that he'll be a great leader. A leader is supposed to have confidence, one way of showing confidence is by having good posture. Ron Paul is always sticking his neck out. Look at Mitt Romney's posture, the guy is a freaking lamp post all the time.

He needs help with his voice too, it sounds frail and quivery sometimes, it becomes high-pitched when he gets excited.

How can we contact his campaign manager? The guy should immediately hire professionals to help Ron Paul with his body language, facial expressions, voice tone and posture.

Let me quote some more on this book about body language, it's an experiment done with an audience being given a speech by different lecturers:

"We conducted an experiment with eight lecturers who were asked to use each of these three hand gestures during a series of ten-minute talks to a range of audiences and we later recorded the attitudes of the participants to each lecturer. We found that the lecturers who mostly used the Palm-Up position received 84% positive testimonials from their participants, which dropped to 52% when they delivered exactly the same presentation to another audience using mainly the Palm-Down position. The Finger-Pointed position recorded only 28% positive response and some participants had walked out during the lecture.

[Some image of a guy with finger held up, looks just like Ron Paul on last debate]
The pointing finger creates negative feelings in most listeners

Finger pointing not only registered the least amount of positive responses from the listeners; they could also recall less of what the speaker had said. If you are a habitual finger-pointer, try practising the palm-up and palm-down positions and you'll find that you can create a more relaxed atmosphere and have a more positive effect on others. Alternatively, if you squeeze your fingers against your thumb to make an 'OK' type of gesture and talk using this position, you'll come across as authoritative, but not aggressive. We taught this gesture to groups of speakers, politicians and business leaders and we measured the audience reactions.

(...)

Speakers who used the finger-pointed position were described as 'aggressive', 'belligerent' and 'rude' and recorded the lowest amount of information retention by their audience. When the speaker pointed directly at the audience, the delegates became preoccupied with making personal judgements about the speaker rather than listening to his content."

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't buy it.

Who exactly makes up these "rules" and by what authority?

ghemminger
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I think this is important...I will send to HQ

ronpaulitician
08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
In the first televized presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon, people who watched the debate thought Kennedy won. People who listened to the radio broadcast of the debate thought Nixon won.

Dustancostine
08-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Kuld,

I recieved my degree in psych. And they taught us the same things. They are proven study after study. He can improve in these areas, they are definitely his week point.

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/Kuldebar/b568fcad-aba5-4f61-96bb-3869529f640.jpg

Yes, he is threatening and dictatorial and seems frail as well, I may need to rethink my support.

ThePieSwindler
His body language and voice were fine in the first two debates.... what's changed in the third and fourth ones?

ghemminger
I just sent it to HQ...I will also send it to his Video Team

LibertyEagle
08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Unfortunately, body language is important. I hate it too, but there it is. I'm glad you sent it on ghemminger.

SWATH
08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I think the first debate was his best as far as physical aspects, ie. calm yet exigent, stearn, angry and oozing of wisdom, almost as though he was scolding all these silly little neocon kids for going behind his back and playing with the gun hidden in the closet and hurting someone.

Today I asked someone I worked with if they watched the Iowa debate and he said yes. He asked me what I thought about it and I said "not much except for Ron Paul." He said, "who? oh wait the whiney guy" I said "what? whiney guy?" He proceeded to point his finger up and down repeatedly while making a histerical whiney sound as though he were a mad crazy puppet.

I think he gets worked up and tries to squeeze as much info in the 30 sec sound bite time as he can. He could improve a little by taking a deep breath and focusing that energy like I think he did in the first debate. When he was talking about going to war to fight it and win it and raising his voice to a commanding tone, he absolutely had my attention.

ThePieSwindler
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
http://media.philly.com/images/300*389/b568fcad-aba5-4f61-96bb-3869529f6405.jpg

Yes, he is threatening and dictatorial and seems frail as well, I may need to rethink my support.

He isn't pointing his finger at anyone in that picture, he is simply raising it while making a point.

RevolutionSD
08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Sounds like the studies have been done and this is important, but I used to HATE when bill clinton constantly used that thumb-pointing gesture and I thought it looked really stupid. Maybe that's just me though.

UtahApocalypse
08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I disagree with this, here is why: The reason many of us are attracted to Ron Paul is he is natural, unscripted, not primed and proper. He is just a average American. The most powerful and important thing is his message, not his suit, tie, or a haircut. This article is basicly everything that we DON'T want to stand for.

BLS
08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
People.....geez...do we not have anything else to worry about than his posture??

C'mon...do any of you realize how ridiculous this is??

I understand what you're saying. And I agree, his body language is not one of confidence. But we're not going to be able to fix him, all we can do is spread his name and message.

I'm really sorry if this comes off as being rude, but this to me is just plain silly.

Spirit of '76
08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I disagree with this, here is why: The reason many of us are attracted to Ron Paul is he is natural, unscripted, not primed and proper. He is just a average American. The most powerful and important thing is his message, not his suit, tie, or a haircut. This article is basicly everything that we DON'T want to stand for.

True.

jj111
I think a consult with a professional image consultant who has succeeded in grooming other clients can NOT HURT. I don't care how great a person is (and Ron Paul IS great), people can always learn by listening to experts in other fields. Image is important, and when you are running for President, this is the Big Leagues.

gtjwkq
I don't buy it.

Who exactly makes up these "rules" and by what authority?
Take it easy. I put the name of these people right there under the quotes. How about looking them up?

Just so you know, I totally support Ron Paul. This is just something I noticed that made me concerned.

Also, on ABC's website, guess what image they posted of Ron Paul on his bio? That's right, finger held up with an angry face:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Decision2008/page?id=3393725

ghemminger
Please guys don't be naive...we are not talking about YOU (informed and intellectual) We are talking about the masses....Primetime, sit-com wachin, sixpack, go to sunday service average people..

For God Sakes!!!...Did you here the comment s from the people in the audience....

"uh...I'm a Pastor of a chrurch....and ....uh....I always watch for smiles...Mitt Romeny won my vote....

...I like all of them...and I would be a proud American for any of them to become President...I think Guioliani was GReat!.......

Think outside "your' box!!!

Dustancostine
08-06-2007, 06:52 PM

I disagree with you. My support for RP comes from his message. You can be unscripted and natural with or with out good body language. We all know that RP is not an alpha male, but he can work towards being more commanding.

--Dustan

Original_Intent
08-06-2007, 06:55 PM

/agree

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
OMG we are in so much trouble:

http://im.rediff.com/news/2006/sep/13osama.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/Kuldebar/b568fcad-aba5-4f61-96bb-3869529f640.jpg

But, really:

I hope some of you never get a job working for the government, because you'd probably be very dangerous with your good intentions. :rolleyes:

gtjwkq
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
People.....geez...do we not have anything else to worry about than his posture??

I understand what you're saying. And I agree, his body language is not one of confidence. But we're not going to be able to fix him, all we can do is spread his name and message.

I'm really sorry if this comes off as being rude, but this to me is just plain silly.
BLS, I think silly is underestimating body language. When you talk to people face to face, body language usually speak a lot more than your words.

"We're not going to be able to fix him?", now that's a lot sillier. You make it seem like adjusting body language requires invasive surgery. :rolleyes:

jj111
08-06-2007, 06:57 PM

I will tell you what I want out of this campaign: the greatest success possible in getting the most people in America to listen to Ron with an open mind, and think about what he is saying.

The process is called communication.

Anything that can improve communication is good as far as I am concerned.

The fact that Dr. Paul wears a nice suit and a nice tie, and grooms his hair, as opposed to wearing a dirty T-shirt to the debates: that facilitates the communication process.

Sure, we know that this is superficial, but the fact is that these big money politicians KNOW that image counts. They spend a fortune on it. And I want to see this campaign succeed to the greatest extent possible. I would support the campaign arranging for a consultation with a professional image consultant. And this is not a criticism of Ron Paul, whom I think is one of the rarest of gems in the universe.

Ron Paul Fan
08-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't think this is an issue. On that morning show on C-Span some old lady from North Carolina called in talking about the debates and said Ron Paul was interesting, had a good American spirit, and a compassion for people. So maybe when Ron Paul is aggressive on his stances like he was on the Iraq war yesterday it's a good thing? Pat Buchannan said on Tucker today that Dr. Paul was becoming a presence on the stage referring to yesterday's debate. Maybe we shouldn't be questioning a 10 term Congressman who I would be willing to bet knows a little more about debating and public speaking than most people on this forum.

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
BLS, I think silly is underestimating body language. When you talk to people face to face, body language usually speak a lot more than your words.

"We're not going to be able to fix him?", now that's a lot sillier. You make it seem like adjusting body language requires invasive surgery. :rolleyes:

Except that people love the freakin' hell out of Paul after they hear him speak and especially after meeting him.

Even with the small slices of time he gets in the debates, it has been shown that people take notice and it's one of the reasons his campaign is growing.

LibertyEagle
08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
BLS,

You're right; his message is the most important thing. I do think body language is important too, unfortunately. I mean, look at Mitt Romney. His has NO message. Zip. Nada. Zilch. All he has is his posturing. He "looks" presidential and tries to "act" that way.

I don't think anyone is trying to remake Dr. Paul, nor would we want to. I don't think it is out of line for him to get a bit of coaching on body language, however.

Dustancostine
Yes but remember that the Good Doctor is on stage with a bunch of lawyers and a preacher. This is what they have been doing everyday of their lives since they were in their twenties. While RP was delivery babies they were delivering verdicts and sermons.

BTW: Maybe the campaign has already got a consultant and they are keeping it under wraps.

conner_condor
"The Palm-Closed-Finger-Pointed gesture is one of the most annoying gestures anyone can use while speaking, particularly when it beats time to the speaker's words. In some countries such as Malaysia and the Philippines, finger pointing at a person is an insult as this gesture is only used to point at animals. Malaysians will use their thumb to point to people or to give directions."

Anyone else noticed his wagging finger (he also did it with a pen on his hand, which basically amounts to the same) during this latest debate when talking about the war?

To get the best support possible, Ron Paul's words, however wise, are not enough. He must sell the idea that he'll be a great leader. A leader is supposed to have confidence, one way of showing confidence is by having good posture. Ron Paul is always sticking his neck out. Look at Mitt Romney's posture, the guy is a freaking lamp post all the time.

He needs help with his voice too, it sounds frail and quivery sometimes, it becomes high-pitched when he gets excited.

How can we contact his freakin' campaign manager? The guy should immediately hire professionals to help Ron Paul with his body language, facial expressions, voice tone and posture.

Let me quote some more on this book about body language, it's an experiment done with an audience being given a speech by different lecturers:

"We conducted an experiment with eight lecturers who were asked to use each of these three hand gestures during a series of ten-minute talks to a range of audiences and we later recorded the attitudes of the participants to each lecturer. We found that the lecturers who mostly used the Palm-Up position received 84% positive testimonials from their participants, which dropped to 52% when they delivered exactly the same presentation to another audience using mainly the Palm-Down position. The Finger-Pointed position recorded only 28% positive response and some participants had walked out during the lecture.

[Some image of a guy with finger held up, looks just like Ron Paul on last debate]
The pointing finger creates negative feelings in most listeners

Finger pointing not only registered the least amount of positive responses from the listeners; they could also recall less of what the speaker had said. If you are a habitual finger-pointer, try practising the palm-up and palm-down positions and you'll find that you can create a more relaxed atmosphere and have a more positive effect on others. Alternatively, if you squeeze your fingers against your thumb to make an 'OK' type of gesture and talk using this position, you'll come across as authoritative, but not aggressive. We taught this gesture to groups of speakers, politicians and business leaders and we measured the audience reactions.

(...)

Speakers who used the finger-pointed position were described as 'aggressive', 'belligerent' and 'rude' and recorded the lowest amount of information retention by their audience. When the speaker pointed directly at the audience, the delegates became preoccupied with making personal judgements about the speaker rather than listening to his content."

Ron Paul is no ones puppet. You think the american joe gives a rats ass about his body gestures and his pointings. Ron Paul is an average joe with brains. Don't be making him a puppet with this BS non sense. He is an average joe and so are all his supporters. Screw the other countries on what our gestures mean. This is about our country as many have forgot. We are his priority and no one else. Them others countries votes mean nothing here.

BLS
08-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Dude, do you think he's not freaking busy enough? The guy is 71 years old.
50% of the reason he looks the way he does lately is probably because his schedule is incredibly insane and he's wiped out. He even admits it.

Look, I'm not disagreeing with you....it's called prioritizing.
Maybe you think it's a priority. Maybe it is.
But those who are running this campaign have ALOT of things to do, and maybe, there's a distinct chance they are prioritizing. Did you notice he said during the debate, he needs to speak more firmly? Do you think that maybe they are already working on it?

My suggestion is to stop emailing HQ with something they probably addressed months ago.

I'll tell you what, if you manage to EVEN get a response from HQ, I'll apologize here publicly. If you're worried about getting him elected, go make a 1000 signs and ship em to Iowa.

jj111
08-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I would agree that Ron Paul knows 100000 times as much as I do about being a successful politician. I would hope Ron would be open to listening to this suggestion, but it is up to Ron Paul as to whether he thinks this will be worth his while. On the down side, if you spend too much time thinking about learning body language, it might take your concentration away from your train of thought about what you want to say and how you want to say it.

I don't think it is that easy being a Presidential league speaker. It's a lot easier to be an armchair quarterback.

BLS
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
gtjwkq,

Look, I apologize for going off the handle.

I just personally don't think this is something as supporters that is really in our realm of accountability. We just need to help him out by getting the message out.

Again...sorry.

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I would agree that Ron Paul knows 100000 times as much as I do about being a successful politician. I would hope Ron would be open to listening to this suggestion, but it is up to Ron Paul as to whether he thinks this will be worth his while. On the down side, if you spend too much time thinking about learning body language, it might take your concentration away from your train of thought about what you want to say and how you want to say it.

I don't think it is that easy being a Presidential league speaker. It's a lot easier to be an armchair quarterback.

I think we need to start questioning the very ideas behind "professional politicians" and their image management.

Deceit is something that starts small then grows out into other things.

0zzy
08-06-2007, 07:07 PM
You guys are so negative, makes me cry. First he's not good enough in the debate, now he's not going to get elected cause he has a wagging finger. What next?

Richie
08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
If Fred Thompson, who's a fat pig with a head that you could use as a mirror AND has cancer can find supporters EVEN THOUGH HE'S NOT EVEN RUNNING, surely the good honest doctor who represents US, the people can as well.

jj111
08-06-2007, 07:09 PM
You guys are so negative, makes me cry. First he's not good enough in the debate, now he's not going to get elected cause he has a wagging finger. What next?

If I recall properly, he was wagging his finger when he told Romney to buzz off yesterday, and not only did it work, it also was the best moment of the debate.

jj111
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Ron pointed his finger towards Romney at that moment, and it was fricking perfect!!! Best moment of the debate.

http://disinter.wordpress.com/2007/08/05/ron-paul-in-todays-debate/

bygone
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
http://suburbarazzi.lohudblogs.com/files/2007/03/tjndc5-5bnffugx1h29vu22czv_layout.jpg

lol ;)

jj111
08-06-2007, 07:14 PM
When Ron Paul points his finger up, he is giving the neocons hell! And they deserve it!!!

ChooseLiberty
08-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Pretty sad that this is the typical American. All packaging, no content = Romnut.

I think the first debate was his best as far as physical aspects, ie. calm yet exigent, stearn, angry and oozing of wisdom, almost as though he was scolding all these silly little neocon kids for going behind his back and playing with the gun hidden in the closet and hurting someone.

Today I asked someone I worked with if they watched the Iowa debate and he said yes. He asked me what I thought about it and I said "not much except for Ron Paul." He said, "who? oh wait the whiney guy" I said "what? whiney guy?" He proceeded to point his finger up and down repeatedly while making a histerical whiney sound as though he were a mad crazy puppet.

I think he gets worked up and tries to squeeze as much info in the 30 sec sound bite time as he can. He could improve a little by taking a deep breath and focusing that energy like I think he did in the first debate. When he was talking about going to war to fight it and win it and raising his voice to a commanding tone, he absolutely had my attention.

jj111
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I think Ron Paul's body language is better than 99% of the population. But if Ron decides to get some professional help to improve, all the more power to him.

Ron Paul Fan
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Yeah, it's a pretty stupid argument. It's like giving Dr. Paul advice how to deliver babies. But instead it's an EMERGENCY! Let's give a 20 year politician advice on public speaking and say that he shouldn't point his finger when he talks because he obviously has no idea what he's doing being voted in to Congress 10 times and having already ran for President once before!

jj111
08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I would agree: this is not an emergency.

gtjwkq
08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Look, I apologize for going off the handle.

I just personally don't think this is something as supporters that is really in our realm of accountability. We just need to help him out by getting the message out.
Thanks BLS, I apologize too for being too alarmist. I edited my first post to reflect that. I thought it was an issue worth bringing to the campaign manager's attention.

gtjwkq
08-06-2007, 07:21 PM
I would agree: this is not an emergency.
My bad, I got carried away, it should've put the topic title as "Important:", not "Emergency:". I sure wish he would address this issue before his next nationally televised appearance.

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty stupid argument. It's like giving Dr. Paul advice how to deliver babies. But instead it's an EMERGENCY! Let's give a 20 year politician advice on public speaking and say that he shouldn't point his finger when he talks because he obviously has no idea what he's doing being voted in to Congress 10 times and having already ran for President once before!

Ron Paul placed his elbows on the table during a recent fund raising dinner, that is also against the rules, many people will be turned off by that sort of behavior as well.

Where is Naomi Wolf at when you need her?

:eek:

inibo
08-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Maybe we shouldn't be questioning a 10 term Congressman who I would be willing to bet knows a little more about debating and public speaking than most people on this forum.

I think we all underestimate his skills as a politician. Even the NYT had to admit "Anyone who is elected to Congress three times as a nonincumbent, as Paul has been, is a politician of prodigious gifts."

He's handling his part just fine. Our job is to get the word out.

ChooseLiberty
08-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I remember reading something about how they researched the gesturing during Clinton/Bush campaign and turned out women were threatened by a pointing finger (wonder why?). Men had no problem with it. Then they changed to the thumb pointing or folded finger crap which has always looked totally stupid since no one does thatin real life. When was the last time you saw your co-workers or a cop or someone at the golf course point like that?

It's stupid.

RP08
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm more turned of by his nervously flailing his pen than putting up a finger to exclaim a point. But, yes, it's an issue that may need some attention.

Personally, I'm seeing right through his body language like a newly-cleaned glass window and right to his truth. However, some newcomers may not "get it" before they're turned off subconciously.

McDermit
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
I liked the finger pointing when Romney kept jumping in. Romney SHOULD be pointed at like a dog.

BLS
08-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks BLS, I apologize too for being too alarmist. I edited my first post to reflect that. I thought it was an issue worth bringing to the campaign manager's attention.

kumbaya my friend. kumbaya.

No hard feelings on my end.

ladyjade3
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
From what I understand, Dr. Paul HATES being managed in that way. I brought up security detail when I was at his office a month ago, and that kind of following around and attention would not be fun for him. The people around him are always advising him. :) Believe me. I heard - he needs a haircut, he shouldn't wear gray, he should wear nicer shoes, I've told him not to stand that way, on and on from his congressional staff alone. :) But they always say it with a smile, knowing he's going to do what he wants and we all love him anyway.

He comes across as natural and uncoached because he is natural and uncoached. I know body language has meaning. And he's probably been told as much. I think he's focused so intently on his message that he's not even thinking about trivial things like body language. I'm not sure that is bothering voters at this point.

PennCustom4RP
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
...The reason many of us are attracted to Ron Paul is he is natural, unscripted, not primed and proper. He is just a average American. The most powerful and important thing is his message, not his suit, tie, or a haircut. This article is basicly everything that we DON'T want to stand for.

I entirely agree, besides we aren't in Malaysia or the Philippines, we are in America.
When RP is standing at the lectern, vacant gaze, playing pocket pool, then worry.
Until then, the man is doing just fine.

Nefertiti
08-06-2007, 07:48 PM
At least we can rest assured that some columnist won't devote 1000 words to his cleavage.

Seriously, I am an academic that spends a lot of time going to lectures and conferences. Now, in the academic world you would think it is substance that counts. But I have walked out on lectures that were on topics I was interested in but the delivery was so shrill or bad in some other way that I decided to wait for the speaker to publish it so I could read what they had to say rather than listen to them deliver it.

These things make a difference. Sometimes I do cringe a bit when Ron Paul answers questions, especially in interviews with somewhat challenging questions. He sometimes comes across to me as sounding a bit less than confident.

Revolution9
08-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Pinting fingers about pointing fingers.. Do I smell a strain of hypocrisy?.. Perhaps the type bolstered by one of them thar "psychology" degrees. My grand pappy said "Ya understand more about a fella by listening to what they said instead of analysing it".

Frankly I saw the gesture as one of those "I am about fed up with you children and having to tell you to behave yourself" kind of things. Very emphatic and primal. Ya didn't see any of the other button down clowns butting in when clearly the gesture says "butt out".so they buttoned up..to complete the metaphor..

Best Regards
Randy

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I think Americans have become so accustomed to walking talking egotistical wind bags that we start feeling uncomfortable when an honest man speaks to us plainly.

Akus
08-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree that his voice sounds sometimes quivery, but it's only because he knows that the time window he's given is usually small and he's trying to say things as fast as he can to fit them in.

Remember the Fox news dialogue? Was he shaking? Was he wagging fingers? No. Because he was allowed to actually talk, instead of merely given a 5 second time window to say something too big for that kind of time.

constituent
08-06-2007, 07:57 PM
On the other hand...

I think dr. Paul needs to work on coming off as more aggressive. Point that finger at the other candidates.

come on ron... show us YOUR civil disobedience!

nullvalu
08-06-2007, 08:02 PM
True.. I even talked to a couple guys at work today (who aren't full-fledged supporters yet) who don't think he comes off as aggressive enough. I think that may be more important than his finger-gestures.

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
The danger with coming off "more aggressively" is that then one starts appearing to rant and rave.

Let's be honest, Ron Paul is doing a lot of lecturing already, it's part of the education process of getting people to understand stuff they should have learned in school.

If we were to couple that with him being further animated and abrasive, I think that is when people would start tuning out his message.

He comes across as natural and uncoached because he is natural and uncoached. I know body language has meaning. And he's probably been told as much. I think he's focused so intently on his message that he's not even thinking about trivial things like body language. I'm not sure that is bothering voters at this point.

QFT

jj111
08-06-2007, 08:07 PM
From what I understand, Dr. Paul HATES being managed in that way. I brought up security detail when I was at his office a month ago, and that kind of following around and attention would not be fun for him. The people around him are always advising him. :) Believe me. I heard - he needs a haircut, he shouldn't wear gray, he should wear nicer shoes, I've told him not to stand that way, on and on from his congressional staff alone. :) But they always say it with a smile, knowing he's going to do what he wants and we all love him anyway.

I think we need to cut Ron Paul some slack. He is the best thing since sliced bread for the cause of liberty.....

I can't blame him for getting a little annoyed. I'm sure people all the time are telling him what he should do, what he should say, etc.

It must get annoying for Ron. I support whatever the heck Ron Paul wants to do in this regard, and I don't think I would ever have the guts to ask him face to face if he's ever considered the effect of body language on his presentation efficacy.

Shatterhand
08-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Well since everyone's talking about body language . . .

I think Dr. Paul should stop licking his lips during his speeches. It looks rather unseemly and a bit reptillian. I don't mean to pile on here, but if you're going to email HQ, you can add my advice: please try to stop the lip licking.

Thanks.

:p

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm sure Ron is aware of his public speaking limitations. All he can do is do is his best, and a little coaching might help.

Body language is very real. "Experts" say that when public speaking, it's around 80% body language people pay attention to, and people barely listen to the content. Of course the major candidates have been through years of coaching and practice. It's no wonder most of our politicians are devoid of intelligent ideas.

Most of us have been exposed to Dr. Paul's message by reading it on the internet. Thus, we don't care about body language. We already know the substance.

I believe I read that Thomas Jefferson never gave any speeches. His fame and respect came purely from his writings.

I would propose that people present as much written information from Ron to potential voters as possible. It will set the stage better.

As for competent speech and political coaches, I'm sure Ron could tell you that that a good one is hard to find...most of them are crooks looking to separate people from their money. Ron wouldn't approve of that.

p.s. The pointing at Romney was perfect! Romney was obviously prepped to make that move when Ron was speaking, but his timing was off and out of context. Romney looked more like a rude idiot, trying to get cheap points and to bully someone, and it didn't work. Sit down little boy!

nexalacer
08-06-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think this is an issue. On that morning show on C-Span some old lady from North Carolina called in talking about the debates and said Ron Paul was interesting, had a good American spirit, and a compassion for people. So maybe when Ron Paul is aggressive on his stances like he was on the Iraq war yesterday it's a good thing? Pat Buchannan said on Tucker today that Dr. Paul was becoming a presence on the stage referring to yesterday's debate. Maybe we shouldn't be questioning a 10 term Congressman who I would be willing to bet knows a little more about debating and public speaking than most people on this forum.

I don't me to knock down Dr. Paul, but I think that body language is EQUALLY as important and the message, and if he was such a fantastic debater, then he should have been able to get more agreeing votes over his 10 terms.

His message is strong, but body language is key when talking to people who aren't really listening. And I can guarantee most Americans aren't really listening.

Ninja Homer
08-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I think Ron Paul could change a little in his posture, but not too much. What I first noticed when I saw Ron Paul speak for the first time is that he looked and spoke like he was telling the truth. He looked like a human, rather than a polished politician. I definitely wouldn't want him to lose that edge, because I think it's a big one.

I think his biggest problem in this debate was trying to fit everything into the very limited time he had. He seemed rushed. He'd be better off slowing down and ignoring the buzzer, assuming he doesn't drone on and on like Tommy Thompson. Once again, it comes down to him being a little too polite.

If Ron Paul's time is so limited in another debate, I'd like to see him just calmly and politely say, "Sorry, I have a lot to say about this topic, but I just can't answer it in a 30 second sound-bite with the limited time you're giving me. If viewers would like to hear my answer to this question, I'll have it up on the Internet by tomorrow. Check my web site."

This would shove his limited time in their face, point out to the viewers how little time he is given, allow him to answer the question completely, and get more people to his site all in one.

ape
08-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm too focused on the message to be paying attention to all the other BS. It's rare to hear and have presidential candidates speak the way he does, the man is so damn smart and experienced.

Ronstock '08
08-06-2007, 09:48 PM
I think Ron Paul could change a little in his posture, but not too much. What I first noticed when I saw Ron Paul speak for the first time is that he looked and spoke like he was telling the truth. He looked like a human, rather than a polished politician. I definitely wouldn't want him to lose that edge, because I think it's a big one.

I think his biggest problem in this debate was trying to fit everything into the very limited time he had. He seemed rushed. He'd be better off slowing down and ignoring the buzzer, assuming he doesn't drone on and on like Tommy Thompson. Once again, it comes down to him being a little too polite.

If Ron Paul's time is so limited in another debate, I'd like to see him just calmly and politely say, "Sorry, I have a lot to say about this topic, but I just can't answer it in a 30 second sound-bite with the limited time you're giving me. If viewers would like to hear my answer to this question, I'll have it up on the Internet by tomorrow. Check my web site."

This would shove his limited time in their face, point out to the viewers how little time he is given, allow him to answer the question completely, and get more people to his site all in one.

An excellent suggestion. I wish someone at HQ could see your post and suggest this to Dr Paul.

gtjwkq
08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
What I didn't like in this topic is many supporters needlessly coming to Ron Paul's defense as if I'm purely out to bash their beloved candidate.

I'm a supporter too, I want Ron Paul to win.

To me, it's not relevant that he's old, that he's been giving speeches for years, that his voice quivers because of a small window of time to speak, that we aren't in Malaysia/Phillipines where finger pointing is more offensive, that once people listen to his ideas nothing else matters, that people should educate themselves to listen to words instead of analyzing body language, or that BL is just one more weapon in an evil politician's arsenal of deceit. This is just a summary of the most dispensable remarks I found here.

Kuldebar posted too many times. I had a very similar posture when I was very ignorant on the subject of body language. "I don't buy it" is your evident testament to that. I do endorse one of your statements, "The danger with coming off "more aggressively" is that then one starts appearing to rant and rave". To me, unfortunately, Ron Paul might be seen by many like that already, also thanks to mainstream media.

A good image consultant or body language expert could do wonders for our candidate. I wonder if they forgot to hire one.

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
What I didn't like in this topic is many supporters needlessly coming to Ron Paul's defense as if I'm purely out to bash their beloved candidate.

I'm a supporter too, I want Ron Paul to win.

To me, it's not relevant that he's old, that he's been giving speeches for years, that his voice quivers because of a small window of time to speak, that we aren't in Malaysia/Phillipines where finger pointing is more offensive, that once people listen to his ideas nothing else matters, that people should educate themselves to listen to words instead of analyzing body language, or that BL is just one more weapon in an evil politician's arsenal of deceit. This is just a summary of the most dispensable remarks I found here.

Kuldebar posted too many times. I had a very similar posture when I was very ignorant on the subject of body language. "I don't buy it" is your evident testament to that. I do endorse one of your statements, "The danger with coming off "more aggressively" is that then one starts appearing to rant and rave". To me, unfortunately, Ron Paul might be seen by many like that already, also thanks to mainstream media.

A good image consultant or body language expert could do wonders for our candidate. I wonder if they forgot to hire one.

And I will continue to post, because I think you are wrong. It would be a waste of money and would be paying to support the very thing that's fundamentally wrong with politics today: image management and manipulation.

Also known as "ways to fool people into liking you".

jj111
08-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Well since everyone's talking about body language . . .

I think Dr. Paul should stop licking his lips during his speeches. It looks rather unseemly and a bit reptillian. I don't mean to pile on here, but if you're going to email HQ, you can add my advice: please try to stop the lip licking.

Thanks.

Could it be Ron's lips are dry because he's been licking envelopes for the Mail Iowa campaign?

max
08-06-2007, 10:44 PM
He definitely needs help with body language and voice tone. I've worked in sales for years and had much training. This stuff is CRITICAL!

The masses don't respond to intellect ...they respond to the projection of strength and confidence...Erect posture, slow speech, minimal hand gestures, strong voice projection..

RP needs a crash course.

Romney and Fred Thompson have it down pat.

Trance Dance Master
08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Raising the finger when some one is trying to interrupt you is a sign of strength, confidence, and high status. That is the image Ron Paul is expressing. For those of you who don't think RP is expressing high status body language, prove that your own advice is worth taking. How is your body language working for you?

CJP
08-06-2007, 10:58 PM
I have to agree with the original post. However, Dr. Paul is quite capable of presenting himself well. He does this all the time in interviews. Maybe someone advised him to be more forceful in this debate. Maybe he panics when he has only 30 seconds to explain his point. Under time pressure, he talks way too high and fast, even leaving off the ends of sentences to start the next one. (Anyone else notice this?) He just needs to (1) practice ways of economizing his words & (2) relax and be himself in debates.

Dr. Paul needs to work on this if he can -- it's part of what it takes to get elected. We all love his ideas (that's why we're here), but the ideas have to be marketed effectively to a wide audience. This is especially true in a presidential race, where you're going up against the most talented politicians in the country. Thinking that this is "below us" because our philosophy is the best is a formula for certain defeat.

Most people haven't even heard of Ron Paul and we are less than six months from Super Tuesday. First impressions, however superficial, are lasting impressions and are critical to success.

If we were in an alternate reality where ideas were all that mattered (and if every voter somehow automatically knew and understood every candidates' positions), then there would be no need for campaigns! And Ron Paul would win, of course.

But we don't live in that reality. We already have the ideas. The task before us is to win by doing whatever it takes short of compromising our principles. If we keep preaching to our own choir and let the statists keep all the power, we all lose, no matter how wonderful our ideas. We must, therefore, compete as effectively as we can in this fight.

Unfortunately, lovers of freedom put themselves at a disadvantage because of our distaste for the seeking of political power. We only wish to chain down that power, not have it for ourselves. But remember, we must seize the power from the enemy before we can chain it down. And we have to do this by beating the tyrants at their own political game. There is no other way.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-06-2007, 11:00 PM

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2007, 11:07 PM

I agree. I just rewatched the debate. The single biggest issue is speed. You're right, being excluded from most of the questions, and only getting a couple of brief opportunites makes a person a bit too rushed.

The single best piece of advise would be for him to take few breathes in there somewhere, and leave a little room for "dramatic" pause. No need to rush too fast... other than that, everything was ok. Everyone pointed. Might want to eliminate the point and wave of the finger at the same time, but Romney sure needed a scolding!

Richandler
08-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I think we should whole heartly agree Ron Paul should not partake in the same BS all the other candidates do. The way Ron Paul is handling himself is fine. It's the MSM's sheer hatred for him that is holding him back. But once we strike in Ames everything will be different.

Kuldebar
08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Reboot America!

Problem solved.

If image consultants didn't cost upwards of $15k a week, I'd be more prone to agree.

But, let's understand that most Americans will be more exposed to Ron Paul via TV advertisements at some future date.

By the very nature of such things, there will be more polish for Ron Paul's image there via that method.

But, fundamentally Ron Paul isn't going to make himself over for such a thing as image enhancement. It has to do with a code of honor that may be rare today and possibly a handicap, but it's who he is. Don't forget that part of the message is who Paul is, what kind of politician he is and how he differs from all those others.

Even if he were to dye his hair and follow all that advice from image manipulators, his age would still be an issue and any number of other things that go along with being so stubborn and steadfast and, oh, let's not forget, quixotic.

Don't make me over
Now that I'd do anything for you
Don't make me over
Now that you know how I adore you

Don't pick on the things I say, the things I do
Just love me with all my faults, that way that I love you
I'm begging you

Accept me for what I am
Accept me for the things that I do
Accept me for what I am
Accept me for the things that I do

Man from La Mancha
08-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm too focused on the message to be paying attention to all the other BS. It's rare to hear and have presidential candidates speak the way he does, the man is so damn smart and experienced.

I agree, I too am more focused in the message. Has not Ron been saying it's not about him but his message. Can you imagine trying to get your beliefs out while being attacked and saying it right to have add in his head how are my lips, how are my fingers, what is the tone of my voice. Give me a break.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Don't bother guys. You can't script this guy, and if you could, he wouldn't be that candid, genuine to the core person you loved. He is who he is, and he always said he didn't know if he was the best person to carry the message. I happen to think he is, but if you can do a better job, have perfect body language, YOU step in and run. Unfortunately, you'll be as plastic as Romney and will care more about how you come off that what you believe in. (Not directed at any of you in particular -- literary, hypothetical "you.")

Ever notice the correlation between smarmy and good hair/body language?

Besides, did you see him in the MountainView rallyl video? He was relaxed, confident, himself. He just needs us to continue to encourage him. He looks his best when surrounded with supporters.

monotony
08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Here is Ron Paul at the first debate. Notice the upward facing palms in his first response andn confident demeanor. I don't think the finger wagging is as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

Watch Him Here (http://www.youtube.com/v/8Hfa7vT02lA)

I was glad that he was pointing the finger and expressing some anger directed toward the neocons. Shouldn't we all be pissed at the neocons?

Revolution9
08-07-2007, 01:42 AM
He definitely needs help with body language and voice tone. I've worked in sales for years and had much training. This stuff is CRITICAL!

<snip>
Romney and Fred Thompson have it down pat.

You have displaced your opinion with your own answer. We do not want a Romney or a Thompson. They are phony..phony..phony.. Ron Paul is real..real..real..with balls of steel.

My hero is a down home country Doctor who is a Republican. I love him for his unpretentiouness and naturalness. I would dislike very much for him to be other than what he naturally is. i will then have no living heroes I look up to.. Just another politician to look down on for taking me for stooooopid by projecting phony.

Best Regards
Randy

BuddyRey
08-07-2007, 02:59 AM
I can see the rationale behind this, but I think the root cause continues to be the ridiculously short answer times Dr. Paul is allotted in the debates, which causes him to panic and stumble over himself or stutter. Also, I think he's gotten a lot better with the hand-waving and finger-wagging. Just look at the CNN debates a few weeks ago. He was in full-tilt muppet-hands mode!

He does need to lose the pen though, or people in the MSM will start comparing him to Bob Dole.

Revolution9
08-07-2007, 03:22 AM
I
He does need to lose the pen though

This is akin to asking Gandalf to put his staff down! The pen IS mightier than the sword when he wields it.:D He snapped mittwits sword with a minor flourish of his mighty pen!

Best Regards
Randy

Roxi
08-07-2007, 03:28 AM
i hadn't noticed it but im biased, at the iowa debates my bf's dad said he sometimes didn't like his voice because it got whiny (hes a RP supporter)

so i do think others could be turned off by it, but i don't want him to look fake like romney and i dont think america does either

freelance
08-07-2007, 04:37 AM
Romney reminds me of "Barbie doll" Ken!

Jennifer Reynolds
08-07-2007, 05:04 AM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
08-07-2007, 05:06 AM
///

Lois
08-07-2007, 06:02 AM
I think Dr. Paul should stop licking his lips during his speeches.

He's probably Addicted to Lip Balm :)

Dan Klaus
08-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Had a long discusssion with my wife about his gesturing - because that is the one thing she noticed. I felt it took away from his message. However, its about ideas and not looks - but the sorry point is that most people are making their judgements on looks and body language. However, after the debates with Dr. Paul sitting comfortably and speaking with a reporter was the forum and environment where he outshines any candidate. Need more one on one situation where he can get out the message.

Lois
08-07-2007, 06:23 AM
When you say his 'gesturing', do you all mean how he uses his hands and arms when he speaks? Or do you mean that he is trying to get attention when he is at the debate, by certain gestures?

Because I like the way he gestures when he speaks -- I think it's more natural looking than just folding your hands in front or in back of you or clutching the sides of the podium, etc. I think it looks like a person is more natural and relaxed when they gesture.

Omnis
08-07-2007, 06:58 AM
The posture issues, in my opinion, are from old age. Does Ron visit a chiropractor?

I just think he needs to reserve the hand gestures for important points. The final sentence and the "duck soup" comment were well taken opportunities. Otherwise, the flailing can be turned down just a bit.

The real thing that needs to be worked on is the stumbling of words. This was probably his worst debate in that regard. He just needs to speak with more authority, as he acknowledged in the "mistake" question, in order to get across to the myopic idiots who can't take their eyes off of Zit Romney. It's bad when someone thinks you're a whiner.

4Horsemen
08-07-2007, 08:00 AM
He's doing just fine. People picking at his perceived limitations is the last thing he needs. You’re not going to change a 71 y/o man. The people didn't listen to, Ross Perot, because he wasn't as polished as the other criminal liars. Now look at the dilemma this country is in. The problem is getting the sheep to realize how much trouble our country is in; furthermore, the media’s propaganda that brainwashes them into believing that everything is just fine and dandy is the information war we must win. A person's character and past deeds should be the measuring stick, not superficial hand gestures. I'm sure he would do very well against Hillary or Obama if given the opportunity. In fact, he would destroy any candidate in a head to head debate. Hillary and Obama could display the greatest hand gestures and postures, but it won’t be mean much when their getting schooled. I respect the people who are trying to help RP, but sometimes it can go a little overboard. I think analyzing one’s self, and what they could do to help the situation would be more productive. Heck, maybe someone on this board will become a future Congressmen one day. The key is changing how Americans think about government, and holding those who serve to constitutional standards.

Suzu
08-07-2007, 06:28 PM

You don't seem rude, but I think you miss the point, so let me restate it in my own words.

Ron needs all the help he can get. Body language is not just important, it's SUPREMELY important, and changing it costs NOTHING but a bit of coaching and practice.

I've been a drama coach. I would be very glad to work with Dr. Paul on this, for free, using webcam technology. All he has to do is ask.

Suzu
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
the sorry point is that most people are making their judgements on looks and body language

And this happens on a subconscious level.

jj111
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Heck, even Marilyn Monroe wore falsies.

Now that is a piece of trivia I never heard before.