PDA

View Full Version : I am speechless

Jodi
02-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I am a precinct captain in a small sw KS town. I was making calls to locate RP supporters with the script provided from the website. Tonight I found 3 at home before I quit calling. I just can't do this so tomorrow I will go door to door instead handing out slim jims. This is what I am getting... On the question of who they would vote for, the answer is mccain and their 3 important issues, immigration, economy and healthcare.
Is that like an oxymoron or just plain ignorance? I don't get it. "Sigh"

morerocklesstalk
02-01-2008, 07:57 PM
I am a precinct captain in a small sw KS town. I was making calls to locate RP supporters with the script provided from the website. Tonight I found 3 at home before I quit calling. I just can't do this so tomorrow I will go door to door instead handing out slim jims. This is what I am getting... On the question of who they would vote for, the answer is mccain and their 3 important issues, immigration, economy and healthcare.

It's all the straight talk. :rolleyes:

Lord Xar
02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
WOW!!!!
How they have been brainwashed. I guess they DO NO realize he is the one FOR AMNESTY!

What did you tell them and what was there reaction? Do they just not know?

Yom
02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Let them know the truth about their choices! Inform them how McCain is soft on immigration (McCain-Kennedy, anyone?), and how RP's the only one who's consistently been tough on it!

morerocklesstalk
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Try reading my thread on McCain. It should be alittle bit down from this thread.
I know it's lengthy but it's my opinion on why McCain does so well with the masses.

Edit: here is the link. give me some input or your thoughts on it.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=108932

morerocklesstalk
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Let them know the truth about their choices! Inform them how McCain is soft on immigration (McCain-Kennedy, anyone?), and how RP's the only one who's consistently been tough on it!

The media has been covering McCain's soft stance though.

Coola
02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
If McCain becomes the next president I want a list of all McCain supporters so I can lower their self-esteem by intense staring.

Jodi
02-01-2008, 08:04 PM
WOW!!!!
How they have been brainwashed. I guess they DO NO realize he is the one FOR AMNESTY!

What did you tell them and what was there reaction? Do they just not know?

The script tells me not to argue, but one older than me lady I know. I asked her why she was for mccain and she said "experience. So I asked her if she knew that he authored the amnesty bill with kennedy that we fought all last summer to kill. She never gave me a real answer to that. But she was sure hot against the illegals at wal-mart. I feel like I'm in quicksand here.

Rhys
02-01-2008, 08:04 PM
yeah, you must go door to door cause people need to be talked to in person. it really takes that. the phone calling isn't very helpful, i found. i only called maybe 20 people before i gave up and the precincts i walked in got very high results in only a few days of walking. i didn't know about it sooner and it still paid dividends.

Highstreet
02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I think canvassing works better anyway. The phone is effective, but slightly less.

aksmith
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
The script tells me not to argue, but one older than me lady I know. I asked her why she was for mccain and she said "experience. So I asked her if she knew that he authored the amnesty bill with kennedy that we fought all last summer to kill. She never gave me a real answer to that. But she was sure hot against the illegals at wal-mart. I feel like I'm in quicksand here.

Jodi - If you can get ahold of it, the campaign has put out a really great voter's guide that's a four-fold glossy piece. It's better than any of the slim jims and it's really the best piece the campaign, or any campaign, has put out this year. It still has Rudy and Thompson on it, but other than that, it's spot on.

We used it in Nevada and actually changed some minds as the people entered the caucus sites. IF you don't have them, then the sovereignty slim jim is okay. But the voter's guide is almost magical.

morerocklesstalk
02-01-2008, 08:11 PM
McCain has heard us and he will make sure to secure the borders first and I'm guessing people believe him when he says that.

seapilot
02-01-2008, 08:28 PM
McCain has heard us and he will make sure to secure the borders first and I'm guessing people believe him when he says that.

sure hes honest when he lies. Just tell that lady that those illegals will suddenly become legal citizens if McCain is elected.

szczebrzeszyn
02-01-2008, 08:33 PM
WOW!!!!

Propaganda is an awful thing and extremely hard to weed out. I spent my childhood under the govt Propaganda, when the popular slogan among folks was 'television is lying' and the only source of information was underground press and other people (but you had 90% of sheeps or brainwashed people around you).
With the current flow of information, it's hard to get to the truth without digging. Masses are too ignorant to dig and thus, they love McCain even though they are anti-Iraq war, immigration etc. This is not US-specific though. It's been already said in Europe numerous times, that there are 2 Republicans left in the race (after Giuliani left).
Will Ron Paul abolish the Department of Propaganda too? :)

Carole
02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
You need to print up that comparison chart for candidates and take it to every house you visit. It is very simple and shows what the candidates stand for.

Carole
02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
You need to print up that comparison chart for candidates and take it to every house you visit. It is very simple and shows what the candidates stand for.

Got to this thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=107906&highlight=comparison+chart
or

http://files.meetup.com/645442/Candi...on%20Chart.pdf

Here it is:
http://files.meetup.com/645442/Candidate%20Comparison%20Chart.pdf

raystone
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
here's another way to make precinct calls if one doesn't like the advocacy approach.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=103141

also, here's a great premade flyer ready to mail, stick in doors...

www.manofcommonsense.com

UnitedWeStand
02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Ive gotten some second thoughts from people just by being very. very genuinely nice to them. Respect is certainly something they wont get from another campaign.

Once, I accidentally called the same number twice, and when the woman answered she said, "Oh im so glad you called back, I felt so bad for hanging up on you, you sounded so nice--I felt terrible..."

And once while lit-dropping I saw a man who DID NOT want any information, in a very cold go-to-hell kind of way. I very genuinely said, ok, have a good rest of the day, and proceeded. A few houses later, he came out of his garage and said, "Ma'am? I think I do want some of your information, I havent really had a chance to research any of the candidates yet" and we talked for awhilel afterwards.=)

People like to feel knowledgable. They like to feel informed and that they have done their job researching the right candidate. Its rare that you will find someone who doesnt know any of "the names" by now--they want to throw a name at you to prove they are good citizens. When confronted with one of these I have said, " Oh Im so glad that youve taken the time to research the candidates, this is a really important election. I mustve changed my mind 2 or 3 times this election season." (which is partly true because I did like Fred before I knew of Ron Paul.)
DVDs are a great way to help tv media people understand.

transistor
02-01-2008, 08:51 PM
my relatives in kansas are neo-cons and yet they hire illegal mexicans to work on their farm and they don't think there's anything wrong about it

RonneJJones
02-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I think this radio ad will change a few minds...play it for them
http://thinkclips.blogspot.com/2008/02/clintons-sold-china-blueprints-to-us.html

Ron LOL
02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
This is roughly the same result I had when I called Iowa. It just doesn't work.

expatriot
02-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Ive gotten some second thoughts from people just by being very. very genuinely nice to them. Respect is certainly something they wont get from another campaign.
People like to feel knowledgable. They like to feel informed and that they have done their job researching the right candidate. Its rare that you will find someone who doesnt know any of "the names" by now--they want to throw a name at you to prove they are good citizens. When confronted with one of these I have said, " Oh Im so glad that youve taken the time to research the candidates, this is a really important election. I mustve changed my mind 2 or 3 times this election season." (which is partly true because I did like Fred before I knew of Ron Paul.)
DVDs are a great way to help tv media people understand.

That's an impressive and you deserve some recognition.

What a lot of us need to realize is that we, in a few short weeks,
are educating people who never got the opportunity to hear the truth.

And education, as any gradeschool teacher (please speak up!)
is not a game of stuffing heads with ideas but getting students
to want the knowledge so they can feel better about themselves.

I never taught anyone, but I helped several thousand interested students learn.

The people out there just need you to show them something that
begs for their interest - a handle they can pull on to find out more,
an initial little string that says 'what happens if you pull this string?'
(Hence the popularity here of the 'red pill' analogy.)

Just my take.
I am 100% certain there is someone else here who can explain the concept
in a better way.

syborius
02-01-2008, 09:20 PM

We should have "attack" slimJims attacking the other guys positions, because people just do not know. If the filth was ever exposed on these other idiots, like 100 year Mcwar, we would be in this thing. BUT, here we are, with an uninformed public voting for Mcwar to get out of the war in the "live free or Diebold" state of New Hampshire

szczebrzeszyn
02-01-2008, 09:20 PM
my relatives in kansas are neo-cons and yet they hire illegal mexicans to work on their farm and they don't think there's anything wrong about it

hehe, my father on every possible occasion throws shit at the doctors for their corruption ("they take bribes and thus drive great cars and have nice houses and now they want to strike to earn even more!") and I always have to remind him, that he corrupts police everytime it's possible (bribe instead of ticket). He always gets pissed off after that :) But I think he still doesn't get it. Maybe it's the same with your relatives..

dawnbt
02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
If McCain becomes the next president I want a list of all McCain supporters so I can lower their self-esteem by intense staring.

LMAO!!

rmholla
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I find that if you just point out his actual stance on the issue that people will act surprised, say "Really?" and then you can slide into a conversation about it. I always say that it isn't their fault, lots of people think McCain is for ____ and just state that the media is also to blame for not reporting the facts.

I try really really hard not to embarrass the person or make them feel stupid. I just ask them to look into Ron Paul because his stance on the issue is more inline with theirs than McCain.

Be nice, it works.

-

smartpeople4ronpaul
02-01-2008, 10:02 PM
You have more self-control than I do. I would've slapped them in the head and scream.

eddie83
02-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Just something I noticed with a few people I know, some for RP some not. Depending on age, McCain is still remember from 2000 when he bowed down to GWB. Many people see McCain as the same guy they supported in 2000. The guy has made a few less than conservative statements and opinions since then and no one noticed. I'm not saying that he was anything special in 2000, but he has a lot of name recognition right now with the rank and file.