PDA

View Full Version : Brownback campaign asks for donations to buy voting tickets for Iowa

Ira Aten
08-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Below is a copy of an email I received for some reason. (Somehow, I was placed on their campaigns email list for solicitiation) In the fourth paragraph, it presents the solicitation of campaign donations, to pay for Iowa voters to get in to vote. He also pledges in the same letter, in the second to last sentence that if he were to be elected President he would appoint only constructionist Supreme Court Justice nominees. Thought this was interesting, since he sits on the Judiciary Committee of the Senate of the United States. Classy huh? :) .

Dear friends,

It was been a long road with many ups and downs, but we are approaching the very first vote of the election season. Next Saturday, August 11th, the Iowa Republican Party will be hosting their Straw Poll. This vote will make or break many campaigns - and a strong finish in Iowa will generate a lot more excitement into ours. I know we will do well next Saturday. We have won many smaller straw polls earlier this year, but next week is the big one. Due to the importance of the Straw Poll, it is important that we make sure a proven conservative wins it. Will you help me win the Iowa Straw Poll?

Since my announcement on January 20th, I have traveled the country speaking about the issues that need a voice in Washington. I have talked about the dignity of each and every human life. I have discussed the sacred union of marriage as a man and a woman. I have proposed a new system for taxation that allows families to choose what works best for them. And I have warned of the radical jihadist movement that threatens our way of life. Our nominee must defend these principles, and the Iowa Straw Poll is the first opportunity to determine who our nominee is.
People are starting to take notice. An Iowa paper, The Gazette Online had a prominent story last week entitled "Brownback Courts Iowa Evangelicals". Before that, the Associated Press ran a national story, "Brownback Quietly Courting Conservatives". CNN has done a feature piece on their website highlighting the campaign office in Iowa. My opponents have started to take notice, and stepped up their negative attacks. With your support, can continue to set the tone of the debate.

In 1995, Bob Dole won the Straw Poll and went on to win the nomination. In 1999, George W. Bush won the Straw Poll, and then the Presidency. We feel that our campaign is in good shape to win the Straw Poll as well. Our party wins elections when we stick to our principles and fight for them. Our nominee needs to defend life, marriage, low taxes, and support a robust military. I am that candidate, and you can help me win next Saturday. I must ask you to help us in the final lap. Though you may not live in Iowa, you can take part in the Straw Poll.

To vote, an Iowa resident must have a $35 ticket. Since we are asking families to drive out (sometimes as much as a 3 hour drive) to Ames, Iowa in order to vote, we feel it is only right to buy their tickets for them. Will you buy a $35 ticket to the Straw Poll?

As I said, we are in the final lap. We are not spending anything we raise in the next week on expensive media advertisements or high-priced Washington consultants. Rather, your contribution will be specially earmarked to buy tickets for our supporters to vote in the Iowa Straw Poll. Will you make a contribution of $35, $70, or even $140 to our campaign? We can win the Iowa Straw Poll - and with your support, we certainly will.

I am sincerely grateful for your consideration.

Thank you.

Sam Brownback

P.S. Sitting on the Judiciary Committee, I know how important having a conservative President is. Justices Roberts and Alito would not be on the Supreme Court had Al Gore or John Kerry won. If elected, I will nominate strict constructionists to the Court. We must win in 2008. The Iowa Straw Poll is the first vote in the 2008 election. Will you buy a ticket so that our supporters can vote?