PDA

View Full Version : Valid Criticism Of Ron Paul From Talk Radio

WilliamC
02-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Today I called into the Ben Ferguson show again, which was being guest hosted by Andrew Clarksenior. While no fan of Ron Paul, Mr. Clarksenior is certainly more fair and even in his opinions.

A previous caller had just called in and said, while he thinks Ron Paul is a Conservative, he also thinks Ron Paul is anti-American because he criticises too much. Why people can't listen to the words and only hear the tone I don't know, but too many have this opinion.

Mr. Clarkseniors primary criticism of Ron Paul is that he is too negative and doesn't present a positive vision for America. He let me talk for ~5 minutes or so and I repeatedly made the point that Ron Paul has plenty of positive things to say but since he gets so little time to speak during the debate his message can't get out. All in all it was a good conversation. At the end I did say that if anyone wanted to hear the positive things Ron Paul has to say just go to his website and watch his video monologs about the various issues.

Below is my follow-up email to Mr. Clarksenior. For whatever good it does.

Greetings Andrew,

Thank you for taking my call this morning and giving me ample time to speak.

Your criticism of Ron Paul and that he does not present a positive message or
optimistic vision for the United States is quite valid, and is something that
many of his grassroots supporters have struggled with over these past few
months. While it would be great if he were the orator that Barack Obama or even
Mike Huckabee is, that is not the case. However, you must admit that, during
debates, Ron Paul is marginalized, interrupted, and even laughed by the other
candidates while he is trying to explain his positions. It sort of makes it
difficult for what he says to connect with the audience when he is being mocked
while saying it. Yet connect to the audience he does, as revealed in the
applause he gets during debates and the donations he gets from his supporters.

However I also sense that part of what you are saying is that you prefer style
over substance, a flashy presentation over a 20+ year consistent voting record,
and someone who looks and sounds good over someone who will actually do good. I
really don't think you believe that, but I do believe that if Ron Paul's message
were being talked about by, say, Mike Huckabee, that it would be much better
received by you and the public at large. Ironically enough, Mike Huckabee and
the other Republican candidates have indeed co-opted large parts of Ron Paul's
message during the course of their campaigns. Notice how many of them are now
talking about the US "borrowing money from China"? Ron Paul was saying this from
the beginning.

If you wish to take 10 minutes to watch a video that directly addresses Ron
Paul's foreign policy, using clips from the debates, and puts this policy in the
perspective of two great orators who also believed in the Constitution more than
the Government, please watch this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io7k-RMHEA4

Despite the comment at the beginning about it being "banned" from YouTube, there
is no vulgarity or profanity or any type of offensive language. It simply
juxtaposes speeches from John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr., and Ron Paul
in order to highlight the common vision that these three men share for America.

Andrew, it is easy to go with the crowd and follow the popular, but it requires
a bit more effort to look beneath the surface and see the truth about the men
who are running for President. The Republican party is in deep trouble with the
rise of the neoconservative ideology and the infiltration by liberals such as
John McCain and Mitt Romney. True American Conservatism is based on the respect
for Constitution, and unless it abides by the Constitution the United States
Government is really no different from any other on Earth. The spirit of liberty
and independence that makes America unique cannot continue if the Federal
Government becomes the oppressor of individual rights instead of the protector
of individual rights. That is why I, and so many others, are behind Ron Paul,
because he has been the champion of the Constitution his entire political
career.

Ryan_G
02-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Imho, you are going to have a hard time convincing a conservative based on the ideas of JFK. Especially when the next paragraph you talk about infiltration of the party by liberals?

WilliamC
02-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Imho, you are going to have a hard time convincing a conservative based on the ideas of JFK

Mr. Clarksenior is an African American Conservative.

And these days, JFK would be considered a conservative more than George Bush.

KewlRonduderules
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
The reality= We have LOTS of problems that need to be faced.

Dr. Paul is right on target.

Mister Grieves
02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
And these days, JFK would be considered a conservative more than George Bush.

There's no doubt about that. That's why I always find it amusing when liberals invoke JFK's name but rarely, if ever, what the man was trying to stand for.

BillyDkid
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Look, America is not it's leaders. It is it's people. The things done in the name of America rarely represent the actual will of the people. Criticizing the administration and the foreign policy of the administration has nothing to do with criticizing America. People continually conflate the government - which to a very large extent is completely out of the hands of the American people - with America itself and the American people is a very big mistake. George Bush and his adminstration is not America. Most people in the world understand that.

garyallen59
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
there is a reason his message is negative

it's because we are in danger as a country

he provides the negative and offers the positive solution but no one wants to listen or heed his warnings

just like the prophets of the bible they would provide the negative news from God and tell the king or people what to do to regain favor in God's sight but they would not listen

in the end bringing God's wrath

WilliamC
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Look, America is not it's leaders. It is it's people. The things done in the name of America rarely represent the actual will of the people. Criticizing the administration and the foreign policy of the administration has nothing to do with criticizing America. People continually conflate the government - which to a very large extent is completely out of the hands of the American people - with America itself and the American people is a very big mistake. George Bush and his adminstration is not America. Most people in the world understand that.

Unfortunately most Americans do not understand and think any criticism of the President or his policies is automatically a criticism of the Country.

RochesterRyan
02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah....so freedom is a negative message, huh

hawks4ronpaul
02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, no matter how much time RP gets, he needs to be 67% positive and end with a positive solution.

Supporters can go negative a bit more but also need to balance and end with a positive solution.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Kade
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately most Americans do not understand and think any criticism of the President or his policies is automatically a criticism of the Country.

And who do you think sold them that trash?

Fox news and Rush Limbaugh are one of the major reasons for this country's divide.

Consider what they sell, and how they sell it. If you are against us, you hate America, if you don't like the war, you are not a patriot.

Trash.

RageAgainstDC
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
that's the number one complaint I hear from non-supporters. He REALLY needs to lay off blaming American policy and just talk about positive change. Style wins over substance. We need more of it.

dannno
02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't find the criticism valid. He's being honest. Excellent letter, though!!

WilliamC
02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't find the criticism valid. He's being honest. Excellent letter, though!!

Unfortunately too many people do find it valid.

Months ago I emailed the campaign a suggestion that Ron Paul repackage his message to better appeal to the masses.

This is exactly why, because the masses who vote do so based on emotion, no reason.

They want someone to make them feel good, not just someone who is good.

Too late now though, we'll just have to do the best we can with the message as it's being presented.

jarofclay
02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
that's the number one complaint I hear from non-supporters. He REALLY needs to lay off blaming American policy and just talk about positive change. Style wins over substance. We need more of it.

Yikes! Just because it looks good doesn't mean it doesn't have AIDS. Substance is where its at.