PDA

View Full Version : help me set up a march in DC for spring break

Cinderella
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
i have been interested for a long time in setting up some sort of gathering where we can get as many people as possible to take the time to go to DC so we can march and spread the word of freedom.......kind of like how it was done in the 60's....i dont kno how far fetched this idea may seem and im only one person but wouldnt it be amazing if we could all get together and make some noise??????

JimInNY
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
It's no easy undertaking, but it would be great!

You need a budget of about $30k probably nowadays.

To avoid running afoul of the law, you need a permit, you need to rent porta jons for the anticipated crowd, you need a sound system and stage, which can be rented, and you need insurance.

virginiakid
02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a huge march against the fed and irs on april 15?

KevinR
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
As a student at U of Maryland CP, I can be there in 10 minutes :D

Bryan
02-01-2008, 12:23 PM
FYI: http://www.ourspringbreak.org

fuzzybekool
02-01-2008, 12:27 PM
i have been interested for a long time in setting up some sort of gathering where we can get as many people as possible to take the time to go to DC so we can march and spread the word of freedom.......kind of like how it was done in the 60's....i dont kno how far fetched this idea may seem and im only one person but wouldnt it be amazing if we could all get together and make some noise??????

Thank you - I have advocating this idea since November. I am lousy at organizing and work a gazillion hours a week, but I would love to help.

Some ideas I been thinking about. Getting the Meet-UP members ideas and feel them out if they would go. They can then organize themselves. Rent buses or organize car caravans to get everyone there and back.

We can use facebook and myspace and youtube videos to also spread the word and get excitment built before the event.

Spring Break would be perfect timing. Cherry blossoms blooming in DC. Weather should be nicer and alot of people would be off or kids off from school.

I am onboard.

icon124
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I live in Baltimore and could be there in 50 minutes!

Cinderella
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
It's no easy undertaking, but it would be great!

You need a budget of about $30k probably nowadays.

To avoid running afoul of the law, you need a permit, you need to rent porta jons for the anticipated crowd, you need a sound system and stage, which can be rented, and you need insurance.

wow seems like alot of work but ive always wanted to make a difference and i want us to be heard....what would be the first steps toward making this happen??

im sure the budget wouldnt be a problem seeing as we have no problem raising money.....but i have no idea how to go about getting a permit or insurance??

JimInNY
02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
To obtain a permit, you contact the The DC police dept, I believe. You also need to reserve space for the rally. If it is to be on the mall, you do that through the national parks department.

I am only guessing at $30k. I worked with a couple of rallies in DC back in 99 and 2000. One of the largest expenses was renting porta jons, believe it or not. If you expect 250K people, you need like 1000 porta jons. lol

Sound stage and equipment rental can cost a few thousand to rent if you expect a large gathering.

There are a lot of details that need to be handled, but I guess the starting place is to see if there is interest in the idea. It sucks to throw a party and have no one come. That happened in the 99 effort I worked on. Based on response, we figured 10k people and got 500.

But now, I see an entirely different attitude out there. People ARE showing up. I think you could get a real nice turnout.

Cinderella
02-01-2008, 12:55 PM
bump.....anyone intrested should pm me....or show some support....i dont want to start something this big for nothing....its not even about ron paul at this point...its about sending a message its about our freedom to stand up to the gov that has been keeping us down for so long.....id hope alot of college students would go....veterans....seniors....working class etc

fuzzybekool
02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes , it is a great idea. I guess how much support is what we need to find out. I have tried in the forums in the past , but maybe now more people are open to Cinderella's idea.

Cinderella
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
bump

Cinderella
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
any supporters for this idea?? or is it a long shot

fuzzybekool
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
BUMP for SUPPORT if ANY

patriotic_dad
02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
My wife and I are in!! We have tons of air miles saved on our credit card to use.. We have been looking for something to use them on.. THIS WOULD BE PERFECT! Plus we have wanted to go to D.C for sometime! Put a Ron Paul rally on top of that, we couldn't ask for anything more! We went to the Reagan Library and there was so much energy and excitement! I could only imagine the power and energy at a rally like what is being talked about here...

Cinderella
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
bump....a few have responded...