PDA

View Full Version : My experiences with Precinct leader Phone calls so far

teshuah
02-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I do not like the advocacy script. I have been calling and saying that I am Teshu'ah, a neighbor who lives in their city (with a general location) and ask if they have a moment. I get a positive response with this. Then I proceed and tell them I am a Volunteer supporter with the Ron Paul campaign just calling trying to get an idea of who my neighbors might be supporting in the upcoming Democratic or Republican Caucus. I have only had one person say they believe that is personal information they should share. If they are undecided, I ask them do they generally lean Republican or Democrat. They answer and then I ask them what their top concerns are right now. I feel out each call. If it seems they might be receptive to hearing about Ron Paul’s response on one of those issues I ask them if they I may share with them what Ron Paul would do regarding that issue. Most times I end up giving the Ron Paul website. I encourage them to attend the caucus for Ron Paul if they seem receptive to the message over the phone and give the location.

One supporter was a Ron Paul supporter but knew nothing of the Caucus and he’s even on the School Board in town here! I encouraged him to come and try to be a delegate. I also spoke with a 20yo who wasn’t “into politics”. I asked what the most important issue is and it was abortion. I told him about the Sanctity of Life act and he was pretty much hooked. I ended up the call hearing him typing in the RP2008 website on the computer as I told him the URL. I was able to educate him on taxes and the economy and the importance of the caucus and warned him about a possible draft if we continue in war. He didn’t like to hear about that.

We need to win our Precincts for Ron Paul. I have encountered far more undecided’s than anything on the phones here. And, even those who want the war ended still want to see McCain in office! I pressed the woman with the 100 years comment he made and she assured me that they never do what they say on the campaign trail so she didn't believe it. I mentioned he thought it was okay we were still in Korea and other places at 50 years or so and used that as justification for a long-term stay in Iraq. She said, "Whatever. We're still voting for McCain."

I encountered one woman who just heard about Ron Paul the first time yesterday on a talk radio show in town whom the host doesn't even like Ron Paul! She said she liked what she heard about Ron's stance and wanted to learn more. She went right to the website.

Another supporter I called said he wouldn't vote for anyone BUT Ron Paul but he didn't want to caucus. His hangup was he didn't want to be a delegate - did that before and was too much work for him. But I managed to convince him to strongly consider coming on Tuesday night to vote for those of us Ron Paul supporters who would love to be a delegate.

There are many other stories ---- the point being... get busy! Only a few days left in the Super Tuesday states and One day left til Maine! If you're shy, push past it and make the first couple of calls. It gets much easier the more you go on. I have had many say they wouldn't go to caucus or can't because of schedule but they weren't Ron Paul supporters anyway. Stay positive to whom you're calling and even let the dems that you can't convert over know where their caucus/primary site is. Most people don't know where it is and what time/date.

theantirobot
02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm going to be calling mine after the canvassing is complete, so hopefully I'll have better results.