PDA

View Full Version : Texas= 140 Delegates... A Ron Paul Win?

IowaGarrett
02-01-2008, 05:07 PM
What happens when Ron Paul marches to Texas? Who will secure the state's delegates numbering 140 altogether?

Ron Paul?

Thoughts?

newyearsrevolution08
02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
one candidate has got a TON of money from texas "government officials". not really trying to encourage him so I will leave it at that.

I think ron paul could get the delegates BUT the texas "officials" are backing someone who will keep their fat pockets fat.

raystone
02-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Texas IVR Polls
Margin of Error: +/- 3.6%
Sampling Size: 735
January 10, 2008 Mike Huckabee 26%, John McCain 24%, Fred Thompson 12%, Mitt Romney 11%, Rudy Giuliani 10%, Ron Paul 4%, Duncan Hunter 3%, Alan Keyes 0%, Undecided 8%

IowaGarrett
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
How could Paul not come out on top in this state? The biggest problem Paul has faced in thei race has been the fact that no one has known who he is? Not the case in Texas. How many times has the electorate voted Paul in?

Im not sure I'm jumping to adopt this poll in light of Paul being elected by these same people multiple times.

Times have changed quite a bit since January 10th as well. Huckabee is practically a lame duck now. And the rest of the pack have went belly up.

raystone
02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
he's up to 8% in TX now according to a new thread

RSLudlum
02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Hopefully Texans know McCain's trackrecord on immigration!!!

Elwar
02-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Texas is not a winner take all state.

If you get more than 50% you get all the delegates, but if you get less than 50% it goes proportionally to the candidates that get over 20%.

Maverick
02-02-2008, 12:28 PM
How could Paul not come out on top in this state? The biggest problem Paul has faced in thei race has been the fact that no one has known who he is? Not the case in Texas. How many times has the electorate voted Paul in?

Here's the thing though. The people in Lake Jackson know who Ron Paul is. The rest of the state has no fucking clue.

one candidate has got a TON of money from texas "government officials". not really trying to encourage him so I will leave it at that.

I think ron paul could get the delegates BUT the texas "officials" are backing someone who will keep their fat pockets fat.

Damn right on that one. Believe me when I tell you that the Texas GOP is not on our side.

Elwar
02-02-2008, 12:54 PM
One of my favorite quotes while handing out slim jims at First Friday...

"who is this Ron Paul guy and why does San Antonio like him so much?"

Elwar
02-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Damn right on that one. Believe me when I tell you that the Texas GOP is not on our side.

Considering Ron Paul regularly handily beats the Democrat candidate with over 60% of the vote and the TX GOP still tries to unseat him in the primaries tells you how much they love him.

IPSecure
02-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Texas IVR Polls
Margin of Error: +/- 3.6%
Sampling Size: 735
January 10, 2008 Mike Huckabee 26%, John McCain 24%, Fred Thompson 12%, Mitt Romney 11%, Rudy Giuliani 10%, Ron Paul 4%, Duncan Hunter 3%, Alan Keyes 0%, Undecided 8%

The reason is due to all of the illegal immigrants. McFly is offering amnesty!

The governer is a pathetic joke of an American, could care less about rules of law!

These people will elect our delegates - HELP!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6X-xtVask

:eek:

DFF
02-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I live in Spring, TX (only a few miles from Houston) and I meet people all the time who still have no clue who Ron Paul is.

Damn MSM.

It makes me wish I were a multi-millionaire.

If so, I'd put up two RP for President billboards nearby: one on I-45 and the other on 1960 E outside of Bush-Intercontinental Airport.

Each would have have customized RP graphics and as a kicker at the top they would say "Hey, Fox, CNN, NBC, - CENSOR THIS!" followed by an arrow pointing straight to Ron.

Unspun
02-02-2008, 01:28 PM
How many times has the electorate voted Paul in?

Yes, but that's only one district out of thirty two districts in Texas.

The One
02-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I live in Texas, and I have yet to see a single ad on TV or hear a single ad on the radio.

OptionsTrader
02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
I live in Texas, and I have yet to see a single ad on TV or hear a single ad on the radio.

I heard a radio ad last week on the way to work ~ 7am on the biz radio network I believe.

Crickett
02-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Any way to somehow spread this around???

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=108005

All Texas would vote for him if they read this...

therealjjj77
02-02-2008, 01:57 PM
This is where canvassing comes in. We can't change the media stations but we can personally reach out to people in our communities.

Sky22
02-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I live in Lake Jackson, and we are a somewhat isolated little community. It's mostly conservative here. Even the democrats here are mostly old school conservative. Believe me, there are still plenty of people in our county who are uninformed and still not Ron Paul supporters. He has pissed quite a few people off because of his strong Constitutional stance, and they don't understand his views for not supporting bringing home the bacon for our District. And, as with all across our great country, most of our electorate is pretty uninformed and feeds off the mainstream media. Sometimes, I myself am even amazed that he continues to be re-elected as our congressman because his views are too academic for the average Joe (sorry for anyone named Joe!) in our community. We still have plenty of work to do even in Brazoria County believe it or not! I actually had 2 separate contractors doing work for me that insisted Ron Paul performed abortions and they could never vote for him...one even supported Edwards....go there? It's a tough road when you would think our town would be swimming in support. It is absolutely amazing that he seems to get more support across the country than in our home town! Even in my neighborhood there are no signs....I live down the street from him btw, but maybe people just think it would be silly to put out his signs, since he lives by us....I can't figure it out.

Laja
02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I live in Lake Jackson, and we are a somewhat isolated little community. It's mostly conservative here. Even the democrats here are mostly old school conservative. Believe me, there are still plenty of people in our county who are uninformed and still not Ron Paul supporters. He has pissed quite a few people off because of his strong Constitutional stance, and they don't understand his views for not supporting bringing home the bacon for our District. And, as with all across our great country, most of our electorate is pretty uninformed and feeds off the mainstream media. Sometimes, I myself am even amazed that he continues to be re-elected as our congressman because his views are too academic for the average Joe (sorry for anyone named Joe!) in our community. We still have plenty of work to do even in Brazoria County believe it or not! I actually had 2 separate contractors doing work for me that insisted Ron Paul performed abortions and they could never vote for him...one even supported Edwards....go there? It's a tough road when you would think our town would be swimming in support. It is absolutely amazing that he seems to get more support across the country than in our home town! Even in my neighborhood there are no signs....I live down the street from him btw, but maybe people just think it would be silly to put out his signs, since he lives by us....I can't figure it out.

I was at the Victoria rally Saturday and there was a huge turnout. The people at the M2M Outdoor event were cordial to him, but most seemed like numbed out zombies in that community center. The rally was where the zealous Ron Paul supporters showed up. MTV filmed the rally and from there, he went and did the MTV Presidential Forum.

Most Americans have been dumbed down by television and newspapers. We can't blame them. They just don't know. What we can do is put RP signs out (even if he lives down the street--don't you think he'd love to see them in his neighbors' yards??) and canvass, canvass, canvass. Especially because early voting starts soon.

tommyzDad
02-04-2008, 11:46 AM
....and they don't understand his views for not supporting bringing home the bacon for our District....

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought Dr. Paul was being called a "hypocrite" for not believing in "earmarks" yet still voting to have money sent back to his district.

tamor
02-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't forget how HUGE Texas is -- they are not part of super Tuesday -- attack after Tuesday

Chester Copperpot
02-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Okay, now I'm confused. I thought Dr. Paul was being called a "hypocrite" for not believing in "earmarks" yet still voting to have money sent back to his district.

HE never votes for those earmarks... he puts them in because his constituency asks him to.. (its part of his job) but he tells them he will vote against it as well.. and he never has voted for an earmark.

Primbs
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
If Romney and McCain and Paul split the delegates on Super Tuesday, Texas starts to become a huge primary. McCain might try to secure the nomination with that state if he is not stopped now.

You could still stop him in Texas and prevent McCain from getting the nomination.

After Tuesday and next week, one candidate is going to have 600 delegates.

http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide/2008/primaries/republicanprimaries/index.html

Sky22
02-04-2008, 01:03 PM
"HE never votes for those earmarks... he puts them in because his constituency asks him to.. (its part of his job) but he tells them he will vote against it as well.. and he never has voted for an earmark."

exactly, he Represents our district by putting the earmarks in the bill as our locals wish, so they get "Representation" in Congress, but, then performs his Constitutional duty by voting against the bills if he believes the budgeting process is fundamentally not supported by the Constitution. It's a double edged sword being a Congressman, because he rightfully believes that he must "Represent" the wishes of his constituency, but is also sworn to uphold the Constitution.
This is just too much for our average voter to understand, because most of them were sleeping during Civics class! He really is the smartest most noble person running for office who performs his service to the people like the founding fathers intended.

constituent
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Here's the thing though. The people in Lake Jackson know who Ron Paul is. The rest of the state has no fucking clue.

naaaah... well, my whole stomping grounds have at one point or another been in his district... he's wildly popular here.

-not to say he doesn't have his detractors...

our #1 enemy in texas is the G.O.P. and the fascist bastards that twice elected the shrub.

they're just as bad as that traitor rick perry, and that's why the vote for him.

i tell ya what.

terlinguatx
02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, Ron Paul needs to stress the importance of this state and communicate our likeliehood of winning. This will rally the base and get the media talking about him. OUR CHANCES ARE IN TEXAS ARE THE BEST I'VE SEEN. I canvassed in New Hampshire and Nevada too.

constituent
02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Yes, Ron Paul needs to stress the importance of this state and communicate our likeliehood of winning. This will rally the base and get the media talking about him. OUR CHANCES ARE IN TEXAS ARE THE BEST I'VE SEEN. I canvassed in New Hampshire and Nevada too.

of course, the only problem is this.....

if you associate w/ a party during the primaries, you cannot petition to have an independent candidate added to the ballot later

noztnac
02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I live in Spring, TX (only a few miles from Houston) and I meet people all the time who still have no clue who Ron Paul is.

Damn MSM.

It makes me wish I were a multi-millionaire.

If so, I'd put up two RP for President billboards nearby: one on I-45 and the other on 1960 E outside of Bush-Intercontinental Airport.

Each would have have customized RP graphics and as a kicker at the top they would say "Hey, Fox, CNN, NBC, - CENSOR THIS!" followed by an arrow pointing straight to Ron.

Those people are morons. It's not purely the mainstream media's fault. I live in South Korea and have known about Ron Paul since his 1988 presidential run. Too many Americans are fat, ignorant, and lazy and have taken their freedoms for granted. The mainstream media is all f--cked up. But these American people are truly to blame for letting them get away with it.:mad:

yaz
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM

I live in Tyler, Texas and I've heard 1 ad on the radio and saw one on TV.

austin4paul
02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm from Austin. We are geared up, organized and ready to go! In Travis County (biggest county here) we have 217 precincts and 218 Precinct Leaders (some are still vacant, some are double-teamed). We've got 8 County Coordinators, each working with a group of PLs to make sure that everyone knows how to canvass, how the precinct convention process works, etc.

We also have 50 people that are on the ballot running for Pct. Chair. These people will make the rules for the Republican party at a local level. 2/3rd of them are running unopposed, so those people will be a "Ron Paul voice" in Texas politics for the next 2 years. We're making it happen here, folks!

Here's a couple of projects you can help us with:

1) The Travis County Adopt-a-Precinct Project (Out-of-State Supported Phone Banks) - I have spreadsheets available of all of the voters and their phone numbers for each precinct. I am looking for meet-up groups who can adopt one of more precincts and work with the Precinct Leader to do non-advocacy voter-identification calls. This will free the PL and our local supporters to focus solely on door-to-door canvassing.

2) The Great Texas Letter Bomb! (Out-of-State supported letter writing campaign). I have access to a list of about 150,000 voters that signed petitions to put the independent candidates on the ballot for the 2006 gubernatorial election. We want to send a typewritten letter to each of them. We'd like to send names to your meet-up group and have you print the letters, stuff the envelopes, stamp the letters and then send them back in one big box so we can postmark them locally.

If your meet-up group can help with either of these projects, send me a PM and let me know.

Lisa Mallory
Travis County Coordinator

tommyzDad
02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
HE never votes for those earmarks... he puts them in because his constituency asks him to.. (its part of his job) but he tells them he will vote against it as well.. and he never has voted for an earmark.

Okay, thanks, Mike, for clearing that up.

Gadsden Flag
02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
When Ron Paul ran for Congress in 1996, the Texas and national Republican party gave his opponent in the Republican party almost $1 million dollars and gave none to RP.

So don't expect much support from the Texas republicans.

abruzz0
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Hopefully Texans know McCain's trackrecord on immigration!!!

McCain ran a radio ad here in California, talking about himself as being strict and firm on illegal immigration

Made me want to puke every time I heard it

I wonder if that's why close to 1 million retards voted for him yesterday in Mexifornia

JordanQ72
02-06-2008, 04:00 PM

That's sideways reasoning at best. You can equally argue that he writes the earmarks himself but votes how his constituency wants. Plus, there's the claim that it's part of his job. According to who? No congressman writes every single piece of legislation, yet you're claiming that's how people are supposed to be represented by the people they elect? I would figure that they're supposed to vote how their constituency wants, because that happens constantly.

Bruce4Ron
02-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll tell you what the problem is with Texas and the rest of these bastards.

In Ron Pauls world you wont be able to put your hand in the cookie jar when you want to. You won't be able to bribe the cookie man to give you the frosted cookies only. In Ron Paul's world you won't be able to say you didn't eat any cookies when in fact you took half the jar.

They don't like that. They want to do what they want with the cookies and that includes giving their friends some. So what do they do? They get together in the special cookie room and they come up with ways to screw you over. Thats what they do. Even if they have to vote in one of your competitors. Because at least with a competitor they can still get some cookies.

I hate them.