PDA

View Full Version : The implications of Ron Paul outlasting the Huckster and McCain are mindboggling

linusPAULing
01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Finally, a debate worth watching!

If we can keep these money bombs coming, that just might happen.

DeadtoSin
01-31-2008, 11:55 PM
A lot of people talk bad about money bombs like we shouldn't do them anymore... Well look, they are an old idea, but they are still working to some degree. It doesn't take too much focus off canvassing, so I think we should keep the money bombs going.

louisiana4liberty
01-31-2008, 11:57 PM
tortoise versus the hare...you know who wins.

Original_Intent
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I would rather see it down to McCain and Paul rather than Romney and Paul.

McCain is a complete fool and that would be quickly evident in a one on one with just them.

Romney has the looks and is smart enough that I think he could dance around Paul's message and give RP a serious debate. So I hope Tuesday obviously doesnt give McCain enough delegates to win it all, but I hope he gets enough to discourage Romney into quitting.

LukeNM
02-01-2008, 12:07 AM
McCain and Paul would also take age out of the equation…

gerryb
02-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Romney would be a tougher nut to crack on the economy as well. He knows a lot about business and most likely about economics at large, so he could counter any of RP's points with BS much easier than McCain can.

dt_
02-01-2008, 12:09 AM
McCain won't drop out. He's the frontrunner.

jsu718
02-01-2008, 12:12 AM

So was Giuliani

linusPAULing
02-01-2008, 12:15 AM

So would I... I just think McCain is likely to run out of money before Romney. Also, for some reason, Romney somehow keep's beating the exit polls. He has the most amazing luck that way :)

If McCain doesn't do well on Tuesday, money is going to be hard to come by.

McCain is a complete fool and that would be quickly evident in a one on one with just them.

Romney has the looks and is smart enough that I think he could dance around Paul's message and give RP a serious debate. So I hope Tuesday obviously doesnt give McCain enough delegates to win it all, but I hope he gets enough to discourage Romney into quitting.

I guess Romney is smart enough. He still talks too much to say too little imo, at least in the debates. He wouldn't be able to get away with that if he were debating RP... he'd have to start talking about the real issues. I think it remains to be seen if he's up to it.

bcreps85
02-01-2008, 12:17 AM
McCain would be easier to beat than Romney.

McCain is a warmongering idiot who can't contain his temper and would be incapable of any kind of diplomatic intentions, not to mention since he still uses words like "gook" in his speech he is going to get the rap of a racist quickly.

Romney on the other hand is an intelligent lying business man with the devil's grin and wavy hair to boot. Much more of a threat, and much harder to attack.

Mitt is a guy that the base would settle for, unfortunately. McCain on the other hand has those people who absolutely hate him and will never vote for him no matter what, just like Clinton (which is why we want Clinton to win against Obama, she'll be easier to take down).

zebov
02-01-2008, 12:20 AM
You guys, money doesn't matter now. All that has to happen is for one candidate to clearly devour the Super Tuesday states. If a single candidate comes out on top at that point, they don't have to spend another red cent. All they have to do is let everyone else drop out and take a bow. Super Tuesday is important. It will define how long this race will last. If it turns out ~1/3 Romney, ~1/3 McCain, ~1/3 Huckabee, and a few Paul states, then that would be AWESOME because it means the race is still on. And then at that point money matters again. The absolute WORST thing for us would be for one candidate to sweep all the states. Even if Paul doesn't outright win any states (but just peels off some delegates), we still want the others to do about equally well. This way, we can stay in it, because the others have to stay in it.

bcreps85
02-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Fortunately, looking at things like Yahoo! buzz and whatnot shows the interest in different candidates amongst the different states. I think it will split things up nicely, and if RP takes a few states we're in this for the gold.

linusPAULing
02-01-2008, 12:23 AM

If McCain and Romney go head to head in the next few primaries, Romney will likely win the war of attrition imo because of his money.

Really, though, my main point is that if RP can last to the final 2, the main stream media will fall into total chaos. They will not be able to prevent him from speaking.

And with Romney and McCain battling for the same delegates, and RP standing alone with the ENORMOUS grassroots support, this could happen.

lasenorita
02-01-2008, 12:24 AM
So would I... I just think McCain is likely to run out of money before Romney. Also, for some reason, Romney somehow keep's beating the exit polls. He has the most amazing luck that way :)

Didn't McCain just raise $7 million in the first three weeks of January? Unfortunately, the more momentum he has, the more he'll receive from big donors. As for Romney's amazing luck, it's really no wonder since his perceived opponent is McCain --- a faux conservative if there ever was one. We need Ron Paul to do well on Super Tuesday to give us some breathing room, and to encourage people to help us outlast the other candidates.

cheese
02-01-2008, 12:25 AM
be prepared! when it's ron vs. romney, romney will refuse to debate paul and not risk giving him any coverage. they will declare victory. just be ready for it

linusPAULing
02-01-2008, 12:26 AM
You guys, money doesn't matter now. All that has to happen is for one candidate to clearly devour the Super Tuesday states. If a single candidate comes out on top at that point, they don't have to spend another red cent. All they have to do is let everyone else drop out and take a bow. Super Tuesday is important. It will define how long this race will last. If it turns out ~1/3 Romney, ~1/3 McCain, ~1/3 Huckabee, and a few Paul states, then that would be AWESOME because it means the race is still on. And then at that point money matters again. The absolute WORST thing for us would be for one candidate to sweep all the states. Even if Paul doesn't outright win any states (but just peels off some delegates), we still want the others to do about equally well. This way, we can stay in it, because the others have to stay in it.

Well, if no one is a clear winner after Super Tuesday, I think RP will still have to make enormous amounts of money to stay in it.... it is absolutely essential to compete with the media blackout.

linusPAULing
02-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Didn't McCain just raise $7 million in the first three weeks of January? Unfortunately, the more momentum he has, the more he'll receive from big donors. As for Romney's amazing luck, it's really no wonder since his perceived opponent is McCain --- a faux conservative if there ever was one. We need Ron Paul to do well on Super Tuesday to give us some breathing room, and to encourage people to help us outlast the other candidates.

He apparently did make a ton of money after NH, but he started out Q1 in much worse shape than Romney. If McCain keeps clearing beating Romney, then sure, he'll continue making a lot of money. If McCain goes head to head with Romney, people won't want to waste their money on McCain by competing with Romney's war chest.

linusPAULing
02-01-2008, 12:32 AM
be prepared! when it's ron vs. romney, romney will refuse to debate paul and not risk giving him any coverage. they will declare victory. just be ready for it

That's an interesting thought... the media would probably allow him to get away with it.

driller80545
02-01-2008, 12:34 AM
After watching the news today, I'm pretty sure McCain already won!

jarofclay
02-01-2008, 12:51 AM
After watching the news today, I'm pretty sure McCain already won!

oh yeah the GOP can't stand McCain. He will fail

Thanehand
02-01-2008, 12:58 AM
You guys, money doesn't matter now. All that has to happen is for one candidate to clearly devour the Super Tuesday states.

Uh, you're joking, right?

Without advertising in all those states, Ron Paul won't stand a chance. In fact, the states he has been doing good in are the states he's advertising heavily in.

Advertising costs money, and last time I checked, February 5th wasn't here yet.

He needs more money NOW.

nightlight
02-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Romney has the looks and is smart enough that I think he could dance around Paul's message and give RP a serious debate.

Romney looks good at first sight. But, it was perfectly obvious in the last debate that he can't see the forest for the trees. His mind gets tangled up into details and he can't see the larger patterns. His ego further clouds his judgment and bogs him down into petty squabbles. All that was quite evident in the debate and Ron Paul easily exploited these weaknesses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhAokoMgSDc) making Romney look like a spoiled little brat.

Our good doctor is in a class for himself in the present field, an intellectual, ethical and visionary giant among pigmies.

InLoveWithRon
02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
McCain and Paul would also take age out of the equation…

That's a good point.

Dave Pedersen
02-01-2008, 01:06 AM
When most people hear McCain they automatically think War Hero, POW Hero, Veteran Hero, Hero,hero,hero...

McCain has an Achilles' heal which is the pow/mia families' hatred of McCain. It would be far better for the grassroots to use negative attacks than to wait for the candidates to do it. They might simply decide not to. They probably would have already if they were going to.

So then those people who make videos for youtube may want to make several anti-McCain videos focusing directly and mercilessly on his handling of the family's efforts for information as Senator McCain. Don't get distracted by rumors about his conduct during his imprisonment any more than necessary. Focus on his totally inexplicable conduct as a Senator with regards to this pow/mia issue.

Senator McCain, why have you repeatedly failed to assist the families of pows/mias in their goal to uncover information leading to the whereabouts of their loved ones? As a former pow yourself why have you repeatedly blocked those efforts?

We have three days to cast doubt in the minds of the supporters of Senator McCain. Before Super Tuesday.

InLoveWithRon
02-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Romney looks good at first sight. But, it was perfectly obvious in the last debate that he can't see the forest for the trees. His mind gets tangled up into details and he can't see the larger patterns. His ego further clouds his judgment and bogs him down into petty squabbles. All that was quite evident in the debate and Ron Paul easily exploited these weaknesses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhAokoMgSDc) making Romney look like a spoiled little brat.

Our good doctor is in a class for himself in the present field, an intellectual, ethical and visionary giant among pigmies.

good post on romney. and so true

WRellim
02-01-2008, 01:27 AM

Yes, but a lot of that was problematic for him for several reasons:

1) He had DEBTS of $4.5 M from 4th Qtr (and yes he had $2.9M cash, but THAT was spent in IA, NH & SC).

2) So $7M - $4.5M = $2.5M "left" (not that he's averse to deficit financing... economics not being area of expertise.)

3) Not all of the $7M was for the primaries, like Romney, many of his donors are maxed out and still contribute in order to get the tete-a-tete (so those funds are "general election" only).

4) He also spent HEAVILY on the Florida win, and he IS trying to set up offices in various BIG Feb 5th states and maintain staff there.

So, what he is REALLY counting on is that with the Rudy & Arnold endorsements, he would also get a huge flood of incoming money -- whether it will be enough and in time for Feb 5th... good question. Right now he's being "cocky" with his media-anointed "inevitability" status... many others have had that as well, and it doesn't always last.

This is NOT over yet.

(BTW, Romney donated ANOTHER $18M to his campaign in 4th Qtr, so he may still run a lot of ads... not sure what's really up with those as I don't live in a Feb 5 state and really don't watch MSM at all anyway).

N13
02-01-2008, 01:29 AM
More than anything, we need to win some states on Feb 5.

Crickett
02-01-2008, 01:31 AM
More than anything, we need to win some states on Feb 5.

Yes and more money in the bombs..so far this is looking like a firecracker...but we all do what we can..

zebov
02-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Uh, you're joking, right?

Without advertising in all those states, Ron Paul won't stand a chance. In fact, the states he has been doing good in are the states he's advertising heavily in.

Advertising costs money, and last time I checked, February 5th wasn't here yet.

He needs more money NOW.

Oh I agree completely. What I'm saying is that if someone sweeps super tuesday, then money won't matter. You can run all the ads you want at that point but the super tuesday sweeper will have already been crowned winner and the rest of the votes will fall in line. Our hope is that super tuesday is split at which point Paul's fundraising prowess will be useful again.

I was in no way saying people shouldn't donate! DO DONATE! TODAY! TOMORROW! Every day until Paul gets the presidency! I'm just hoping that our donations will be useful even after Super Tuesday.

Feelgood
02-01-2008, 02:56 AM
oh yeah the GOP can't stand McCain. He will fail

The GOP cant stand Ron Paul...your point? :confused:

Yes and more money in the bombs..so far this is looking like a firecracker...but we all do what we can..

Yeah, 4 hours into the money bomb and we have $125k so far... :rolleyes:

Thunderbolt
02-01-2008, 04:30 AM

Romney is smart? I disagree completely. I think he comes across as petulant child who doesn't have a single thought in his head that he created. Paul's best chance is against him. There are a lot of very prejudiced people in this country. Romney also is nothing more than a parrot and would look like a moron next to Paul.

Molly1
02-01-2008, 04:45 AM
When most people hear McCain they automatically think War Hero, POW Hero, Veteran Hero, Hero,hero,hero...

McCain has an Achilles' heal which is the pow/mia families' hatred of McCain. It would be far better for the grassroots to use negative attacks than to wait for the candidates to do it. They might simply decide not to. They probably would have already if they were going to.

So then those people who make videos for youtube may want to make several anti-McCain videos focusing directly and mercilessly on his handling of the family's efforts for information as Senator McCain. Don't get distracted by rumors about his conduct during his imprisonment any more than necessary. Focus on his totally inexplicable conduct as a Senator with regards to this pow/mia issue.

Senator McCain, why have you repeatedly failed to assist the families of pows/mias in their goal to uncover information leading to the whereabouts of their loved ones? As a former pow yourself why have you repeatedly blocked those efforts?

We have three days to cast doubt in the minds of the supporters of Senator McCain. Before Super Tuesday.

Mccain could really be knocked right out of the race by this. He places all his worth on being a 'war hero.' So if the families of the real war heros--the POW's and MIA's--don't think highly of him, that could ruin his one talking point.

I believe the ad that so successfully knocked Dukakis out (the willie horton ad) was done by a grassroots organization. Anyone else hear that?

But such an ad would have to go on tv to have an impact. Where is that billionaire? :mad:

Molly1
02-01-2008, 05:00 AM
By the way, negative ads don't have to be nasty. You can just tell the truth about the other candidate's positions, or push a little on their achilles heels.

So, for instance, you could explain that Huckabee abolishing the irs does not mean that he is abolishing taxes. You just pay taxes in another form, every time you buy something.

Whereas Ron Paul wants to abolish taxes completely for the individual, and he will do that by cutting expenses overseas.

It could simply be 'the citizens' committee to inform citizens.'

"Be informed before you vote."

well, I don't know how any of this works legally, so that's for someone else to figure out.

IDefendThePlatform
02-01-2008, 05:21 AM
I'm predicting McCain pulls far enough ahead after Super Tuesday that at least Huck drops out. Romney might last a little longer, but once he is gone I don't think there will be hardly any attention on the campaign anyway. I think Dr. P will probably just keep plugging away until the convention, when he'll get one more chance to make some noise.

Unless all the polls really are wrong and we suddenly dominate on super tuesday....(crosses fingers) :)