PDA

View Full Version : Calling people's home telephone numbers

noztnac
02-01-2008, 05:35 PM
It has come to my attention that there are a number of different groups making phone calls on Ron Paul's behalf. Some are making calls using real people and some are making automated calls. Not everyone is the same but I personally find people I don't know calling me on my private telephone to be extremely rude. I don't care why they are calling or what they are promoting. I don't want anyone that I don't know personally to ever call me. I consider it an invasion of privacy. It really pisses me off and further reminds me that my telephone number is out there floating around amongst groups of people, businesses, corporations, and God knows who else.

I recently returned to South Carolina to vote. My parents had decided at my constant urging to vote for Ron Paul. Right before we left to go vote the phone rang with an automated call for Ron Paul. My parents were not amused. They don't like calls from anyone that they do not personally know. I was put in a very awkward position. It got even worse though when they hung up the phone only to be immediately called by the again by the same number. This happened three times and they just pulled the phone off the hook. We went to vote and when we came back everything was fine.

Anyway, I don't think this sort of thing helps the campaign at all.

What do you think?

IDefendThePlatform
02-06-2008, 06:13 AM
I mostly agree with your point about not cold-calling non-supporters. It probably turns just as many people off as it brings in new people. Door-to door canvassing and direct mail are much better, in my opinion. In your case I'm guessing you gave your phone number to an RP group and they were calling you to "get out the vote". If that's the case then I don't have a problem with that. Just my thoughts. Of course, I wouldn't ever really discourage any RP supporter from getting involved, even with cold-calling strangers.

noztnac
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
I mostly agree with your point about not cold-calling non-supporters. It probably turns just as many people off as it brings in new people. Door-to door canvassing and direct mail are much better, in my opinion. In your case I'm guessing you gave your phone number to an RP group and they were calling you to "get out the vote". If that's the case then I don't have a problem with that. Just my thoughts. Of course, I wouldn't ever really discourage any RP supporter from getting involved, even with cold-calling strangers.

I'm in South Korea. I went home to vote. While I was there my parents received calls. They never give out their phone number to anyone but friends.