PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain a Brokered Convention

icon124
02-01-2008, 12:58 PM
As someone who NEVER even cared about politics until this year I'm so confused when it comes to a brokered convention. I don't understand why Ron Paul would want this. How does this help us? Someone help me please! ;)

Redcard
02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
A brokered convention is basically a convention where no candidate for the nomination gets over 50% of the vote.

It turns "brokered" in the sense that people would now make deals.

As for Ron Paul wanting it, supposedly the strategy going on is that delegates are being .. placed.. into position that favor Ron Paul. Once they become "unbound" after two or three votes through, the tactic is that they switch their votes to Dr. Paul.

I think it's a bad idea. I think that the front runners would share delegates if they found themselves in danger, and the only other way it works out is if McCain or Mitt come to Ron and offer him the Veep.

lasenorita
02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Watch the video featured on this page:

https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/

And sign up to become a precinct leader. (If you haven't already!)

Arek
02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I thought they needed 2/3 to get the nomination.

Redcard
02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
No.. 2/3rds is needed to suspend the rules..

Redcard
02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't mind the process itself.. I don't think that's what's wrong. I think what's wrong is the assessment. I think we don't have enough delegates secured to us to make us a big enough bargaining chip. As it stands, it looks like Mitt and Mc can team up and that's it.

Ithink the best we can get going this way is VP, and that's IF MittMc don't make a deal between themselves and IF we can get 5 states worth of delegates to go our way and nominate us.