PDA

View Full Version : New to donating... have ?s

bj72
02-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi, feel a bit silly asking this....I'm new to donating, not new really to politics or RP.

Is it better to donate as a couple $102, or say $51 each when donating, or does it not matter either way? Guess I'm wondering if amount of people, or the amount of individual donations is tallied over the overall donation total in the end.

Neither my husband, nor I have ever donated to a campaign. We'd give more, but he's in the military, I stay-at-home, and we have 3 munchkins, so our budget is weighing on us. I thought we'd start at $51 each ($102 total) and see how it goes from there. I'm debating whether to do it now (I briefly discussed it with him today...I'm up late in CA courtesy of our 4 month old), or wait and see if he'll go for more tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

acroso
02-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Better all as one since there are transaction fees for online payments.

Either way though since those don't cost too much.

If you're sending a check then it won't matter.

Chibioz
02-01-2008, 02:52 AM
For each credit card transaction there is a small fixed cost and a percentage that is eaten in credit transaction fees, so it is better to do it in 1 shot so as to avoid any fixed fees. I do not know the exact fixed amounts or percentages. Hope that helps.

pacelli
02-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi, feel a bit silly asking this....I'm new to donating, not new really to politics or RP.

Is it better to donate as a couple $102, or say $51 each when donating, or does it not matter either way? Guess I'm wondering if amount of people, or the amount of individual donations is tallied over the overall donation total in the end.

Neither my husband, nor I have ever donated to a campaign. We'd give more, but he's in the military, I stay-at-home, and we have 3 munchkins, so our budget is weighing on us. I thought we'd start at $51 each ($102 total) and see how it goes from there. I'm debating whether to do it now (I briefly discussed it with him today...I'm up late in CA courtesy of our 4 month old), or wait and see if he'll go for more tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

The only thing that matters is you donate what you can afford right now, might as well stick with the agreed upon budget and then check with him in the morning.

Only downside is that you won't be able to write a personal note to Ron & Carol Paul if you space it out -- that is $201 all-in donation. :)

BreakYourChains
02-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Welcome and thanks for donating! Thank your husband for serving us!

bj72
02-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks everyone, and breakyourchains...thanks, I will.

I didn't think about transaction fees....all at once does make more sense. In that vein....I'm gonna wait for a couple of hours...when he gets up, I'll be up again with the baby. So, I'll see if we can up to $201 then instead of just $102. He was doing our taxes today and looks like we are getting a decent refund (he said he corrected it for next year...claiming exemptions up front from now on since he hasn't been so far), he had tax free pay 1/2 the year while deployed, so that helped. So, he may go for it, we'll see. If not, we'll still at least be giving the $102. Though I'd like to send them a message. They may not read them all, but how cool to get blasted with a ton of messages of support on your anniversary. We've been happily married for 10 1/2 yrs, my parents have been for 37 yrs (and still passionately kiss in the kitchen in from of us all), and both sets of my grandparents were married 50+ yrs. It's getting harder these days to find people that have been married for a long time (and never previously married to boot). A good marriage takes a lot of work from both sides, committment, and chemistry. And I think that anyone at a high level of office, if married, should have a solid marriage to be able to weather the pressure that comes along with the job. The Paul's definitely seem to have that kind of comittment to each other and this country.

newyearsrevolution08
02-01-2008, 03:53 AM
agreed on what you said about the paul's 100%

they seem like amazing people who I hope to meet real soon.

Give that $201 if you can and if it seems like a big number do what I do.

Its like giving .55 cents a day for a year. Who cant give .55? lol

look at it like an investment in your future as I have thought about with my little family I have (great wife who I have been with for 8 years and a wild little 4 year old boy). We need to give them that future and it will NOT happen with anyone else on that stage besides ron paul as far as presidential candidates go.

My wife wants another kid soon and you being up for throughout the night brings back some bad memories of no sleep before or after work BUT man are they worth it.

Keep up the fight and great idea to first WAIT for the spouses opinion on an investment like this even if it is for your families future.

bj72
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks newyears...and everyone.

Well, I had to wait till he got home tonight, as it didn't work out this morning, and he was flying today, so he couldn't call me mid-day. We have learned over the years to always consult each other on financial decisions...we talk about everything though.

Anyway, we discussed it as we watched our 6 yr old daughter, 4 yr old son, and 4 month old son play together...you are right newyears...it is an investment in our future, not only in Ron Paul, but also in the ideas and the movement to reinstate and perserve the constitution which we need to pass down to our children.

We also liked the idea of sending a message to them on their anniversary. I know it's a bit of a marketing ploy (great one), but I loved the idea of them being innudated with messages of support on their anniversary. Especially since they seem very unassuming and humbled by the support of the movement.

So, my husband sent $201 earlier this evening :)

BTW, newyears, not gonna kid ya, the sleep deprevation has been an adjustment again, but it is worth it. And, imo it gets easier with each child. They entertain each other, and your confidence and skill as parents grows.

ronpaulyourmom
02-02-2008, 01:12 AM
What a great thread. I'm gonna donate again before the 5th.